• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

Razorhelm

For those of us who like coaxials these look pretty exciting!

Hope they measure well

mofi-sourcepoint-10.png.webp

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I was about to post it. Looks very promising. A 10" dual concentric could be quite a challenge, tho. The price seems right, it looks great, with solid construction:
1000016907.jpg
1000016916.jpg
1000016911.png
1000016912.jpg

Hope @hardisj, @amirm or @John Atkinson will have one to measure.

Whitepaper here.

ELECTRICAL SPECS

Frequency Response
42Hz-30kHz

Nominal Impedance
8 Ohms, 6.2 Ohms minimum

Sensitivity
91dB/2.83V/1m

Crossover Frequency
1.6kHz

Minimum Recommended Power
30W

Max Power Input
200W

PHYSICAL SPECS

Dimensions (WxHxD)
14.5" x 22.5" x 16.6" with grille
(368 x 572 x 422)

14.5" x 22.5" x 16" without grille
(368 x 572 x 406)

Weight
46.2 lb / 21kg each

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this announcement and the info... another huge Andrew Jones fan. I look forward to learning more about this interesting design.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the white paper link, that's really interesting
He certainly knows his stuff.

As he explains eloquently, a speaker is all about managing constraints that are caused by physics. The final design is always an optimisation. No correct driver can be made using the electromagnetic method used in vast majority of speakers. How you optimise not only makes the speaker comply to a standard but also how it sounds. I hope he did a good job.

Looking forward to see it tested by @amirm and the subjective reviews to follow.

3125b

Major Contributor
Looks very interesting, I wonder about IMD though, might be an issue with that design?

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He certainly knows his stuff.

As he explains eloquently, a speaker is all about managing constraints that are caused by physics. The final design is always an optimisation. No correct driver can be made using the electromagnetic method used in vast majority of speakers. How you optimise not only makes the speaker comply to a standard but also how it sounds. I hope he did a good job.

Looking forward to see it tested by @amirm and the subjective reviews to follow.
Not only is he a brilliant loudspeaker designer, he is an amazing communicator. He is able to reduce extremely complex physics into simple and uderstandable language.

Having just watched the video linked above and then the one on the MoFi site: https://www.mofielectronics.com/sourcepoint10
I was particularly struck by his reliance on subjective listening. Having talked with him in the past I know he uses the best measurement techniques available to him, but to hear him talk about "listening" was very interesting.

Many here will dismiss any speaker if it looks bad on paper, but every speaker is the culmination of countless compromises. If your goal is to end up with the best looking design on the measurement side or one that you enjoy listening to you will probably make different choices when faced with the need to make this or that compromise.
Looks very interesting, I wonder about IMD though, might be an issue with that design?
Yep, I bet he fought with that and it is one of the tradeoffs that he had to accept.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Wow. Mr. Jones dropped a ton of information on making a speaker. It was a fantastic non-engineering explanation. I think many people do not realize how much serious engineering goes into the speaker design. While he was talking it showed how changing one little thing cascades into affecting other things. His entire talk was about compromises. Trade offs that have to be made in real world engineering. Fantastic video. All non-engineering audio people should watch this video. Just for the design process and how everything is important. It shows a layman how saying "I want the best pair of speakers that I can get for $3000" has no real easy answer. So many variables, so many different designs.. That video made my day! :)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not only is he a brilliant loudspeaker designer, he is an amazing communicator.
I agree on the second part, this way he also fits MoFi quite well. Personally I don't expect state of the art measurements from what I see in the white paper but will be glad to be proven wrong, I am sure soon it will be measured by some of the good sources. Am sure though it will be a pleasant and well tuned voicing which can also play quite loudly.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I don't expect state of the art measurements from what I see in the white paper but will be glad to be proven wrong, I am sure soon it will be measured by some of the good sources.
Agreed on both counts.

I have every expectation that it will measure more poorly than many speakers. I also expect that it will sound subjectively better to me and others who have similar listening preferences than some of those speakers that measure brilliantly.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At the $3700 price point, I'm surprised they're not active.
This is not in the philosophy of MOFI which is specialized in vinyl and turntables

Godataloss

This is not in the philosophy of MOFI which is specialized in vinyl and turntables
I realize that, and turntables and cartridges only recently. To my knowledge they don't have an amplifier line to compete with. I think making these amplified would be a minimal cost (compared to purchase price) and make them a more appealing product. I don't see a lot of hifi people laying out that kind of money for Mofi speakers, but there are a lot of well-heeled record people that might.

Zvu

Well, they are 1300$ cheaper than Mission 770 so there might be a market for them after all... Especially if they sound good and present an easy amplifier load which is important for tube guys. 91dB at 8ohm is quite high sensitivity.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see a lot of hifi people laying out that kind of money for Mofi speakers
The few people I shared the announcement to were quite enthusiastic. As am I. Mofi is not a name in the speaker world (not to mention their recent bad buzz). Andrew Jones surely is.

I just hope these will be similarly priced in EU (or even available, to begin with).

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
For those of us who like coaxials these look pretty exciting!

Hope they measure well

mofi-sourcepoint-10.png.webp
This almost, but not quite pushed me over the edge to fly over to CapAudioFest this weekend. Not because I'm looking to second mortgage the house to buy them. Looking at the vendor list, there were just too few other vendors that really interest me. There are a few... yes.

I was disappointed to see that GR Research and PSAudio won't be doing standup comedy, either.

tuga

Major Contributor
Strange decision to design such a nice a multifaceted baffle and then adding a protruding edge around it.
So much for addressing diffraction...

xDoI9JU.png

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
The few people I shared the announcement to were quite enthusiastic. As am I. Mofi is not a name in the speaker world (not to mention their recent bad buzz). Andrew Jones surely is.

I just hope these will be similarly priced in EU (or even available, to begin with).
Wait for it...

The Mark II version, fixing issues
The Dilettante Pro model for half again the price for the elite -- with an art case and stand
The -S model for 55% of the price
The Debut 6-1/2" series that are smaller & lighter
The 5 inch version for your desktop
The Studio powered model

:) How do I know all this? ;)

Godataloss

Were they not put off at all by the pricel? They're striking, but I did not anticipate the almost $2k a speaker price. There is quite stiff competition at that level. I too was excited by the announcement having a fondness for vintage coaxial drivers myself and a respect for Jones's work. I just thought that it was a steep asking price for a company's debut speaker and that adding amplification (especially as specified by Jones) would add to their 'lifestyle' market appeal. Admittedly these are just my personal first impressions.

Top Bottom