• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier suggestion for bass (350-500 watt)

OP
N

NIN

You people ar

Sorry for the pedantic morons. You are allowed to set any criteria for anything you want to buy. I don't buy amps with fans because pro amps look tacky, and indeed some are audible.

My recommendations for VTV/Buckeye/Apollon still stand.

Im looking at Apollon, either the 4 channel NCMP4350 or the 6 channel NCMP6350, both with Hypex NCore NC502MP.

Reactions: 617

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Im looking at Apollon, either the 4 channel NCMP4350 or the 6 channel NCMP6350, both with Hypex NCore NC502MP.
I think Hypex is the sweet spot for amps right now. Certainly good enough for full range application if you want down the line.

kiwifi

I have two sub-bass towers with 4 X 12 inch carbon fiber woofers, each. So each set of 4 are wired in series-parallel, resulting in 4 ohms for each tower. There is a master sub-bass controller that connects to an accelerometer on one woofer in each tower, as well as the system line stage preamp. Driving these 8 woofers are two IcePower modules, which are silent, efficient, and very linear for bass info. I chose the IcePower modules and packaged them myself because they were the lowest cost option. I am very happy with them and have Open Baffle main speakers I built that are 95 dB (2.83 V @1m) efficient that I use with this bass system. The background noise level in my audio room is typically 22 dBA (very quiet). The speaker system will effortlessly play peaks over 100 dBA, at the listening position, so it can get as loud as live music. It is a single family home far from neighboring homes, so never a complaint.
Which icepower modules are you using?

jmillar

Name them.
Depends on what amps. Behringer has some bad rep regarding durability. ("Not expensive" logic, "if it breaks, replace") Others complain of hiss in "no signal" situations. Some do, some don't.
Others complain of fan noise and are convinced that pro amps were not designed for "in room" use but for "backstage" or "gear closet". Others say SINAD is lower than what they would want. Others complain of lack of FR linearity (YMMV) Others simply don't like the looks.
Still, I've seen Crown amps in audiophile settings and they sound GREAT for a very modest outlay. If you are on a budget and need high power I definitely see the rationale to go that route.

Last edited:
Top Bottom