• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I was under the impression that that chip drives the headphones directly, hence my assumption :)

DAC chip output is so weak that it needs I/V (or I/U) stage (typically an op amp these days), to be able to provide input for headphone or any other amp. :)

palamudin

Do you mean the DA3? With my Sennheiser HD600s the extra power from the balanced output makes a big difference.
Yea, the balanced out makes all the difference, tho majority of reviewers used unbalanced only for their tests... weird aint it.

dc655321

Major Contributor
I was under the impression that that chip drives the headphones directly, hence my assumption

You're not wrong about that - that model (es9018q2c) is an integration of DAC + output stage.

Yet, the iDEA is rated at 36 mW into 32 Ohm, while the DA3/IQ is rated at 56 mW (single-ended).
Also, pics of the smsl iq board show dual 9018's.

So, some differences exist in the form of output stage topology and tweaks.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Amir, testing some phono preamps that have USB-out would be appreciated. A bit of a change from DACs. :)

Last edited:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Krunok

Major Contributor
Amir, testing some phono preamps that have USB-out would be appreciated. A bit of a change from DACs. :)

IMO such device somehow defeats the purpose of the vinyl, especially with modern recordings which, I guess, are produced to a digital master. And than you make a vinyl out of it. And than you convert it back to digital with USB phono preamp so you can enjoy it with some cracks and noise, which I'm sure sounds much better than listening to the digital master file. :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
IMO such device somehow defeats the purpose of the vinyl, especially with modern recordings which, I guess, are produced to a digital master. And than you make a vinyl out of it. And than you convert it back to digital with USB phono preamp so you can enjoy it with some cracks and noise, which I'm sure sounds much better than listening to the digital master file. :D
Well, the reason to do it would be because the LP master was treated differently than the digital release, e.g. not subjected to loudness compression.

I have some LP rips from high-end turntable that sounds good.

palamudin

Well its personal preference, i know people that would slit their wrists to have vinyl artifacts on their xrcds or dsd albums.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Well, the reason to do it would be because the LP master was treated differently than the digital release, e.g. not subjected to loudness compression.
And why would they do loudness compression on a digital master from which they want to make CDs?

I have some LP rips from high-end turntable that sounds good.
I have no doubt they sound good, but the question is if they would sound even better if the same analog master have been converted to a file. I cannot imagine how those 2 formats can compare in terms of distortion and SNR.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Well its personal preference, i know people that would slit their wrists to have vinyl artifacts on their xrcds or dsd albums.

I can understand that it's personal preference but in that case why not have it analogue all the way instead of converting to digital after phono preamp?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And why would they do loudness compression on a digital master from which they want to make CDs?
They think it sells better. They can't do the same thing on LP because the format has restrictions on what you can record on it, pun intended. :)

palamudin

I can understand that it's personal preference but in that case why not have it analogue all the way instead of converting to digital after phono preamp?
My opinion that in this day and age price point and profit are more important than legacy. Sad, it just points out the fact that people in charge of producing, printing and publishing music/audio are not in touch with the people that listen to their products. Im sure that people would pay 100$ for pure analog streamlined product in non triple converted file for download or physical vinyl copy.

Krunok

Major Contributor
My opinion that in this day and age price point and profit are more important than legacy. Sad, it just points out the fact that people in charge of producing, printing and publishing music/audio are not in touch with the people that listen to their products. Im sure that people would pay 100$ for pure analog streamlined product in non triple converted file for download or physical vinyl copy.
Sadly, I have to agree with you on that.

dheepak10

Looking forward to NX4 DSD measurements. Thanks to the person who loaded his DAC to Amir!!

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
OK, here is a quick measurement of the output impedance on DA3 since I have been so late in reviewing it. It is 1.7 ohms which is pretty good:

View attachment 12925

Huh, really surprised the Da3 isn't as low as the iDea since it seems like such a similar design. But unless you're using something like the Campfire Andromeda with incredibly low impedances at certain points in the frequency response (and honestly, some people like the less-bassy sound from higher OI outputs) then it's a non-issue, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom