• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion For Amir Youtube Video - Testing Vibration Effects On Components!

BradC

Two 19 x 16 Vibraplane Active Isolation platforms is your answer. Only $2,500 each (air pump not included), BUT, they really work, really isolate, really kill vibration.

Here are the specs for a Vibraplane, The vibration of homes and buildings is typically up to 60hZ.

Performance Data

Min. Load @ 20 psi
Vertical Natural Frequency2.3 Hz
Isolation Efficiency @ 5 Hz52%
Isolation Efficiency @ 10 Hz83%
Horizontal Natural Frequency2.9 Hz
Isolation Efficiency @ 5 Hz40%
Isolation Efficiency @ 10 Hz92%
Max. Load @ 80 psi
Vertical Natural Frequency2.1 Hz
Isolation Efficiency @ 5 Hz70%
Isolation Efficiency @ 10 Hz91%
Horizontal Natural Frequency1.8 Hz
Isolation Efficiency @ 5 Hz81%
Isolation Efficiency @ 10 Hz95%

I have been looking at the "specs" for the typical audio "isolation" devices and none of them (that I can find) provides any specifications on actual isolation (vibration reduction), what frequency, etc.

Devices that really do require vibration reduction, like high power optical microscopes, precision scales, and SEMs, all use isolation devices that are measured and come with specs.
Sadly, the more snake oil prone audiophiles might think $2,500 to isolate a solid state monoblock is a deal ;)

Professionally, I have mainly used the similar Newport Bench top active isolation systems (https://www.newport.com/f/benchtop-compact-vibration-isolation-platform) you really can't beat an active isolator for vibration sensitive optical instruments. They are really fun to watch work.

PS They actually run for a reasonable time off of a large Nitrogen tank so you can use that to avoid the extra vibration from a pump.

I have been tempted to pop a turntable on an old one just for fun. (i.e how hard can I shake the table), and am really suprised that none of the subjectivists audiophile youtubers have spent less than a "tuned RCA cable" on a couple of these.

Although I am willing to bet that the biggest vibration impact on the average solid state devices will be the volume pot wiggling ;)

Travis

I have been tempted to pop a turntable on an old one just for fun. (i.e how hard can I shake the table), and am really suprised that none of the subjectivists audiophile youtubers have spent less than a "tuned RCA cable" on a couple of these.
I have seen turntables used on Vibraplanes, which seem very similar to Newport systems. The key is Vibraplane and Newport have measurements, specs, etc. I couldn’t find a single audio vibration product that had measurements or specs.

BradC

I have seen turntables used on Vibraplanes, which seem very similar to Newport systems. The key is Vibraplane and Newport have measurements, specs, etc. I couldn’t find a single audio vibration product that had measurements or specs.
Personally I suspect the lack of measurements and specs is indicative of many not actually providing any meaningful damping ;)

G|force

Forum Donor
Sadly, the more snake oil prone audiophiles might think $2,500 to isolate a solid state monoblock is a deal ;)

Professionally, I have mainly used the similar Newport Bench top active isolation systems (https://www.newport.com/f/benchtop-compact-vibration-isolation-platform) you really can't beat an active isolator for vibration sensitive optical instruments. They are really fun to watch work.

PS They actually run for a reasonable time off of a large Nitrogen tank so you can use that to avoid the extra vibration from a pump.

Although I am willing to bet that the biggest vibration impact on the average solid state devices will be the volume pot wiggling ;)
A few years ago I was at a Discon convention in San Jose CA and Newport had a booth. I asked the rep if they ever get business from HiFi types looking to isolate turntables. He said not one, which I thought might be a missed opportunity for that crowd.

G|force

Forum Donor
Bridgeport Newport Rockport

USA produced machinery, the standard in 20th century mill machines.
USA produced isolation platforms, the standard in metrology and optics.
And a USA company that (in the 1990's) produced turntables built on slabs of igneous rock.
Is Rockport producing turntables today? I don't know.

