• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier suggestion for bass (350-500 watt)

NIN

Hi

First post on this forum. I have 8 bassmodules that need good amplifiers (for 10-80 hz)
I need:
-At least 300 watt (8ohm) and 500 watt (8ohm) is better.
-The amplifier should have no problem with 2 bassmodules per channel (nom impedance 4,16 ohm, minimum 2,91 ohm).
-Safe to use.
-Preferly with a 12 volt trigger function.
-No fans!
-Class D if possible.

One amplifier I have found is the VTV PASCAL L-PRO2S Four Channel Amplifier 4X800W, that could power all my bassmodules. But how is the quality? Are there any better?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pascal modules are very sophisticated amplifiers used in some very high end speakers. Dutch + Dutch uses Pascal.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them for this application, but a more conventional approach would be to use pro amps such as Crown. Fan noise may be an issue but you can put them in an enclosure. Crown amps are very efficient, reliable, and have DSP channels should you want to adjust the response of your bass modules.

You may also look at the icepower/hypex amps sold by apollon audio or buckeye amplifiers.

OP
N

NIN

No fans is a must.
Any suggestion what Apollon audio/buckeye amplifiers?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No fans is a must.
Any suggestion what Apollon audio/buckeye amplifiers?

Apollon, Buckeye and VTV are not amplifier designers in the traditional sense, they essentially just put pre-built modules into cases, sometimes with different input buffers and one or two other features.

So, the question is less Apollon vs Buckeye vs VTV - choose the one with the best warranty, the nicest looking case and so on.

As far as what to choose between Hypex, Purefi, IcePower and Pascal? They're all excellent - icePower came out first, developed by Bang and Olufsen. Hypex came out next, then Pascal then Purifi. All are suitable for high end hifi use, and probably overkill for bass. I think in terms of sheer measurement excellence, Purifi is probably the best, followed by Hypex and then Pacal and icePower but all are very very good.

For bass use, I would recommend getting the most powerful modules, which would probably be the icePower 1200 modules.

Apollon sells an 8 channel 1200W amp:
Also sell a 4 and 6 channel version.

Also sell Hypex version, with less power:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW the Crown XLS has fans, but in my use have never been audible.

OP
N

NIN

Just curious, if they're inaudible what's the difference? It'd just bug you knowing they're there? :)

They are not inaudible. I have a very low noisefloor and fans will be audible. I'm not interested in that. :)

Reactions: 617

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are not inaudible. I have a very low noisefloor and fans will be audible. I'm not interested in that. :)

How do you know? I can put my ear up against them and not hear them....YMMV I guess, good luck!

ps remember discussing such with someone with an extremely quiet room, his complaint wasn't the fans but some hiss from the amps (to his high sensitivity horn speakers, not subs). He complained about hiss from his pre-pro, too. Ended up with Benchmark IIRC.

OP
N

NIN

How do you know? I can put my ear up against them and not hear them....YMMV I guess, good luck!

ps remember discussing such with someone with an extremely quiet room, his complaint wasn't the fans but some hiss from the amps. He complained about hiss from his pre-pro, too. Ended up with Benchmark IIRC.

And 15 years ago digital projector had "inky black level" according to some.
Like I said, I don't want any fan. It is my requirement so I don't get it why try to persuade me otherwise.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like I said, I don't want any fan. It is my requirement so I don't get it why try to persuade me otherwise.
It's a sensible requirement. I have moved away from pro amps as well.

What are the drivers in you bass modules?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not trying to persuade you particularly, more trying to understand your position. Lots more expensive your way for no benefit to my mind.

OP
N

NIN

I'm not trying to persuade you particularly, more trying to understand your position. Lots more expensive your way for no benefit to my mind.
No benefit for you, yes. But not for me. How hard can it be?

Reactions: 617
OP
N

NIN

It's a sensible requirement. I have moved away from pro amps as well.

What are the drivers in you bass modules?
Right now I have a TERRIBLE t.amp TSA 4-1300 that sound like a lawnmover (when it is cold, a lot more when I play a little). Others had no problem with that (how that can be I don't understand).

It is a small swedish company that make the drivers, Ino audio. It is 12" and the suggested effect is around 450 watt at 8 ohm.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No benefit for you, yes. But not for me. How hard can it be?
LOL I get it, you don't want fans even if inaudible. How about asking Buckeye for something custom?

Soundmixer

I have 4 Crown XLS 2502 amps bridged driving my subs in my large HT. My room also has a very low noise floor, and I have never heard the fans on even when playing the most sub heavy movies.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No fan is inaudible.
No, but they can be so far down in level as to not be a concern, like many things in audio. People can tolerate much more noise from vinyl.... :)

OP
N

NIN

Funny. I start a account on this forum and hope for good and serious disussion. I post that I don't want any fan(!) and the whole thread is about fans that is "inaudible".
Good start, really.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No fan is inaudible.
Sorry, but you are wrong and spreading misinformation. I have a Crown XLS 1502 and have never heard the fan. Where do you get your ideas? Before making such claims, you need to substantiate. This is a science based forum. Measurements talk, BS walks.

Top Bottom