• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Yeh, let me see if I can take a shot at it....
For Aune S6, i presume you dont have the time or will to post measurements (i know you said it wasn't exceptional), but can you post just a SINAD value? Thanks

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hope amira and sir thomas aren't slacking off and instead thinking & prepping hard for the next frontier - DBT validation of loudspeaker preference.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hope amira and sir thomas aren't slacking off and instead thinking & prepping hard for the next frontier - DBT validation of loudspeaker preference.
Kind of hard to do with the pandemic and all....

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think @amirm ‘s measurements and analyses are extremely powerful and highly valid and reliable data, within the known constraints. From what I can tell he is giving us what we need to know, when it’s very hard to come across that information elsewhere. Thank you @amirm . :) I tend to trust the results he is getting and how he is using the data with a high degree of confidence.

The DBT frontier would be great for speakers here, just fascinating, I just know we’d see some very cool results. But first we need to let folks from other fields apply the incredible power of DBT to, and hopefully solve, the global pandemic.:cool:

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excuses amir. Please figure out a way so members can assist from the comfort of their quarantines.
1) Buy an expensive HATS, don’t know how much a GRAS is, but the Neumann one is >$8000.
2) Record all speakers in the same position, same average SPL, playing the same tracks.
3) Create a DBT.

However, the sound system you are listening on needs to be as accurate in terms of tonal balance, imaging, soundstage, etc. as our ears, so it would all be for naught. Maybe include the actual song as a reference (maybe do an ABX, with a speaker and the actual song, the one that is closest to 50/50 is the most realistic speaker).

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) Buy an expensive HATS, don’t know how much a GRAS is, but the Neumann one is >$8000.
2) Record all speakers in the same position, same average SPL, playing the same tracks.
3) Create a DBT.

However, the sound system you are listening on needs to be as accurate in terms of tonal balance, imaging, soundstage, etc. as our ears, so it would all be for naught. Maybe include the actual song as a reference (maybe do an ABX, with a speaker and the actual song, the one that is closest to 50/50 is the most realistic speaker).

Crutchfield tried to do something like this, but it ended up not being very good in practice. They profiled the speakers in an anechoic chamber, but didn't do the recordings binaurally. Then they profiled headphones so that you could try to get "some" comparison. It's nice because it's free/value-added. Not validated scientifically though I am sure it works well for certain speakers/headphones.

I hope to send Amir more high-end vintage gear so that we can get some metrics. Main challenge is shipping costs, packaging on my end and on Amir's end, backlog and demand for testing products-you-can-buy.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Main challenge is shipping costs, packaging on my end and on Amir's end, backlog and demand for testing products-you-can-buy.
I too would love to send some stuff in, but those reasons apply to be as well. I have a pair of tower speakers that were originally $4000+ (I paid $800 used, guy had a lot of speakers and downsized and couldn't fit them all), but each tower is 90lb, seen here (before I brought them upstairs). The seller also gave me these "Fast/Slow attack" boxes, which he had no clue about them, but they are I guess supposed to alter the "attack" of the speaker, this is something I could send Amir as they are small and lightweight.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The seller also gave me these "Fast/Slow attack" boxes, which he had no clue about them, but they are I guess supposed to alter the "attack" of the speaker, this is something I could send Amir as they are small and lightweight.

They probably alter the capacitance or damping factor.

TNT

May I subscribe (email) to all newly posted reviews, be them DACs, amps or whatevere? But just reviews and only the first post - not every post? Like an announcement of a new review.

If so, how?

//

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
May I subscribe (email) to all newly posted reviews, be them DACs, amps or whatevere? But just reviews and only the first post - not every post? Like an announcement of a new review.

If so, how?

//
Not currently, but you can come here in intervals of your choice and then just click on the "Reviews" tab on the far left of the the top banner. That will take you to a list all Amir's reviews starting with the most current.

gvl

Major Contributor
You can subscribe to new thread notifications in the subforums of interest, it's a wider net but is the next best thing.

chad2

what about the Fiio UTW5? they seem to be the perfect pair with a set of 7hz but no one has tested them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom