• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 357 90.6%

• Total voters

Aerius-Aye

Forum Donor
Just ordered one with silver case. Can't wait! :p
Me too. Too good to resist, especially for the $. I am a big Benchmark fan, but at 1/3rd the price of the AHB, and lots more power too, I could not hold back. Yep, can't wait for this one to arrive. Got it in the handsome dark gray. Unlike a few other members, I really love the rounded corners, and especially the vented design. I believe the rounded corners actually make the unit stronger too. I love an amp that really uses the chassis for cooling!

Last edited:

Music0373

Is the Eversolo DMP A6 Stremer/DAC/PRE pre-stage good enough for this poweramp? I'm currently using an integrated amp via xlr connection and would like to "get rid" of it, if this combination with NCx500ST would be good?

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is the Eversolo DMP A6 Stremer/DAC/PRE pre-stage good enough for this poweramp? I'm currently using an integrated amp via xlr connection and would like to "get rid" of it, if this combination with NCx500ST would be good?

preamp / power amp integration is based in gain / impedance match ... that's the greatest factor in the "good enough".
After that, the preamp need a basic SQ performance, something like a "commodity" in the actual state of the art.

so ... check that output voltage in the eversolo can drive the hypex to max power and the output impedance more or less 10 times less than hypex.

Music0373

preamp / power amp integration is based in gain / impedance match ... that's the greatest factor in the "good enough".
After that, the preamp need a basic SQ performance, something like a "commodity" in the actual state of the art.

so ... check that output voltage in the eversolo can drive the hypex to max power and the output impedance more or less 10 times less than hypex.

Thanks for your answer. I wont need max power, since I can easily live today with 2x80W 8ohm integrated amp.
I have found these specs of Eversolo and of this Apollon NCc500ST Poweramp.
I will use XLR output on Eversolo. Since I don't quite understand what you mean by: output impedance more or less 10 times less than hypex.
Do you mean Output level of Eversolo, it looks like it is XLR 5V, is that "compatible"?

Official specs of Eversolo DMP A6:
Output level: XLR 5 V; RCA 2.5V
Frequency response: 20Hz~20KHz XLR/RCA ( 土 0. 15dB)
Dynamic range:XLR > 128dB/RCA > 124dB
SNR: XLR >128dB/RCA >124dB
THD+N: XLR:<0.000092%(-120dB) /RCA :<0.00011%(-119dB) @A-Wt
Crosstalk:XLR>125dB/RCA>124dB

Apollon NCx500ST:
Frequency Response: 0 – 70k Hz +0/-3dB
Low Distortion: THD+N – – 0.0002 % 20Hz-20kHz
High Input Impedance 50K
Signal to noise ratio: 137dB
Gain (dB) 12,8/20,5/27,5/29
Ultra High Damping Factor
High Current Output
Power rating: 675W @ 2ohm | 650W @ 4ohm | 380W @ 8ohm

My speakers minimum impedance is 4.3ohm.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Thanks for your answer. I wont need max power, since I can easily live today with 2x80W 8ohm integrated amp.
I have found these specs of Eversolo and of this Apollon NCc500ST Poweramp.
I will use XLR output on Eversolo. Since I don't quite understand what you mean by: output impedance more or less 10 times less than hypex.
Do you mean Output level of Eversolo, it looks like it is XLR 5V, is that "compatible"?

Official specs of Eversolo DMP A6:
Output level: XLR 5 V; RCA 2.5V
Frequency response: 20Hz~20KHz XLR/RCA ( 土 0. 15dB)
Dynamic range:XLR > 128dB/RCA > 124dB
SNR: XLR >128dB/RCA >124dB
THD+N: XLR:<0.000092%(-120dB) /RCA :<0.00011%(-119dB) @A-Wt
Crosstalk:XLR>125dB/RCA>124dB

Apollon NCx500ST:
Frequency Response: 0 – 70k Hz +0/-3dB
Low Distortion: THD+N – – 0.0002 % 20Hz-20kHz
High Input Impedance 50K
Signal to noise ratio: 137dB
Gain (dB) 12,8/20,5/27,5/29
Ultra High Damping Factor
High Current Output
Power rating: 675W @ 2ohm | 650W @ 4ohm | 380W @ 8ohm

My speakers minimum impedance is 4.3ohm.
It will be fine.

