• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget AMP for Focal Aria 948

nietuzinkovy

Hello,

I bought the Focal Aria 948 for a very good price and it's time to buy amp as well.

Currently, I only have a home theater amp - ONKYO TX-SR494BDAB. The source will be streaming, possibly Tidal/Spotify apps from the TV. That's why I need to buy an amplifier for Focals, with a budget of 1-1.5k euro. I would like it to have streaming options, and here I have two candidates:
1. Audiolab 6000A
2. Marantz stereo 70s.

I've read that these speakers require a lot of power to drive them, and it would be a good idea to warm them up, which is the direction I would like to go. Alternatively, another setup and connecting a Wiim amp - I'm open to suggestions. It would be great if there's a headphone amp included, but I'm not counting on that :).

I've seen Marantz Cinema 70s with the option to handle multiple channels - I understand that stereo here will be poorly supported, and it doesn't make sense to consider it? I'll stick to switching speakers when we want to watch movies.

dmilller

I would start with a quality Class D amp only like Buckeye. Amps can last a couple of decades or more. The preamp/streaming can be purchased separately.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Try to get some used Yamaha rn803d instead of the amps listed by you (see YPAO RSC option at Yamaha). Or go with new Rn1000A.

But probably Wiim Pro & some class D amp from Audiophonics will be at least tbat good, minus room correction.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This

Or this

Rhamnetin

Another vote for the Hypex NCOREx NCx 500. It's in your budget, it's the best measuring power amp at these power levels that I've seen, and there are reputable builders for them. If you're in North America, then Buckeye is probably the way to go. In UK you have Nord Acoustics, in mainland Europe you have Apollon, boXem, and Audiophonics. Streaming can easily be handled separately from the power amp.

OP
N

nietuzinkovy

I've found in really good price Arcam SA30. Reviews are great, has streaming option. Will be that good choice for Aria's 948?

dmilller

How I would spend a $1500 budget:
  • Wiim mini or Wiim pro using digital out on each. No need for the Wiim Pro Plus as the DAC isn't used
  • miniDSP Flex + Dirac + UMIK-1 microphone. Plus a cheap full size microphone stand from amazon
  • Buckeye Hypex NC252MP (250W)
I like the value of the above. Plus I like how each piece could be used in future systems until obsolesce. The downside is that it's not as pretty as an integrated solution.

Rotor

Forum Donor
  • Wiim mini or Wiim pro using digital out on each. No need for the Wiim Pro Plus as the DAC isn't used
  • miniDSP Flex + Dirac + UMIK-1 microphone. Plus a cheap full size microphone stand from amazon
I like the value of the above. Plus I like how each piece could be used in future systems until obsolesce. The downside is that it's not as pretty as an integrated solution.
After purchasing then returning an SA30 due to usability/reliability issues, this is very similar to the route I am going down!

OP
N

nietuzinkovy

After purchasing then returning an SA30 due to usability/reliability issues, this is very similar to the route I am going down!
:O Could You say something more? I've already bought SA30, also tested with 948 and they sounds very nice. What kind of problems do You had with Arcam?

wandulus

+1.
Best option for me too.

Livewire

I have this setup and am very happy.

Top Bottom