• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Are you a headphone or speaker user?

Which way do you consume your music?

• I mostly use speakers.

Votes: 122 51.9%
  • I mostly use headphones.

Votes: 62 26.4%
  • I use headphones and speakers equally.

Votes: 51 21.7%

• Total voters
Speakers. Headphones for live sounding monitoring and checking mixes and every once in a while when traveling. Headphone listening is certainly pleasing enough but much less close to the ideal of recreating a live event at home. Bass from live music is not just in your ears and I have never heard headphones create an expansive sound stage outside my head. I think there is tech coming down the pike that might do that but it won't solve the body sensation problem.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It would’ve been interesting to see a corresponding ballot question underneath, asking the age bracket of the responder.
Hard to do that with forum software. Would have to use surveymonkey or some such thing for that.

I like in close quarters, both with my neighbors and with my husband. Neither like music from speakers, at least at the levels I'd like to listen to. So headphones (closed back) it is!

soundwave76

Patreon Donor
I have been switching back and forth depending on the gear. Some five years ago I was a headphone guy, but then I got tinnitus (from headphones, be caerful out there!) and switched to a nearfield speaker guy when I also got better gear (Genelec 8331+7350). Now after buying the Stax L300 Limited I just might be leaning more, again, to a headphone guy... :)

RichB

Speakers for music, HT, and when working out.
In ear noise cancelling headphones for air travel, lawn mowing, stationary biking.
Over-ear noise cancelling for snow blowing (keeps me warm).

- Rich

I have been switching back and forth depending on the gear. Some five years ago I was a headphone guy, but then I got tinnitus (from headphones, be caerful out there!) and switched to a nearfield speaker guy when I also got better gear (Genelec 8331+7350). Now after buying the Stax L300 Limited I just might be leaning more, again, to a headphone guy... :)
I am careful and never played over 80db for a couple hours a day but still got tinnitus anyway.

soundwave76

Patreon Donor
^ I am sorry. When mine started it took me to very dark waters for many months. It's so important to listen at low volumes and also to take breaks, probably every 20-30 minutes in my opinion.

Top Bottom