• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alec Baldwin shooting: Lawyer suggests potential sabotage on ‘Rust’ set.

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well Starline makes brass. They also make dummy rounds no live ammo. However, their main business is the brass cartridges to reloaders. So someone wishing to have actors shoot the real gun may have purchased the brass and loaded them without necessarily reloading dummy rounds. It all comes back to the armorer doing a poor job. She didn't inspect each round for an indented primer cap or shake them for the rattling sound. The article linked by you said they found a live round in Baldwin's bandolier. Unless somebody was sabotaging things it sounds like some live rounds got mixed in and willy nilly were on the tray with other ammo, at least one in that one pistol and in an ammo bandolier. Reloading a dummy round would require removing the bullet, and primer. It is far simpler to just load up some empty brass with a new primer, new bullet and of course putting gunpowder in it.
News to me that Starline manufactures dummy rounds, so good to know. Never heard of them manufacturing their own ammunition, and as you say they generally market only brass to reloaders. However, there are specialty companies which may utilize Starline for their ammunition business. For example, I believe Buffalo Bore has used Starline Brass in the past for their own ammunition. Would be curious to know if that is the reason Starline Brass came to be referenced in that Variety article.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
News to me that Starline manufactures dummy rounds, so good to know. Never heard of them manufacturing their own ammunition, and as you say they generally market only brass to reloaders. However, there are specialty companies which may utilize Starline for their ammunition business. For example, I believe Buffalo Bore has used Starline Brass in the past for their own ammunition. Would be curious to know if that is the reason Starline Brass came to be referenced in that Variety article.
I can confirm, Starline is great to work with and priced well, especially in the cowboy calibers.

JSmith

Master Contributor

bunnyfuzz

the craft, the cabal, the msm, and pharma. Wonder why a "Medical Investigator"? Seems an odd "authority" to determine intent.

thulle

the craft, the cabal, the msm, and pharma. Wonder why a "Medical Investigator"? Seems an odd "authority" to determine intent.
Yeah, things like that are best left to tinfoil hats to determine by looking at memes in their Facebook feeds.

JSmith

Master Contributor

JSmith

Master Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well it's possible they're just charging everyone they can to see what charge will stick. I believe a point of contention thought may be the fact Baldwin claims he never pulled the trigger and the gun just went off, however FBI investigators claim the trigger was and would needed to have been pulled;

JSmith
I wondered about the FBI report because some early reports were it was a single action revolver that would fire if one pulled back the hammer and let it go. That doesn't work if there is a transfer bar.

Correction, the revolver used on the Rust set does have a transfer bar and therefore could only fire if the trigger is pulled.

It is this model.
1873 SA Pietta long colt 45 transfer bar.

Last edited:

jkasch

Forum Donor
Baldwin was the producer. He was trying to produce the movie on a shoestring. He hired an inexperienced armorer and there were live rounds on the set as evidenced by staff having target practice during breaks. There have been reports of accidental discharges and general lack of firearm security. Trial will be interesting if Baldwin doesn’t plea.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Baldwin has sufficient funds to hire excellent lawyers. Most likely, he will get off without jail time with his actual punishment being a somewhat depleted bank account.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I could see the charges against the armory but not Baldwin.....
Over in the UK there is legislation on Corporate Manslaughter. Think Alex Baldwin might have faced the same charges over here. For me it’s fair enough, if a business presides over negligent and dangerous practices surely the people at the top must be held responsible.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Baldwin was the producer. He was trying to produce the movie on a shoestring. He hired an inexperienced armorer and there were live rounds on the set as evidenced by staff having target practice during breaks. There have been reports of accidental discharges and general lack of firearm security. Trial will be interesting if Baldwin doesn’t plea.
It does beg the question of why there were live rounds on the set at all? What practical purpose would they serve? If they wanted to show live rounds hitting an object, those could be shot separately by experts.

IMO, any adult who takes possession of a gun, especially a gun they didn't load themself, has the responsibility to check the load condition and the ammunition. Revolvers, like you'd use in a western movie set in the 19th century, are especially easy to check.

Just speaking for myself, whenever I use a loaded gun I'm acutely aware of everything about its condition, where it's pointed, whether or not there's a round in the chamber (for semiautomatics), and how many rounds are in the gun. Given the damage even one accidental live round shot can do, it is difficult to understand a person just trusting someone else to execute their responsibility perfectly, and pointing a gun you haven't examined at someone else. So I'm of the opinion that Baldwin can't be completely innocent.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
It does beg the question of why there were live rounds on the set at all? What practical purpose would they serve? If they wanted to show live rounds hitting an object, those could be shot separately by experts.

IMO, any adult who takes possession of a gun, especially a gun they didn't load themself, has the responsibility to check the load condition and the ammunition. Revolvers, like you'd use in a western movie set in the 19th century, are especially easy to check.

Just speaking for myself, whenever I use a loaded gun I'm acutely aware of everything about its condition, where it's pointed, whether or not there's a round in the chamber (for semiautomatics), and how many rounds are in the gun. Given the damage even one accidental live round shot can do, it is difficult to understand a person just trusting someone else to execute their responsibility perfectly, and pointing a gun you haven't examined at someone else. So I'm of the opinion that Baldwin can't be completely innocent.
As an ACTOR in a MOVIE, you may assume that there are no real guns & ammo being used. How on earth is that the actor’s responsibility?

jkasch

Forum Donor
As an ACTOR in a MOVIE, you may assume that there are no real guns & ammo being used. How on earth is that the actor’s responsibility?
He was the producer and ultimately responsible for the lax protocols. If someone handed you a gun and told you it was unloaded, would you point it at a loved one and pull the trigger?

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
He was the producer and ultimately responsible for the lax protocols. If someone handed you a gun and told you it was unloaded, would you point it at a loved one and pull the trigger?
On a western movie set? Yes.

Now that i’ve read that they shot with real ammo on set during breaks, this makes this another story.

Who is to blame? The producer.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Prop guns are still real guns. There's no visual difference, and with revolvers there may not be any visual or functional difference. Mistakes can be made by anyone. It is the responsibility of the person using the gun to know what it is loaded with. Firing a gun, any gun, is such a serious act that in my opinion no assumptions can be made. Ever.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Next step This will go before a judge to determine if there is probable cause for a trial.

Top Bottom