• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All About UFO's

Andysu

Major Contributor
common man at the end aliens

GM3

View attachment 306203
How convenient that the numbers - from such a nationwide poll - total to exactly100%.:confused:
They forgot the 4th category (Ich gebe keinen fick) for people like me!
(Skeptical of stated cause; ex; contrary evidence about IQ and fertility, and they don't seem to consider how old parents have children, which is crucial... Policies, many of which have a sort of negative-eugenics effect, etc. etc., but that's another topic.. [edit] I mean, I don't doubt environment is a factor, but likely combination of factors at play, many of which ignored due to...)

Thankfully, UFOs are likely the least of our problems. Unless they're real. Then I guess it's just another thing to add to the pile of candidates for the inevitable upcoming human extinction...

If you're interested in scifi but the intelligent kind, Isaac Arthur has a ton of videos on all sorts of futuristic science fiction technology, emphasis on 'science', and yep including aliens. Highly interesting and entertaining. But it's just that, fiction... Humanity has ensured that all of that incredible scifi tech won't happen, as humanity won't have the chance to mature to anywhere that technological level. Fun to imagine it's possible though!

[edit] and actually, AI maybe could save us, think movie transcendence, but apparently equally likely to destroy us... Soo... I dunno, at this point I'd give it a shot! lol
Aliens? Meh... Not holding my breath on that one!

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... AI ...
Them UFO peeps must be laughing their socks off [?] while hearing us calling things 'artificial intelligence' and probably "quantum computing'.
202308_HomoHabilis.jpg

They must look-down upon us and think the same way as we look-down upon our Homo habilis ancestors... from a million years ago.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Them UFO peeps must be laughing their socks off [?] while hearing us calling things 'artificial intelligence' and probably "quantum computing'.
View attachment 308210
They must look-down upon us and think the same way as we look-down upon our Homo habilis ancestors... from a million years ago.
You wouldn't really look down on them, instead they were just doing the best with what they were given!

GM3

Yeah what is called AI isn't really AI, but the task 'it' can accomplish is impressive. From, 'understanding' and 'answering' questions, to designing new lighter and stronger parts, even solving very complex problems like playing Starcraft, the list is getting longer and longer. It may not be that long until we really cannot distinguish 'AI' from real intelligence... We've actually reached 'Star Trek' level of 'AI' computer; just telling a computer to do something and it doing it was scifi not even 2 decades ago...!!!

Isaak Arthur also, if I remember correctly, theorizes that any 'alien' we might encounter might be just that; an AI rather than biological creatures. Given that space travel would still take thousands of years at speed of light to get anywhere, exploration might come more in the form of self-replicating, repairing, etc., robots, rather than a little green guy in a space suit...

The ironic thing is that humans being so self-obsessed and suffering from delusions of grandeur, even scifi series have humanity being the center of it all, basically 'best' species; Babylon5, Star Trek, Stargate, etc., Farscape was I think one of the first to portray humanity as a lesser species. But yeah, to any sort of technologically advanced aliens, we would likely seem like ants or uncivilized monkeys, with little to no importance.

As Emiya Kiritsugu iconically said: "True human nature has not advanced a step beyond the Stone Age.". Even as a human living in current time, it's not hard to notice. People are still starting and waging wars for the sake of greed & profit, even risking WW3 in the process... Abject poverty, inequality, the western world is degenerating, literally becoming Orwell's 1984 novel, humankind even failed to prevent its own cataclysmic downfall...

For all our technical knowledge, the human brain / humans, could never mature enough to deal with the changes to the world that technology has brought. Humanity lost control the monster it has created, and this monster (technology), has destroyed us. Maybe this is an important great filter. Technology, causing the downfall of species.

Last edited:

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning

oceansize

Forum Donor
100% this.

oceansize

Forum Donor
"You have received some pointed criticism for speaking on these topics. What do you think motivates that backlash?

Academic jealousy. They see the attention that my research is getting and they try to step on this flower that rises above the grass level."

what a tool
Aye.

The tool has published his claims.

Monica Grady has shown some "academic jealousy" here.

I am afraid that I come to the same conclusion that I did last time: Loeb has recovered some interesting particles, but none of the evidence he presents is sufficiently convincing to infer that the materials are either connected with IM1*, or are from an alien spaceship.
* IM1 interstellar meteor

Randy Bessinger

Forum Donor
Sean Carroll who had Loeb as a guest on his Mindscape podcast made comments (in answering a Patreon member’s question) about his recent sceince on his AMA. Basically not too impressed.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is why Earth needs a comprehensive space-alien immigration policy before it's too late.
I wonder if Vegas already has odds on when (not "IF") such policies will become as boondoggled by politics (and varied interests groups)... as many of the countries are facing in the world-over.
AmazonPrime series "The Expanse" provides some valid points why it is NOT an "IF" argument!
And they we are still blowing up other humans that have settled in places like Mars, etc.

RealClearPolitics should have such a poll question but I could not find it.

Will future-life imitate life as we now know it?
Place your bets!:D

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
We do not permit Political Content from either side. Several posts deleted and a warning issued. This is an Audio Science Forum and we have a Global Audience. We have no place for political debate and this is not the forum for this discussion. If you want to discuss politics find a different forum.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

JeffB1961

just disinformation to drum up public support tp pay for space force .
fear equals money .....

JeffB1961

how does that relate to space force ? we have satellites to see EVERYTHING .

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My favourite cosmologist, Mr Cox - believes simple life will be common, but complex life will be very rare, and intelligent life incredibly rare.

This is based on the fact that single celled life developed on earth very quickly, followed by a about 3 billion years of slime before more complex (multi cellular life) evolved. It then took aprox. another billion years for something we might recognise as intelligence on the scene probably less than 100,000 years ago. Technology (lets say starting with the wheel, and written word) basically arrived yesterday.

Then that intelligent life has to do better than us and develop interplanetary colonisation before consuming all the home planet resources (and without self destructing). Then interstellar colonisation before consuming all home system resources (and continuing to avoid self immolation)

Finally - as pointed out above - if travel is limited to light speed, then a species has to be motivated to travel much further than needed for continued existence in order to find us.

Or Fermi can be completely absolved by a Star Trek like intergalactic moratorium on contacting insufficiently advanced species. We certainly qualify as one of those. :p

JeffB1961

and traveling even a few percent of the speed of light makes a grain of sand a incredibly powerful impact , let alone something the size of a marble .
shields up scotty .

oceansize

Forum Donor
and traveling even a few percent of the speed of light makes a grain of sand a incredibly powerful impact , let alone something the size of a marble .
shields up scotty .
The Voyager probes are still going strong, after nearly 50 years.

Top Bottom