Probably OT but what the heck. :)

Last edited:

Ivan.ruiz

Forum Donor
Good day!
I have a Bass Shaker that my son gave me for my birthday :facepalm:. A flat base can be fastened on top to create a controllable vibrating surface where the effectiveness of the Isolators could be tested. I can have it put together if you think it may work.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 6.44.41 a.m..png

Last edited:

Bergante

Many old vacuum tube circuits can be susteptible to microphonics. I have an ancient grid-dip meter which is supposed to generate an unmodulated radio carrier. But if you tap on it (or shout really loud!) it will send an AM modulated signal :D

I guess some coil (or the vacuum tube) is disrupted by the vibrations.

Of course for a modern SMD circuit... I don´t believe it!

Lambda

Major Contributor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Any high end ger would not use them in analog part because of this.
but maybe some cheap gear

Why? As long as it isn't audible, I don't really see a problem? I can accept that it might stress the solder joints, and decrease reliability, but the "analog part" thing makes no sense.

I've never seen a turntable cartridge that doesn't "sing". Yet, nobody use it as an argument for going digital.

Last edited:

Lambda

Major Contributor
As long as it isn't audible, I don't really see a problem? I can accept that it might stress the solder joints, and decrease reliability, but the "analog part" thing makes no sense.
Well barbecue MLCCs are very non linear, have high tolerances, distortion and can are microphonic.
They are Cheap and fine to decouple Digital signals, And DC power rails.

But they are generally not uses in the analog signal part. because they would negatively influence performance.

I've never seen a turntable cartridge that doesn't "sing". Yet, nobody use it as an argument for going digital.
The problem is not so mush that the capacitors emit sound and vibration but they receive...
I would say that's also way more of a problem with turntable cartridges.

brucedgoose

This has been on my todo list since i started the forum! The blocking item is a vibration mechanism with predictive response so I can look for its response in the gear measurement. I thought about a custom one or using a subwoofer. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
Newport Corporation (formerly Newport Research Corporation) in Fountain Valley, CA can help you with this. They develop custom optical solutions for vibration analysis, among other things. Probably very expensive, but effective.

brucedgoose

Bridgeport Newport Rockport

USA produced machinery, the standard in 19th century mill machines.
USA produced isolation platforms, the standard in metrology and optics.
And a USA company that (in the 1990's) produced turntables built on slabs of igneous rock.
Is Rockport producing turntables today? I don't know.

Probably OT but what the heck. :)
Yes, probably OT. But they've said that about so much in audio!...:)

brucedgoose

A few years ago I was at a Discon convention in San Jose CA and Newport had a booth. I asked the rep if they ever get business from HiFi types looking to isolate turntables. He said not one, which I thought might be a missed opportunity for that crowd.
Newport has experience with niche crowds like audiophiles from its experience with holographers (I was one who used some Newport Research holography equipment). This is why they changed their name from Newport Research Corporation to just Newport, I believe. You may remember Ken Kessler complaining about audiophiles being cheap (see his last year or two of "Off the leash" columns in Hi Fi News). I think Newport wants to focus on institutions with money rather than individuals.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Newport Corporation (formerly Newport Research Corporation) in Fountain Valley, CA can help you with this. They develop custom optical solutions for vibration analysis, among other things. Probably very expensive, but effective.

If by help you mean loan me test gear for free, that would be great! Otherwise there is plenty of expensive measurement gear that I can't justify for this limited project.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW...

I've never heard someone so excitable over a monitor reading. (And I have no friggin' idea what he's talking about through the video).

BradC

I saw that a while ago and went searching for the vibration device he is using (that one is discontinued). Forget when I ended though.
Do you have a major university nearby?

If so check for a surplus (or capital salvage) store.

A piece of laboratory equipment that might work is called an orbital or linear shaker. They are designed for mixing and offer various amplitudes, speeds, and capacities. Brand new they can be quite expensive, but these sorts of things get dumped to surplus semi regularly and have very little used value. (I regularly use ones that can do a couple thousand rpm so well into audio ranges).

Surplus stores are also a great place to watch for bench power supplies and lots of other goodies. It's always hit and miss though.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This has been on my todo list since i started the forum! The blocking item is a vibration mechanism with predictive response so I can look for its response in the gear measurement. I thought about a custom one or using a subwoofer. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
I would take a good full range speaker and put it close to the DUT.
A waterfall spectrum of the DUT output while its being bombarded by a 100dB SPL full range sweep would be an interesting test.:cool:

Top Bottom