• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anybody else listen to progressive House?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Agreed I have no idea what the difference is either o_O

Me neither to be honest. But it doesn't really matter, if you ask me. Often when music is designed to fit neatly within a specific genre it becomes unbearably dull. Most of the time when I try to discover new music using a certain genre as the guideline I reach a dead end really quickly.

Here's some more get-your-ass-on-the-dance-floor House:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Solveit
Is there a manual that comes with the CD ?
I mean, what mushrooms do they recommend as supplement ?

Joke apart, it's slightly repetitive, no:rolleyes: ?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well couldn't say I could tell you the difference among the many monikers synth/electronic music takes these days, but listening to the first four posted at least, not doing anything for me. I'm also in my sixties.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would New Order, or Joy Division be classified?

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Joy Division: post-punk. And one of the greatest bands ever.

New Order: a bridge from post-punk to alternative dance and new wave. Also a brilliant band :)
New Order, or specifically Blue Monday 12" were unknowingly influential on the Chicago house scene, with a bunch of other 12" out of the UK, when this music crossed back to the UK it became Acid house, which then spawned the Rave scene. This get's discussed in the Peter Hook book, which is entertaining.
1602077352104.png

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is an older progressive house song I like. I know it's progressive house because its on the Ministry of Sound Progression CD. lol

I like that, it sounds more gentle trance or Techno to me that house, but these terms endlessly confuse me. I was going to ask what slapping progressive on the front of a genre means, but it seems no one else knows either.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm not that much older than the OP but I wouldn't know Progressive House from liberal, moderate or social democratic House. Have a feeling I would hate it if drum machines are involved .

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like that, it sounds more gentle trance or Techno to me that house, but these terms endlessly confuse me. I was going to ask what slapping progressive on the front of a genre means, but it seems no one else knows either.

That's why I mentioned it's older. What I hear labeled as progressive house today is not the same as it was 10 years ago. The genre seems to have evolved, as they are prone to do.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
New Order, or specifically Blue Monday 12" were unknowingly influential on the Chicago house scene, with a bunch of other 12" out of the UK, when this music crossed back to the UK it became Acid house, which then spawned the Rave scene. This get's discussed in the Peter Hook book, which is entertaining.
View attachment 86592

And to think, Blue Monday was really an 'accidental' track that started out just as something the band could playback electronically during their 'encores' while they snuck off to the dressing room for a beer :D

OP
S

Solveit

Nice on a little slower.
I feel to dance which I don't do so much anymore. :)

OP
S

Solveit

Ok my last one was a daily feeling sorry.
This is better!

Top Bottom