• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Android 14 supports bit-perfect USB audio

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Lossless USB audio​

Android 14 gains support for lossless audio formats for audiophile-level experiences over USB wired headsets. You can query a USB device for its preferred mixer attributes, register a listener for changes in preferred mixer attributes, and configure mixer attributes using a new AudioMixerAttributesclass. It represents the format, such as channel mask, sample rate, and behavior of the audio mixer. The class allows for audio to be sent directly, without mixing, volume adjustment, or processing effects. We are working with our OEM partners to enable this feature in devices later this year.
According to Android 14 beta blog, there will be native support for bypassing the mixer. Each app would probably need to implement this if appropriate.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I hope there is some sort of notification of bypassing the mixer when using an app that supports it rather then silence. I don't want another LG "Hi-Fi Status" app situation.

LucaJones

This addition to android 14 is a significant step forward for audio enthusiasts.
The support for lossless formats and bypassing the mixer ensures a pristine audio experience, providing users with more control and the ability to optimize their audio setup.

Can't wait for this feature to roll out.

A1x

I regret to inform that Android 14 did not introduce bit-perfect audio as expected. I checked my two freshly updated Pixel devices (with Chord Mojo 2 attached) and no luck on either of them. My Pixel 7 resamples regular lossless files to 48kHz while upsamples/downsamples hi-res lossless audio to 96kHz. The other phone (Pixel 4A 5G) did the same thing with internal Android audio codec but after installation of USB Audio Player Pro hi-res codec it started upsampling everything to 192kHz out of the blue.

OP
A

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I regret to inform that Android 14 did not introduce bit-perfect audio as expected. I checked my two freshly updated Pixel devices (with Chord Mojo 2 attached) and no luck on either of them.
Bit-perfect is still included in the list of API changes. Take note that your player app has to be updated, too.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
Why not just use the USBAudioPlayerPro app?
Has a built-in bit-perfect passthrough option to any attached DAC/dongle. Simplez.
Note the white dot on my Mojo = highest attainable bitrate. Album is DSD256 recoded to dsf.
btw OS is Android 11!

Mojo.jpg

A1x

Bit-perfect is still included in the list of API changes. Take note that your player app has to be updated, too.
I hope you're right. However the same apps that I tried on my Pixels allow me to play bitperfect audio on my Android 8.1 DAP (iBasso DX160). So I'm not so sure if any upcoming app update will change it for the better.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes- this certainly isnt an automatic thing. I checked both amazon music and spotify when my pixel updated and no prompt to let the app control the dac.

I'm sure the app makers/ streaming providers will start shouting about it soon enough. I would laugh my pants off if Spotify rolls out lossless then doesnt allow exclusive mode to pass to dac bit perfect.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope you're right. However the same apps that I tried on my Pixels allow me to play bitperfect audio on my Android 8.1 DAP (iBasso DX160). So I'm not so sure if any upcoming app update will change it for the better.
Just out of interest , how do you know? Does the DAC report the output sample rate?

A1x

Just out of interest , how do you know? Does the DAC report the output sample rate?
It does. Mojo indicates the sample rate with different colors. But I also have another DAC that simply shows the value on a display.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It does. Mojo indicates the sample rate with different colors. But I also have another DAC that simply shows the value on a display.
Must be the way the DAP has been set up then- definitely not the default way of Android devices handling audio even post A14,

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has a built-in bit-perfect passthrough option to any attached DAC/dongle. Simplez.
Note the white dot on my Mojo = highest attainable bitrate. Album is DSD256 recoded to dsf.
btw OS is Android 11!

View attachment 317002
Fine if you use local files , Qobuz or Tidal. No use to Spotify, Amazon etc....

A1x

In my case it doesn't work for Tidal either. Haven't tried Qobuz as it's not available in my country.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In my case it doesn't work for Tidal either. Haven't tried Qobuz as it's not available in my country.
UAPP doesn't work with tidal? Must be a region thing then. Fine in the UK

Deckard01

Does any user has Android 14 so as to confirm now if 14 have Bit Perfect or still need of use the UAPP?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does any user has Android 14 so as to confirm now if 14 have Bit Perfect or still need of use the UAPP?
It needs to be an app side change now. Not aware of any native streaming apps that have adopted so still need UAPP/ Hiby/ Neutron for now

David.P

Lossless digital audio via USB has been possible with Android for almost decades. It works for me, for example, with various ancient tablets. So what is the point of this "news"?

BillG

Major Contributor

Others can and do have different requirements that UAPP won't fulfill. For example, there are a number of very popular server protocols/APIs that it doesn't support; Plex, Emby, Jellyfin, Subsonic, and Kodi to be precise.

I personally never cared about bit-perfect playback. I'm always going to apply some form of DSP when listening on my mobile, even if it's just a simple EQ. That in itself renders bit-perfect irrelevant since I'm manipulating the source data stream.

I only care that whatever resampling that the OS deems to do suitable is high fidelity. I've seen nothing indicating that Android's isn't.

Top Bottom