• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier suggestion for bass (350-500 watt)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny. I start a account on this forum and hope for good and serious disussion. I post that I don't want any fan(!) and the whole thread is about fans that is "inaudible".
Good start, really.
Pretty fussy for a newb. Sorry to spoil your ideal thread. Good luck with your setup.

OP
N

NIN

Sorry, but you are wrong and spreading misinformation. I have a Crown XLS 1502 and have never heard the fan. Where do you get your ideas? Before making such claims, you need to substantiate. This is a science based forum. Measurements talk, BS walks.
:facepalm:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know why people are jumping down your throat about this fan issue. Seems reasonable enough. Lots of reasons to avoid pro amps anyway.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know why people are jumping down your throat about this fan issue. Seems reasonable enough. Lots of reasons to avoid pro amps anyway.
Name them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know why people are jumping down your throat about this fan issue. Seems reasonable enough. Lots of reasons to avoid pro amps anyway
Lots? Let's go full thread hijack! :) LOL. Amp fetishes can be so weird.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Oh for godness sake, stop arguing about fans. The OP doesn't want fans. Fair enough, they are a pain in the backside.

They may start of quiet, but they all get noisy eventually. And they fail. If you can't hear them, you won't know they've failed until your amplifier has a thermal failure. The bearings go, they fill up the interior of your amp with dust and the holes in the chassis allow insects inside.

The chassis cutouts for the fans corrode, especially if you are near the sea or have significant humidity in the air you are dragging through the unit. You should see what fans do to components on PCBs after years of pulling humid air across them. Basically, you trash the entire amplifier.

Fans are for pro amps, they have no place in home high fidelity audio gear. Get an amplifier with effective, large passive heatsinking and enjoy decades of reliability.

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The Crown drivecore amps are a good option - they are also available in fanless versions such as the Lexicon DD8, or the JBL CSA 1300Z / 2300Z

The Pro Audio versions - with Fan's don't seem to turn the fans on at all under any sort of load I have had on them.

Ran 2 XLS2500's ... never saw the fans activate, they are 440W into 8 ohm... and I think you would have to push them very hard indeed to get the fans going in any sort of domestic situation I can imagine! - Running my Gallo Ref 3.1 speakers... they barely idled, but provide plenty of dynamic headroom.

Various branches of Harman use the drivecore chips... but choice will potentially be limited as you are looking for the upper end of the power range - do a search for Drivecore

Dion_Sinewave

Forum Donor
Hey there, I used a Hypex NC502 (from March audio) for the bass drivers on my 3 way mains.
Then upgraded to Hypex NC1200 mono blocks (again just to power the bass drivers) from a custom manufacturer here in Australia and I couldn’t be happier.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone should get March audio on ASR, their amps seem to be popular.

Soundmixer

Funny. I start a account on this forum and hope for good and serious disussion. I post that I don't want any fan(!) and the whole thread is about fans that is "inaudible".
Good start, really.
Were you REALLY trying to start a serious discussion, or were you trying to support an already baked in perspective? If you really wanted this question answered;

"Amplifier suggestion for bass (350-500 watt)"

then amps with fans and ones that don't have fans should be thrown in the discussion. If you don't want to hear a fan in your quiet room, there are amps with fans that work well in a quiet room.

I have played the movie San Andreas at -10 below reference (which is loud as hell). During the loudest most sustained moments in that movie (all of the earthquake scenes) the fans on my Crown amps didn't even go on.

When you ask an open-ended question based solely on watts, expect a wide variety of answers that are based solely on watts.

Welcome to ASR. That water is great.....dive in!

antennaguru

I have two sub-bass towers with 4 X 12 inch carbon fiber woofers, each. So each set of 4 are wired in series-parallel, resulting in 4 ohms for each tower. There is a master sub-bass controller that connects to an accelerometer on one woofer in each tower, as well as the system line stage preamp. Driving these 8 woofers are two IcePower modules, which are silent, efficient, and very linear for bass info. I chose the IcePower modules and packaged them myself because they were the lowest cost option. I am very happy with them and have Open Baffle main speakers I built that are 95 dB (2.83 V @1m) efficient that I use with this bass system. The background noise level in my audio room is typically 22 dBA (very quiet). The speaker system will effortlessly play peaks over 100 dBA, at the listening position, so it can get as loud as live music. It is a single family home far from neighboring homes, so never a complaint.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would look for something based on a plate amp maybe something from Dayton Audio like this:

Chrise36

Major Contributor
And 15 years ago digital projector had "inky black level" according to some.
Like I said, I don't want any fan. It is my requirement so I don't get it why try to persuade me otherwise.
What if the amp shuts down is that better? My Crown XLS has never turned on the fan but whatever you buy make sure it will not shut down when driven hard.

audio2design

Major Contributor
I will second the plate amplifier that has some features for driving subs. It doesn't take a lot of technical power to make a good amplifier at 80 Hertz.

OP
N

NIN

Were you REALLY trying to start a serious discussion, or were you trying to support an already baked in perspective? If you really wanted this question answered;

"Amplifier suggestion for bass (350-500 watt)"

then amps with fans and ones that don't have fans should be thrown in the discussion. If you don't want to hear a fan in your quiet room, there are amps with fans that work well in a quiet room.

How about READ the first post?

"First post on this forum. I have 8 bassmodules that need good amplifiers (for 10-80 hz)
I need:
-At least 300 watt (8ohm) and 500 watt (8ohm) is better.
-The amplifier should have no problem with 2 bassmodules per channel (nom impedance 4,16 ohm, minimum 2,91 ohm).
-Safe to use.
-Preferly with a 12 volt trigger function.
-No fans!
-Class D if possible."

Clearly this forum is a vaste of time.

Soundmixer

How about reading the entire thread. The OP believes that fans are audible. The reality is some amplifiers with fans are not audible even under the most demanding bass passages. I mentioned mine because I have never heard the fans go on even when I play the most bass demanding soundtracks at -10 below reference.

If the goal is not to hear a fan, then it is wise to consider those amplifiers that have fans that are not audible. All I was (and others) were doing is pointing that out.

Honestly, I have never heard of ANYTHING being a "vaste" of time.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You people ar

"First post on this forum. I have 8 bassmodules that need good amplifiers (for 10-80 hz)
I need:
-The amplifier should have no problem with 2 bassmodules per channel (nom impedance 4,16 ohm, minimum 2,91 ohm).
-Safe to use.
-No fans!
-Class D if possible."

Clearly this forum is a vaste of time.
Sorry for the pedantic morons. You are allowed to set any criteria for anything you want to buy. I don't buy amps with fans because pro amps look tacky, and indeed some are audible.

My recommendations for VTV/Buckeye/Apollon still stand.

HighImpactAV

Hi

First post on this forum. I have 8 bassmodules that need good amplifiers (for 10-80 hz)
I need:
-Safe to use.
-No fans!
-Class D if possible.

One amplifier I have found is the VTV PASCAL L-PRO2S Four Channel Amplifier 4X800W, that could power all my bassmodules. But how is the quality? Are there any better?
I've been using SpeakerPower amps for several years. Their subwoofer plate amps and rack mount amps are used by many OEM's. The amps are Class D, have auto on plus 12v triggers, and have fans that have never turned on for me. The PS2-8000 is rated for 2 ohm loads and you can put 4 bass modules on each channel with parallel/parallel wiring.

SP2-8000-HT Dual Mono subwoofer Rack Amplifier

Top Bottom