kik

Hi, I'd also like to better understand what you mean with the output impedance level because I want to built a similar setup with EverSolo DAC-Z6, Apollon Hypex NCx500ST to drive MA silver 200 7G and I'm trying to find out if all of this makes sense.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Hi, I'd also like to better understand what you mean with the output impédance level because I want to built a similar setup with EverSolo DAC-Z6, Apollon Hypex NCx500ST to drive MA silver 200 7G and I'm trying to find out if all of this makes sense.
Thanks for your help.
Hi. You might be better quoting the text you are referring to. As it is we cant understand the question.

kik

Hi. You might be better quoting the text you are referring to. As it is we cant understand the question.
Thanks for the suggestion, I have updated my reply. But basically I'd like to know, based on the specs, how I can know if the Apollon Hypex NCx500ST is a good match with the EverSolo DAC-Z6.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Thanks for the suggestion, I have updated my reply. But basically I'd like to know, based on the specs, how I can know if the Apollon Hypex NCx500ST is a good match with the EverSolo DAC-Z6.
Generally when talking about interconnecting audio kit then matching is almost never an issue.

Outputs will have low impedance. (typically 100 ohms - sometimes maybe as high as 200 ohms) Inputs will have high impedacnce (typically 10K ohms are higher)

There are some very rare exceptions - but it is not normally something to worry about. If you want to check, you just need to ensure that input impedance of the recieving devices is 10x or more higher than the output impedance of the sending device. If (in the very rare case) not then you may need to investigate a little more - but will still often be OK.

In your case, the apollon is 50K input, the Eversolo doesn't seem to be specified, but there is no way it will be high enough to be a problem with the Apollon.

Last edited:
Reactions: kik

Steph-Hifi

As i know my Revel Salon Ultima 2 are very power hungry, do you think it could be a good match with them or do i need much power ?

marcus_ec

I cannot get my Lyngdorf DPA-1 to trigger start my power amp. Is it to low mA?
From manual: The output voltage is 12V and a maximum current of 50mA can be drawn from the output.

wavetrade

Generally when talking about interconnecting audio kit then matching is almost never an issue.

Outputs will have low impedance. (typically 100 ohms - sometimes maybe as high as 200 ohms) Inputs will have high impedacnce (typically 10K ohms are higher)

There are some very rare exceptions - but it is not normally something to worry about. If you want to check, you just need to ensure that input impedance of the recieving devices is 10x or more higher than the output impedance of the sending device. If (in the very rare case) not then you may need to investigate a little more - but will still often be OK.

In your case, the apollon is 50K input, the Eversolo doesn't seem to be specified, but there is no way it will be high enough to be a problem with the Apollon.
Hello. I am trying to figure out how to calculate the output wattage using the gain of the equipment. And not quite there... Wondering if you might help with one more calculation?

I am using a DO300 dac that puts out 5.2 Vrms over XLR. And considering bypassing the buffer on a Audiophonics S600NCX that would have a gain of 12.5dB. Would you be willing to tell me the max wattage this combo would provide? I would like to get to the higher side of my volume control even if it costs me some watts.

Thank you!

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello. I am trying to figure out how to calculate the output wattage using the gain of the equipment. And not quite there... Wondering if you might help with one more calculation?

I am using a DO300 dac that puts out 5.2 Vrms over XLR. And considering bypassing the buffer on a Audiophonics S600NCX that would have a gain of 12.5dB. Would you be willing to tell me the max wattage this combo would provide? I would like to get to the higher side of my volume control even if it costs me some watts.

Thank you!
Stick with the 19.0dB gain you will need it.

Voltage gain = 10^(12.5/20) = 4.217
5.2V * 4.217 = 22V (I'm rounding a bit)
22Vrms will give you 60W into 8 ohms or 120W into 4ohms
Not enough gain.

AkodoGilador

Stick with the 19.0dB gain you will need it.

Voltage gain = 10^(12.5/20) = 4.217
5.2V * 4.217 = 22V (I'm rounding a bit)
22Vrms will give you 60W into 8 ohms or 120W into 4ohms
Not enough gain.
Given how many amplifiers out there are that are rated for 50W, you may well find the 60W (or 120W, depending on your speakers) to be ample!

Alex

AkodoGilador

Also, the gain controls on the Audiophonics amps are on the bottom, so testing with and without the buffer should be pretty simple.

Alex

Top Bottom