• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AHarmlessPyro

I have a macbook and a PC that I want to hook into my wh-1000xm4s. Right now, my horrible method is that I'm using an audio jack on my monitor's 3.5mm jack to connect to my headphones. Bad audio quality aside, it also locks me out from controlling audio directly from my mac as it seems macs don't support the particular protocol (I've tried using monitorcontrol and that doesn't work, and I can adjust volume on windows) to . So I'm looking for a DAC which allows input switching. Preferably the DAC has to be
  • Have at least one usb-c input (for the macbook) along with either another usb-c or a toslink (for the PC)
  • Externally powered (I'm connecting the usb to my macbook and that's running off an 18W input. Any more load would probably start draining the battery while connected).
  • Volume control on the DAC itself
  • Not as larger as a brick.
  • Possibly a 3.5mm jack on the DAC itself, but any other input that can be easily converted to it is also good.
My price range is $100-$150, and the closest things I've found are the Fiio K11, Fosi SK02 (pre-order only), and some SMSL units (that are way too large and brick like).
My ideal DAC would be something similar to the Steelseries gamedac gen2, but apparently the unit doesn't last to long and introduces a very (very) noticeable latency.

Curious if there are any other suggestions

Last edited:

EERecordist

Many people like the SMSL D-6s. It's $200, sometimes less on sale.

OP
A

AHarmlessPyro

Many people like the SMSL D-6s. It's $200, sometimes less on sale.
The SMSLs do look pretty nice, but the RCA to 3.5mm jack adapter looks like it'd be annoying. Ideally just having a 3.5mm or 4.4mm/6.35mm jack with a single adapter would be better, but I'll keep the D-6s in mind.

stoo23

I have Not tried this but Could a KVM like USB Switch be used ??
Then (in theory) both Mac & PC could be connected via USB & you just switch between either Source.

Ofcourse this idea may Not work, (others will probably Know), kinda' just thinking out loud LOL

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
OP
A

AHarmlessPyro

That is an ... interesting concept. I think at that point with the USB switch + USB DAC + Cables would come out to the price of a more performant DAC. It would be easier something like a Fosi K5 + usb c splitter (to separate audio and power). Would probably be a little more space saving as well.

On that note, I could also just get a separate KVM switch instead of using the one that came with my monitor. Not sure if there would be any audio degradation with this solution.

OP
A

AHarmlessPyro

That does give me an idea. I could use use one of the spare USB inputs on the monitors KVM switch to connect a DAC directly. It's all digital data, so there should be virtually no signal degradation. I would lose the ability to run audio independent of the currently used device but that's fine.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
That does give me an idea. I could use use one of the spare USB inputs on the monitors KVM switch to connect a DAC directly. It's all digital data, so there should be virtually no signal degradation. I would lose the ability to run audio independent of the currently used device but that's fine.
It's worth a try. :)

My monitor has 2 HDMI inputs and a Display Port input, but no USB hub, so I could connect 2 PCs to the monitor, but needed the USB switch for the mouse and keyboard.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SMSL M300SE should meet all the requirements. It's got all those including a 3.5mm out instead of RCA.

Top Bottom