• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wireless/TWS Setup: Earbuds vs BT Adapter + IEMs? Quality, value ...

CauliflowerEars

Thinking about getting a wireless setup for around 100 usd / 95 eur. Since I can't try and return the IEMs/TWSs, would be grateful for some help. Thinking:
a) TWS earbuds - seems Anker Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro. Unless Galaxy Buds 2 (not pro) can be better ...
b) Or IEMs + a BT Adapter (but less expensive than FiiO UTWS-5)

Q1. Which setup would you choose and why?
If IEMs + BT Adapter, can you recommend which adapter? Can cheaper ones lose a lot of the SQ or functionalities?
Q2. How high in terms of sound quality and headphone experience can these go? Say, on a scale to 100.
To help justify splashing out if needed.

Main use: working out, sometimes travels, maybe around the house.
So, maybe I don't truly need this setup (or splashing out), but seems going wireless can be handy.
I already have a speaker setup and basic Apple wired headphones for calls.
iPhone user - in case it matters :)

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know what kind of working out you do, I do resistance training and cardio and I bought the UTWS-5 thinking that I am gonna use them during exercise but they did not work really well. They are larger and clunkier compared to TWS options with very limited benefits.

For your budget and use case, I would probably try to get my hands on a 2nd Gen Apple Airpods. New ones are €150. I think you can get them second hand for ca €100.

OP
C

CauliflowerEars

I don't know what kind of working out you do, I do resistance training and cardio and I bought the UTWS-5 thinking that I am gonna use them during exercise but they did not work really well. They are larger and clunkier compared to TWS options with very limited benefits.

For your budget and use case, I would probably try to get my hands on a 2nd Gen Apple Airpods. New ones are €150. I think you can get them second hand for ca €100.
Thanks. I would use them mainly for lifting and mobility training. I also wear glasses, so got worried the adapters will be uncomfortable.
Within my budget, I can get the Anker Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro. A bit worried about getting TWS 2nd hand (esp. in terms of the battery).

It's just that apparently TWS sound quality is lower than IEMs ...
That also made me consider just some super cheap TWS ... But then, maybe the Anker sound quality would be good enough to enjoy the music ...
Unfortunately, the shops say TWS can't be returned for hygienic issues, so can't really try.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are quite a few options to choose from on the TWS camp I reckon - just do a quick search here and you will find recent posts discussing lots of options. I have seen JBLs thrown around quite positively as well. The reason I suggested Airpods is because nothing comes close to the convenience and ease of use of airpods if you own an iphone.

OP
C

CauliflowerEars

There are quite a few options to choose from on the TWS camp I reckon - just do a quick search here and you will find recent posts discussing lots of options. I have seen JBLs thrown around quite positively as well. The reason I suggested Airpods is because nothing comes close to the convenience and ease of use of airpods if you own an iphone.
I think I care more about the sound quality, than the AirPods' additional functionality.
Are you still using the UTWS-5 for working out or something else?

markanini

Major Contributor
Your really have to weight in the cumulative annoyance of any wireless solution that's not tailor made for your system, first. And before thinking of sound, think of comfort. Most Airpod revisions have a shallow fit, which works for some but not all users.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I care more about the sound quality, than the AirPods' additional functionality.
If your main use case is working out as you said, I don't think you'd be able to appreciate (or care for) the SQ difference in my opinion. I have Jabras, Samsungs, B&Os and some other TWSs as well yet the only time I use anything other than the airpods with the phone is when the Mrs takes my Airpods because hers are out of battery.

Are you still using the UTWS-5 for working out or something else?
No, they sit in the box doing nothing. I charge them from time to time so that the batteries don't die out and that's all the action they see.

OP
C

CauliflowerEars

No, they sit in the box doing nothing
Oh, do you use IEMs for any use cases, or have moved to 100% TWS?
Is there much, and noticeable difference in sound quality?

If your main use case is working out as you said, I don't think you'd be able to appreciate (or care for) the SQ difference in my opinion.
My thinking was: better Sound Quality would enhance the experience, enjoyment, and the benefits of music (especially during rest time).

Another scenario I'm considering: cheap sport-specific TWS just for working out + IEMs for decent quality on the go (apparently can get good SQ for not much; say, Truthear Hexa or so)

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another scenario I'm considering: cheap sport-specific TWS just for working out + IEMs for decent quality on the go (apparently can get good SQ for not much; say, Truthear Hexa or so)
That might not be a bad idea. To Markanini's point though, beyond sound quality, best to check cheap TWS vs annoying connectivity issues, fit and comfort. rtings.com might be a useful resourse for that. Same goes for the IEMs as well - a great sounding IEM that makes your ears hurt after 15 mins might not be extremely useful.

Top Bottom