• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adapter for iPhone 14Pro to use with IEM?

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As we're taking a longish flight later this year I want to buy a pair of IEMs to use with my iPhone 14 but I know they don't use Lightning connectors. Any recommendation for the best and most reliable adapter for this use? Likely going to buy something like the 7Hz Zero:2 as I don't anticipate becoming a regular user of IEMs or headphones. Figured you all would be able to point me in the right direction! Thanks!!

mugbot

Forum Donor
For most IEMs the Apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle works really well.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I use the 7Hz Zero 2 with the lighting Apple dongle and they sound amazing. They get pretty loud. iPhone 14 Pro Max is my phone.

VariousArtists

I like the Apple dongle except that it's not very durable that's bent hundreds of times in my pocket, I wish they offered a braided version

TheWalkman

Ken,

As Amir has noted, the Apple Dongle (DAC) is a the product to beat.

Here’s a review of the USB C version:

The Apple Dongle is an impressive product for $10. Yes, the wire is thin - some have speculated that this was designed to sacrifice the wire rather than the lightning connector should the dongle be yanked hard, say in an accidental drop, etc. My workaround to this is by adding a short length of shrink wrap tubing to the length of the cord.

IMG_4610.jpeg

I‘ve done this to the four I own and never had an issue. Works great.

(How are things in Blacksburg?)

OP
Ken1951

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ken,

As Amir has noted, the Apple Dongle (DAC) is a the product to beat.

Here’s a review of the USB C version:

The Apple Dongle is an impressive product for $10. Yes, the wire is thin - some have speculated that this was designed to sacrifice the wire rather than the lightning connector should the dongle be yanked hard, say in an accidental drop, etc. My workaround to this is by adding a short length of shrink wrap tubing to the length of the cord.

View attachment 344754

I‘ve done this to the four I own and never had an issue. Works great.

(How are things in Blacksburg?)
Things in Blacksburg are good. A high of 17F on Saturday and it was 60F today! Students are back and all is right with the world here!

Last edited:

mc.god

A bit pricier but you can consider Jcally JM10, it has good dac-amp onboard and no fixed cable, so you can swap it if it breaks ore use with other type of source changing connector.
Since their JM20 measures pretty well I would be confident it's the same.
You can buy just lightning version o with all 3 cables.

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005005135219456.html

There is absolutely zero need to go for anything other than the Apple Dongle for most portable use cases.

wunderkind

The Apple Dongle cable feels flimsy. Apart from that it's no better nor worse than one of the noname brands from Amazon to my ears anyway.

wunderkind

Like sportscars, I enjoy the driving experience than stare at dyno charts.
I appreciate Amir or anyone who put the effort into the producing squiggly lines, at the end of the day I listen with my ears.....not eyes.
Maybe my noname Amazon was just that good.

Top Bottom