• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

weikagen

Hi @amirm ,

I just received the Aune S6 and I'm wondering if you have received yours too from Massdrop. I didn't see this DAC listed on your todo list. :)

palamudin

Huh, really surprised the Da3 isn't as low as the iDea since it seems like such a similar design. But unless you're using something like the Campfire Andromeda with incredibly low impedances at certain points in the frequency response (and honestly, some people like the less-bassy sound from higher OI outputs) then it's a non-issue, I suppose.
I wanted to buy some old cans on a whim (akg k340 - 400ohm) and now im kinda "will it run".

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm ,

I just received the Aune S6 and I'm wondering if you have received yours too from Massdrop. I didn't see this DAC listed on your todo list. :)
Yes I have. At least I think I have as it is still in its massdrop box. :)

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
I wanted to buy some old cans on a whim (akg k340 - 400ohm) and now im kinda "will it run".

Did some googling, looks like they're 94 dB/mW. At about a ~ 2 Vrms output from the Da3's single-ended output, you should be fine unless you listen really loudly or to really dynamic material. But there are a bunch of headphone amps in the $100 range that would throw out more than enough power for those. You could probably start with that (or the SE-only Sabaj Da2/SMSL iDea) and then run it into a more powerful amp if you find you don't get enough volume.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi @amirm , will the Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) review come any time soon? I'm quite eager to see how a tube amp perform with your new testing equipment :p

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm , will the Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) review come any time soon? I'm quite eager to see how a tube amp perform with your new testing equipment :p
Hi there. Because it is loaned gear, it gets priority. So yes, it will come out "soon." :)

I just had to take a break a bit from testing headphone amps and dacs and hence my latest phono pre-amp tests. :)

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi there. Because it is loaned gear, it gets priority. So yes, it will come out "soon." :)

I just had to take a break a bit from testing headphone amps and dacs and hence my latest phono pre-amp tests. :)

It will be great. Looking forward to it!!

I'm sure it will be quite a bit of fun (and learning curve) with the new APx555 too :D

palamudin

Sad panda face while awaiting Da3 review (you'll be literally the only reviewer of that product online). But being a programmer scum im well versed in the art of burnout so take your time.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sad panda face while awaiting Da3 review (you'll be literally the only reviewer of that product online). But being a programmer scum im well versed in the art of burnout so take your time.
I honestly need someone to schedule my review queue for me. :) There is just so much that is piled up and I don't know which plate to keep spinning next!

D

Deleted member 65

Provided the Sonic Imagery discrete opamp survived shipping maybe add following to your todo list: Topping D10 w. Sonic Imagery 994 opamp.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Provided the Sonic Imagery discrete opamp survived shipping maybe add following to your todo list: Topping D10 w. Sonic Imagery 994 opamp.
Its pins were really, really bent. I gave it a shot at straightening them but have not attempted to insert it into D10. I will update the list to include that. :)

Wombat

Master Contributor

zandm7

Hi Zandm7. I have been looking for more $100 DAC+Headphone amps to test so that seems like a good option. I do have a long backlog right now though so remind me in a month or so.

Hey @amirm, just reminding you to add the Micca OriGen G2 to your backlog like you asked :)

Thanks! Just saw the Da3 review, awesome work as always man, nice to see measurements from your new rig too.

R-Oak

i'm awaiting for the Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp review,
being a massdrop product, it would be nice to have a small section on the pairing whit massdrop headphones
and also a comparison for other amps in its price bracket
and how does it sits between ( tube and solid state ) being a hybrid
So from the verry tuby crack to the solid state magni 3 for example

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
i'm awaiting for the Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp review,
I am too. Oh wait, I have to do the work. :D

I am quite anxious to get it tested. This week I can't get to it though as Dallasjustice is coming with his gear to measure.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir, there are bits and pieces of tests on some ifi dac scattered around this site. Could you collect them into a single thread, perhaps with some commentary? (And eventually get around to a test of the idsd nano black. I already have one, but would love to see the measurements.)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, there are bits and pieces of tests on some ifi dac scattered around this site. Could you collect them into a single thread, perhaps with some commentary? (And eventually get around to a test of the idsd nano black. I already have one, but would love to see the measurements.)
Actually, I plan to do one better and properly review and measure them again. The old tests were not as comprehensive as my new ones.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, I plan to do one better and properly review and measure them again. The old tests were not as comprehensive as my new ones.
I can't wait. It's obvious you are not sitting still since several new reviews were just published.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom