• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 30 7.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 365 90.8%

• Total voters

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In these small enclosures, with their efficient amplifiers, the metal of the case is part of the thermal solution an a way that it's not for something bigger with internal finned heatsinks relying more on internal airflow. So they will feel warmer.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't the VTV Purifi with Weiss op amps measure worse than the eval buffer?
I think the VTV Purifi units generally measured slightly worse than the EVAL1 units, no matter what opamps were used in the VTV. But that’s neither here nor there.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the VTV Purifi units generally measured slightly worse than the EVAL1 units, no matter what opamps were used in the VTV. But that’s neither here nor there.
It's relevant if the measured performance degrades using the Weiss op amps vs the eval 1 buffer. But looking back at the review w/ Sparkos op amps it appears there were other issues which degraded the performance but not the op amps. AFAIK no buffer has measured better than the OG Eval 1.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's relevant if the measured performance degrades using the Weiss op amps vs the eval 1 buffer. But looking back at the review w/ Sparkos op amps it appears there were other issues which degraded the performance but not the op amps. AFAIK no buffer has measured better than the OG Eval 1.
What I am trying to say is that how one opamp performs in one circuit isn’t necessarily indicative of how it will perform in another. That the Weiss had increased noise or distortion in VTV’s Purifi implementation over the EVAL1 doesn’t mean it will necessarily have higher noise or distortion in Apollon’s NCx500 buffer circuit.

KlausH

I have a NAD M22 that I bought in 2015, which I believe would make it the first generation. I find the Apollon intriguing but wonder if it would be a worthwhile upgrade from the M22. Any insights? Anyone here upgrade to recent Hypex or Purifi from M22 who could share what to expect from such an upgrade? Thanks

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a NAD M22 that I bought in 2015, which I believe would make it the first generation. I find the Apollon intriguing but wonder if it would be a worthwhile upgrade from the M22. Any insights? Anyone here upgrade to recent Hypex or Purifi from M22 who could share what to expect from such an upgrade? Thanks
You are unlikely to have any audible improvement.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

You are unlikely to have any audible improvement.
Agree, I’d spent the money on something else.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn, 500w into 4 ohms before the knee. Who needs this kind of power for speakers?
Well, if you look at that Purifi reference design, it's great except they say 84 dB sensitivity. If you want to use the linear output power it purports to be capable of then a cheap AVR probably won't be the best ;)
I'd like to see Purifi do a bigger, higher sensitivity woofer mated to a bigger horn but I guess that's another thread.

sarieri

Forum Donor
I wonder what is the difference between the original R0 of NCx500 and its R1 revision. It looks like on the R1 amp board two caps are taken away comparing to the orignal R0. The modules reviewed in ASR so far seems to be all R0s (starting with 00xx).

Attachments

• 33A8AEE7B4CC48F9229C62C8D5800F9A.jpg
    33A8AEE7B4CC48F9229C62C8D5800F9A.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 115

WiFiHiFi

Hi All and apologies if this question is better suited elsewhere but if I was looking to use my AVR's pre-outs to feed this power amp, would the gain settings work with the following pre out levels i.e. 2.6 V/1.2 kohms?

WiFiHiFi

Hi All and apologies if this question is better suited elsewhere but if I was looking to use my AVR's pre-outs to feed this power amp, would the gain settings work with the following pre out levels i.e. 2.6 V/1.2 kohms?
Unbalanced of course

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, with the biggest gain setting (29dB) and 2.6V out of the preamp, you get 73V out from the amp. Enough for 650+W at 8ohm. Clearly more than enough, you'd probably want one of the lower settings.

WiFiHiFi

Yes, with the biggest gain setting (29dB) and 2.6V out of the preamp, you get 73V out from the amp. Enough for 650+W at 8ohm. Clearly more than enough, you'd probably want one of the lower settings.
Thank you @antcollinet , appreciate the guidance.
I’m finally looking to get some clean power, and saw this as a good first step -using my existing integrated amp as a preamp. Next step a DAC/preamp. Are the topping DACs suitable when used in preamp mode or are they at their best used as a pure DAC?
Thanks again!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @antcollinet , appreciate the guidance.
I’m finally looking to get some clean power, and saw this as a good first step -using my existing integrated amp as a preamp. Next step a DAC/preamp. Are the topping DACs suitable when used in preamp mode or are they at their best used as a pure DAC?
Thanks again!
Topping dacs will be fine in preamp mode.

Also consider something like a MiniDSP Flex, which could also do room EQ for you.

marcus_ec

Is it ok with low gain settings with my Lyngdorf DPA-1?

Balanced output8.8Vrms

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it ok with low gain settings with my Lyngdorf DPA-1?

Balanced output8.8Vrms
12.8dB = x4.37 = 38.5V ouput = 185W into 8 ohms / 370W into 4 ohm.

Proably about spot on - plenty of power while still well away from clipping. If you wanted to get the maximum power out though you'd need to go to the second gain setting.

Top Bottom