• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Affordable Accuracy Monitor Review

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
The Affordable Accuracy Mini Monitor (Pioneer Mod) is officially dead. Long live the Affordable Accuracy Plus Monitor. Details here, more measurements coming: philharmonicaudio.com

Sonny1

The Affordable Accuracy Mini Monitor (Pioneer Mod) is officially dead. Long live the Affordable Accuracy Plus Monitor. Details here, more measurements coming: philharmonicaudio.com

I’d rather have the Plus anyway. The Pioneer modded version was very good but the Plus is better across the board. Hope Amir gets one in to measure. I’m certain it will be the value leader.

TheNannerpus

I’d rather have the Plus anyway. The Pioneer modded version was very good but the Plus is better across the board. Hope Amir gets one in to measure. I’m certain it will be the value leader.

Dang it. I told my wife I was done buying speakers. :p

Sonny1

Dang it. I told my wife I was done buying speakers. :p

Story of my life! I need to clean up my stockpile before bringing in anything new. I hate shipping and have been cautious about in person sales. There will be a pair of these new speakers in my home soon. I’m trying to fight the urge to buy the new BMR’s. If the curved cabinets were available in the US, I’m not sure I could resist.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Are you taking orders now? I sent an email to [email protected] a couple of days ago. My wife gave me permission (I know--but happy wife, happy life--our 48th anniversary is in June) to buy a pair for my 70th birthday. I can't wait! Thanks!
They're very much for sale. I think I replied to all of my emails. Could you please send it again? Thanks. And just to make sure there's no confusion, this is a kit, albeit a very simple one. I don't think Ikea sells anything this easy to assemble.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is great (I can’t fathom the profit margin on these, maybe enough that Dennis can buy himself a Big Mac), but that 83.5dB sensitivity is unfortunate. The tweeter is 90dB sensitive, so it’s the woofer that’s the issue; the driver is 86dB, so 83.5dB is realistic for BSC, and it‘s rated at 50W RMS & 100W max.

For modern music, I don’t foresee an issue, but for home theater purposes I would be hesitant.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
It is great (I can’t fathom the profit margin on these, maybe enough that Dennis can buy himself a Big Mac), but that 83.5dB sensitivity is unfortunate. The tweeter is 90dB sensitive, so it’s the woofer that’s the issue; the driver is 86dB, so 83.5dB is realistic for BSC, and it‘s rated at 50W RMS & 100W max.

For modern music, I don’t foresee an issue, but for home theater purposes I would be hesitant.
Unfortunate, but perfectly compliant with the laws of nature. The woofes really do make it down into the 30's (albeit with some port noise at the very low end), so that means high mass and low sensitivity. But are watts really that expensive? Any decent and fairly inexpensive receiver can make music out of these things.

Last edited:

JonCr

Would the new AA+ be a good candidate for HT as 3 across for the LCR?

JonCr

Thanks. I don’t have external amplification, so sensitivity might be an issue with just my AVR.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks. I don’t have external amplification, so sensitivity might be an issue with just my AVR.
It depends on the AVR, but if it can put out 100 real watts per channel at low distortion in the bass, you should be fine unless you're going for reference levels, in which case you would want a whole different kind of speaker.

JoeP

It depends on the AVR, but if it can put out 100 real watts per channel at low distortion in the bass, you should be fine unless you're going for reference levels, in which case you would want a whole different kind of speaker.
Would use of a subwoofer for HT also boost output?

Ericglo

I think people over estimate how loud they need or want their sound to be. I am always a lot lower than I think, which is usually IIRC the last time I checked in the 70s.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Would use of a subwoofer for HT also boost output?
It will increase power handling and reduce the load on the amplifier in the bass range, but it won't affect sensitivity per se. But with a sub and any decent receiver, you should be able to damage your hearing.

JoeP

It will increase power handling and reduce the load on the amplifier in the bass range, but it won't affect sensitivity per se. But with a sub and any decent receiver, you should be able to damage your hearing.
My receiver (Onkyo) is rated at 120 wpc stereo at 6ohms. I plugged in the values for these speakers in stereo and my listening area into this calculator: Peak SPL Calculator (homestead.com) and the result was a max of 97.7 db at the listening position. I rarely listen as high as 80 db, so I should have plenty of power and headroom. I'm really looking forward to hearing the AA+'s.

They're very much for sale. I think I replied to all of my emails. Could you please send it again? Thanks. And just to make sure there's no confusion, this is a kit, albeit a very simple one. I don't think Ikea sells anything this easy to assemble.

Hi Dennis, are these AA+ kits still available? I sent you an email but I haven't heard back.

Top Bottom