• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
amirm,

do you have any plans to test reasonably-priced usb to spdif converters? For example, a DAC such as Benchmark DAC1 has no USB input and requires to be connected with optical or coax, but using a $20 converter with a high-end DAC would probably be a bad idea. So it would be nice to know what is a good price for a usb to spdif converter and what are some good models.
I actually tested a reasonably priced one recently: the SMSL X-USB. See my review here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-smsl-x-usb-digital-audio-converter.2432/

There are also measurements for the Gustard U12 in there which costs more but did a bit better.

Reactions: PuX

Spirit84

I was curious if you have ever, or if not, plan to do measurements on a Sonos Connect unit.
I use my Sonos every day as a "transport" connected via spdif coax to a dac. It is such a convenient way to listen to music.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was curious if you have ever, or if not, plan to do measurements on a Sonos Connect unit.
I don't have one to measure unfortunately. I was going to get one for my woodshop but then decided to go another route.

If you or someone else wants to loan it to me, I can measure it. :)

zandm7

@amirm Any plans to test the Micca Origen G2? I know you tested the Origen+ and ultimately gave it a negative review because of the QC issues (broken headphone output) and driver hassle, but the G2 has a USB implementation that works with generic USB 2.0 audio drivers on Win 10. I've been looking for a portable unit that supports a 1/4" headphone output to use with my TH-X00's at work (don't want to deal with the hassle of using a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter) and so far I keep coming back to the G2; it just seems like the best bang for my buck under $200. Would be cool if you can test it but of course I understand that you have a lot on your plate, lol.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Zandm7. I have been looking for more $100 DAC+Headphone amps to test so that seems like a good option. I do have a long backlog right now though so remind me in a month or so.

palamudin

I recently purchased Sabaj Da3, to be honest i skipped topping, hifibery and dragonfly based on your review of Idea (using same/single chip). I can say that i did not regret the purchase since it replaced trash integrated onboard soundcard on my cheapo pc. Therefore id say im eagerly expecting review of the mentioned product. Not that i will change my opinion based on it, but im looking forward to colorful graphs :D. Had a chance to hear it in friends setup (cyrus mk3 + Usher s520) and i must say it just made me enjoy music without thinking of "components". I do intend to provide it with iDefender and cleaner psu (tho question is do i need to) and ofc a proper RCA cable since using extenders or budget pc 3.5mm to rca (current setup) leaves just a tad of itch to be scratched there. Keep up the work i rarely enjoy Audio forums like i do this one.

dc655321

Major Contributor
I recently purchased Sabaj Da3, to be honest i skipped topping, hifibery and dragonfly based on your review of Idea (using same/single chip). I can say that i did not regret the purchase since it replaced trash integrated onboard soundcard on my cheapo pc.

I was looking into the DA3 when they first came out. Its 10 Ohm output impedance was turn-off for me. Same thing with the Hiby R6 - take what is otherwise, on paper, a well-spec'd device and (IMO) handicap it with a high output impedance. Well, at least it was a handicap for my use-cases...

@palamudin what do you plan on hooking the DA3 up to, in terms of outputs (headphones, monitors, etc)?

Timbo2

I was looking into the DA3 when they first came out. Its 10 Ohm output impedance was turn-off for me. Same thing with the Hiby R6 - take what is otherwise, on paper, a well-spec'd device and (IMO) handicap it with a high output impedance. Well, at least it was a handicap for my use-cases...

@palamudin what do you plan on hooking the DA3 up to, in terms of outputs (headphones, monitors, etc)?

I have a DA3 and share your concern about the output impedance. However, the only place I've seen the 10 Ohm figure quoted was as a reply from the Sabaj store on Amazon. I'm hoping it was a mistake. Do you remember where you read it and if anybody actually tested it?

The other issue I have with the device is all the pictures of the finished circuit board I've seen show very poor soldering. I haven't had the desire to open mine up to confirm it on my example. But I know where I'd put my money....

dc655321

Major Contributor
I have a DA3 and share your concern about the output impedance. However, the only place I've seen the 10 Ohm figure quoted was as a reply from the Sabaj store on Amazon. I'm hoping it was a mistake. Do you remember where you read it and if anybody actually tested it?

That's the same piece of info I was going by. There is some measure of confidence in it, as it's from "official" representatives.
I don't know of any measurements for this device, impedance or otherwise.

FWIW, I recall seeing the same output impedance figures for the SMSL IQ, which looks like a twin device (a la DA3 vs SMSL iDEA). Don't remember where I saw that info. So, there's that...

palamudin

They are connected to a diy (well not really diy, a british gentlemen designed integral amp) then all goes to Genesis Physics Speaker 1 (refurbished). Source is garbage win7 pc.

Last edited:

bakker_be

That's the same piece of info I was going by. There is some measure of confidence in it, as it's from "official" representatives.
I don't know of any measurements for this device, impedance or otherwise.

FWIW, I recall seeing the same output impedance figures for the SMSL IQ, which looks like a twin device (a la DA3 vs SMSL iDEA). Don't remember where I saw that info. So, there's that...
Archimago measured the SMSL iDEA at 0,5 Ohm, so this is "probably" similar. http://archimago.blogspot.fr/2017/05/measurements-smsl-idea-usb-dac.html

palamudin

I got a pair of AKG 66's and you cant turn the volume to max or you go blind.

palamudin

Lets wait for @amirm to do his magic. But what i know for sure (from the reviews if that can be called "sure") is that it has issues driving hungry phones like Heisers.

Timbo2

Lets wait for @amirm to do his magic. But what i know for sure (from the reviews if that can be called "sure") is that it has issues driving hungry phones like Heisers.

Do you mean the DA3? With my Sennheiser HD600s the extra power from the balanced output makes a big difference.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, here is a quick measurement of the output impedance on DA3 since I have been so late in reviewing it. It is 1.7 ohms which is pretty good:

Sabaj DA3 DAC output impedance Measurement.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom