• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connect iPhone 12 to SMSL SU1

carlosh11934

The heading sounds simple enough, but it's been nothing short of a nightmare! All I have at this point is the iPhone and the SMSL SU1 DAC. I need to connect the 2 in order to send the analog signal from the DAC to my audio amplifier.

One problem that I encounter, is that I can't use the USB C on the DAC because I will use that for providing power to the DAC. That leaves the Optical and Coaxial ports to receive the signal from the iPhone. I personally don't care which one I use since both have the same frequency capability. I've read that you need to get a camera adapter cable to connect to the phone and then connect from there to the DAC input. Really? You guys tell me.

Please tell me what part number cable(s) are needed to complete my connection.

Carlos

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can use the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter to both power the SU-1 and connect to it from your iPhone via USB.

It's a bit expensive, but the advantage is that you can use a phone charger to both power the DAC and charge your iPhone.

The iPhone is technically capable of powering USB accessories like the SU-1 by itself, but there are current limitations.

If you'd like to take a gamble on a less expensive solution, and are fine with the SU-1 draining your iPhone's battery somewhat, then search for "Meenova Lightning to USB-C OTG 15cm":
71y7f52vLEL.jpg

That cable has proven effective for USB dongle DACs with ≥110mA on the iPhone 12.
Chances are, it'll also work fine for the SU-1.

If however the SU-1 exceeds the 400mA current draw, then the iPhone will most likely throw a warning message and disconnect the DAC.

In that case, the Apple USB 3 Camera adapter is your best chance for success.

Last edited:
OP
C

carlosh11934

You can use the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter to both power the SU-1 and connect to it from your iPhone via USB.
OK. I see the USB 3 adapter. The USB C end plugs into the iPhone. The 2 ports on the output of the adapter are a USB - A (for signal) and a USB - C (for power.) If I plug the USB - C to power and get a cable that goes from USB - A to USB - C, I can plug the USB - C end to the DAC and it will carry signal and power?

Carlos

staticV3

Master Contributor
OK. I see the USB 3 adapter. The USB C end plugs into the iPhone.
No. The Male Lightning end plugs into your iPhone.

The Female USB-A port is where you plug in your DAC.

The female Lighting port is where you plug in your phone charger.

Lightning+to+USB+Camera+Adapters.jpg

OP
C

carlosh11934

No. The Male Lightning end plugs into your iPhone.

The Female USB-A port is where you plug in your DAC.

The female Lighting port is where you plug in your phone charger.

View attachment 355523

OK. You say the "Female USB-A port is where you plug in your DAC." From that I gather that I will need a cable that goes from USB-A (male) to USB-C (male). Please tell me that's correct! LOL I'll order the parts tomorrow. Thank you very much for your help. I'll post the results when the parts come in. That will sure save me money considering what cables I thought I needed.

Carlos

staticV3

Master Contributor
OK. You say the "Female USB-A port is where you plug in your DAC." From that I gather that I will need a cable that goes from USB-A (male) to USB-C (male). Please tell me that's correct!
Correct.

I'll order the parts tomorrow. Thank you very much for your help. I'll post the results when the parts come in. That will sure save me money considering what cables I thought I needed.
It's possible that you don't even need the Apple adapter and can use a simple Lightning to USB-C cable. That would be even cheaper.
See my first post for details.

Edit:
There's a good chance that with the SU-1 plugged into your iPhone, regardless of how you do it, volume will be forced to 100% with no way to adjust it via the iPhone's volume rocker.
Please be prepared for that by turning your Amp way down, before you start playback.

Last edited:
OP
C

carlosh11934

Correct.

It's possible that you don't even need the Apple adapter and can use a simple Lightning to USB-C cable. That would be even cheaper.
See my first post for details.

Edit:
There's a good chance that with the SU-1 plugged into your iPhone, regardless of how you do it, volume will be forced to 100% with no way to adjust it via the iPhone's volume rocker.
Please be prepared for that by turning your Amp way down, before you start playback.
I ordered the necessary parts last night. So, I'll just go with that. The amplifier (SMSL DA9) has a remote volume control, so I'm OK there.

OP
C

carlosh11934

I ordered the necessary parts last night. So, I'll just go with that. The amplifier (SMSL DA9) has a remote volume control, so I'm OK there.
Parts are in and.......... IT WORKS! Boy oh boy, I sweat bullets worrying that I might have ordered incompatible parts, but no. It works. Sometimes I need to unplug and replug the power to get it to work, but that's not a problem. Thank you very much for your help!

I would like to plug in the iPhone with an extension cord so that I can control it from the couch. That's about a 12' run. Do you think I could get a 12' cable extender to plug in the iPhone and not lose and connectivity?

My next step is to buy an RCA switchbox so that I can choose either turntable (preamp), CD Player, or DAC. No questions there. I'm just letting you know where I'm headed.

Carlos in Texas

Last edited:
Top Bottom