• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's favorite videos....

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will admit it... when I want to relax or before going to sleep, I watch fair bit of videos on youtube. Some are instructional. But others are just fun. I thought I create a thread and post them here in the odd chance that some of you might enjoy them as well.

Here is the first one. "Fun" day boating on the water:

This guy has a whole channel dedicated to videos of people struggling through the Haulover Inlet (south Florida). Waters can bet quite choppy there.
I think we can classify that under "instructional" Can't we? :cool:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I have a weakness for red-haired millennial vocal coaches 'reacting' to 70's prog and rock. A somewhat niche fetish I admit ...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a weakness for red-haired millennial vocal coaches 'reacting' to 70's prog and rock. A somewhat niche fetish I admit ...

Would be more watchable if they didn't keep pausing the damn music.

Multicore

Major Contributor
I loved the Focus. I know the video she's watching well, it's just amazing. Previously I had reservations as it seems a bit to headlong and the main riff, which is so good, loses definition (coulda said, it loses F____) especially at the beginning. But really it's stormin and we're lucky to have that on YouTube. I'm so pleased this band, that should have been much better known back then, got a couple boosts later in life from a big TV commercial and in the film Baby Driver.

The Fairy Voice Mother's reaction is very entertaining and educational. Kids today don't know focus? Thanks for that.

No matter what, I'm not going to do half an hour on Whole Latte or any amount of effing Deep Purple. No matter what. Ok, the vocal part on that was good in Breaking the Waves. I actually played that song for a younger friend last year to demonstrate something or other and we had a good laugh it's so daft. But, unlike Focus, which is also very daft, not good. Blackmore is one of my least favorite guitarists.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I'm so pleased this band, that should have been much better known back then
For reasons lost in the mists of time I remember I was well into Focus as a pre-teen. I'm pretty sure Hocus Pocus and Sylvia were massive hits in the UK, but maybe that is just my memory playing tricks. Fine as it was, that sort of music was killed (and probably for the better) by Punk for a decade or three.

The Fairy Voice Mother's reaction is very entertaining and educational.

They all seem to know their stuff pretty well, which makes the whole 'reaction' thing bearable, but FVM does generally have the most interesting insights and the most fun presentation. I think they've all done reactions to Jethro Tull who, understandably, induce much astonishment and hilarity.

Sadly, they all seem mostly to react to dreadful cod-Metal for some reason ...

Blackmore is one of my least favorite guitarists.

As with Focus, I was mercilessly inflicted with Machine Head at a tender age. I have heard that album so many times it is by now part of my DNA. I can neither like nor dislike it anymore. For me MH is one the best sounding 'rock' albums ever made – pretty much the definition of 'rock' - and Ian Paice's drumming is inspirational but yes, Blackmore is kinda annoying ...

Multicore

Major Contributor
For reasons lost in the mists of time I remember I was well into Focus as a pre-teen. I'm pretty sure Hocus Pocus and Sylvia were massive hits in the UK, but maybe that is just my memory playing tricks. Fine as it was, that sort of music was killed (and probably for the better) by Punk for a decade or three.
I don't subscribe to the NME exclusion principle. Sturgeon's Law applies to both prog and punk. I'm preparing to record a podcast episode about Robert Fripp's first solo album Exposure and the research has involved exposing myself again to some of the older KC music. Same rules apply. I can understand how RF wanted to disassociate himself from “a badly cobbled pastiche of a number of badly digested and ill-understood music forms.” But ... it's complicated.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
it's complicated

Much of what is now labelled 'post-punk' was really prog with a better haircut and tighter trousers. And yes, quite a few of prog's progenitors like Fripp as well as artists like Fred Frith, Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel and Robert Wyatt emerged from Punk more or less unscathed and even emboldened. Meanwhile their European counterparts (Rother, Pinhas, Czukay, Liebezeit, Roedelius etc.) just kept on doing what they'd always been doing to rather better critical, if not commercial, acclaim. But I feel the likes of Focus didn't fare so well at the time, and are only relatively recently being reappraised, or disinterred ...

Top Bottom