• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Android 14 supports bit-perfect USB audio

OP
A

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Lossless digital audio via USB has been possible with Android for almost decades. It works for me, for example, with various ancient tablets. So what is the point of this "news"?
No longer required to include USB audio drivers in every app that wants bit-perfect. It is provided by the system.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
to be fair Amir's company will probably include it with Version 12

12 < 14

checkmate libruls

also maybe you might need a subscription with that, brave new world

RosalieTheDog

It needs to be an app side change now. Not aware of any native streaming apps that have adopted so still need UAPP/ Hiby/ Neutron for now

Tidal has had bitperfect usb audio out on android for a while now, rendereing usbaudioplayer pro obsolete here.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal has had bitperfect usb audio out on android for a while now, rendereing usbaudioplayer pro obsolete here.
Ive had mixed success with Tidal on it. If you have a DAC that displays the sample rate of the input, see what it says, its shows stuff at 48khz for me even if I let Tidal control the dac.

Dumdum

It did release its exclusive mode…. But it was a bit hit and miss… then it dropped it again… maybe they knew this was coming so didn’t want to put any more effort into getting exclusive mode, but pre now it wasn’t bit perfect sadly if exclusive mode didn’t work… this android 14 update may be a godsend, I’ve ordered an android phone already (Samsung a54 5G) and will put Android 14 on it and get back to you with results… let’s see who adopts it first of all the app manufacturers

Last edited:

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recently purchased a Samsung Tab S8+ on a great deal at Costco. I will have to see when the Tab S8+ update from Android 13 to 14 is going to happen. But this is good "bit perfect" news. I have yet to use the tablet for any audio other than its built in speakers and YouTube (lossy), but one of its great features is a micro USB slot that can hold cards up to 1TB. I just dropped in a 512GB today that I got for $30. That could hold a lot of songs!

OK Samsung, times a wastin'!

SashaR

after installation of USB Audio Player Pro hi-res codec it started upsampling everything to 192kHz out of the blue
Have you installed UAPP, or its hi-res codec? Second question about upsampling: does your UAPP work in upsample mode? And if yes, then does it work stably in this mode? Thank you!

SashaR

In my case it doesn't work for Tidal either. Haven't tried Qobuz as it's not available in my country.
I'm probably mixing topics, but I should note that Tidal (after version 2.90.0 for Android) STOPPED using an external DAC. Tidal requests permission to use USB DAC - BUT (!) transfers audio to the Android audio path. In the lg g7 thinq phone any audio is converted to 48, and in the gtking pro - to 96 kHz.

SashaR

Ive had mixed success with Tidal on it. If you have a DAC that displays the sample rate of the input, see what it says, its shows stuff at 48khz for me even if I let Tidal control the dac.
Tidal (after the version 2.90.0 for Android) STOPPED using an external DAC. Tidal requests permission to use USB DAC - BUT (!) transfers audio to the Android audio path. In the lg g7 thinq any audio is converted to 48, and in the gtking pro - to 96 kHz - theirs standard frequences. Try to use the version 2.90.0 - it uses the USB DAC.

SashaR

Tidal (after the version 2.90.0 for Android) STOPPED using an external DAC. Tidal requests permission to use USB DAC - BUT (!) transfers audio to the Android audio path. In the lg g7 thinq any audio is converted to 48, and in the gtking pro - to 96 kHz - theirs standard frequences. Try to use the version 2.90.0 - it uses the USB DAC.

Dumdum

It did release its exclusive mode…. But it was a bit hit and miss… then it dropped it again… maybe they knew this was coming so didn’t want to put any more effort into getting exclusive mode, but pre now it wasn’t bit perfect sadly if exclusive mode didn’t work… this android 14 update may be a godsend, I’ve ordered an android phone already (Samsung a54 5G) and will put Android 14 on it and get back to you with results… let’s see who adopts it first of all the app manufacturers
I have in to the fruit flavoured gods and now own an Apple iPhone pro 15 1tb all the space and bit perfect to an external spdif converter

dwstudeman

Lossless digital audio via USB has been possible with Android for almost decades. It works for me, for example, with various ancient tablets. So what is the point of this "news"?
I think someone is confusing bit-perfect versus resampling to 48kz.

Top Bottom