• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Speakers Better? No, per Michael Borresen

chorus

The best sounding speaker I have had the pleasure to hear is made by Borresen.
I recently spent time with Michael Borresen in Seattle at a show. It was slow so
I was able to speak with him for a time. I asked him if he plans an active speaker.
His answer was a definitive and immediate "No". He said separates sound better.

His statement flies in the face of what passes in most audio corners as commonly recognized facts.

Sadly I am too technically challenged to convey any of his further explanation.

I invite all intelligent commentary on this question. Theoretical or not.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Devil is in the details. Ultimately actives can be better. In practice many take advantage everywhere except power amps where they skimp too much.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He seems to prefer series crossovers, something he can’t do in an active system. And what’s up with that obsession with inductance? That can’t be healthy…

Crossover looks curious though: it seems to have a few active components:
Crossover-01_Component_Total.png

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm:
Sure. He also says that cryogenizing his own speakers makes them sound even better. And charges 6000€ for it.
Cryogenic process
Extreme treatment, huge improvement.
Cryogenic treatment of all metal components of the loudspeaker results in a further significant improvement in conductivity – unleashing finest and most subtle musical details. When metal components undergo cryogenic processing, they are subjected to extreme cooling. In the wake of this process, the crystal structure of the metal contracts more and more. Alloying elements are pushed out of the grain structure of the metal, which now becomes very similar to a monocrystal. These structural changes in the metal have a profound effect on its audio properties, resulting in an increase of conductivity by 6-8%.

The only Børresen I've heard was the Z3 at a show, so not ideal listening conditions for sure, but... It just sounded awful. Even worse when I came to know the pair costs 26-32k€ (32k for Cryo Edition)

I won't listen anything that this guy has to say. Cheers.

Last edited:
OP
chorus

chorus

He seems to prefer series crossovers, something he can’t do in an active system. And what’s up with that obsession with inductance? That can’t be healthy…

Which Borresen model is this XO from?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which Borresen model is this XO from?
No idea, I randomly picked a stand mount.

Also, I can’t find any resources that say that metals become more electrically conductive after cryogenic treatment. They do tend to become more thermally conductive though. These statements seem to be quite misleading.

OP
chorus

chorus

It is a Borresen though right?

JiiPee

The old truth - It ain't what You do, but how You do it - is valid also when it comes to speaker design. Great sounding speakers can be made in both active and passive configuration. Having said that, I think the configuration that offers highest potential is based on doing the crossovers first in digital domain and then having separate d/a and power amplification for each driver.

Some people object having amplifiers integrated in speaker cabinets, but nothing prevents from building a system with dsp, d/a and power amplification as separate entities and having speaker cabinets containing only the drivers.

DanielT

Major Contributor
:facepalm:
Sure. He also says that cryogenizing his own speakers makes them sound even better. And charges 6000€ for it.

The only Børresen I've heard was the Z3 at a show, so not ideal listening conditions for sure, but... It just sounded awful. Even worse when I came to know the pair costs 26-32k€ (32k for Cryo Edition)

I won't listen anything that this guy have to say. Cheers.
My neighbors the Danes. Undeniably a fascinating HiFi country considering its population how much good HiFi they produced. But this Michael Borresen.....as soon as I, or anyone else, hears the word cryogenizing, CLOSE YOUR WALLET IMMEDIATELY.o_O

Here, however, is a Dane who is the real deal::D

DanielT

Major Contributor
It is a Borresen though right?
No, it is not possible to generalize in that way. There are good and bad passive as well as active speakers.:)

Edit:
That being said, there are some brands that almost never seem to do anything wrong. Active speaker manufacturers like Genelec for example.
As for passive. KEF is in most cases good and Andrew Jones' ELAC designs are probably the first thing that comes to mind.
Wharfedale is generally good. In fact, for the sound and its looks, I think this one is among the most interesting speakers, in that price range, at the moment::D

Good budget speakers::)

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
resulting in an increase of conductivity by 6-8%.
For steel, cryogenic treatment actually results in an increase in resistance, more than doubling in some cases. Cryogenic treatment was developed as a way to increase hardness and wear resistance in tool metals. This is just another example of audiophile snake-oil merchants latching onto something they don’t understand because they know the gullible fools they sell to will be equally clueless.

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The best sounding speaker I have had the pleasure to hear is made by Borresen.
I recently spent time with Michael Borresen in Seattle at a show. It was slow so
I was able to speak with him for a time. I asked him if he plans an active speaker.

His statement flies in the face of what passes in most audio corners as commonly recognized facts.

Sadly I am too technically challenged to convey any of his further explanation.

I invite all intelligent commentary on this question. Theoretical or not.
From what I have read this is the same dude that goes to great lengths to eliminate that evil inductance in his driver's voices coils only to add it back again in his passive crossovers. Someone should tell him that this wouldn't happen in an active system if the amplifier was driving the speaker driver directly. Any design engineer worth his salt would already know this but then I guess his dealers can't up-sell more of his standalone separate components if he'd designed it properly in the first place and put it all inside his speaker box. :D LOL

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
From what I have read this is the same dude that goes to great lengths to eliminate that evil inductance in his driver's voices coils only to add it back again in his passive crossovers. Someone should tell him that this wouldn't happen in an active system if the amplifier was driving the speaker driver directly. Any design engineer worth his salt would already know this but then I guess his dealers can't up-sell more of his standalone separate components if he'd designed it properly in the first place and put it all inside his speaker box. :D LOL
So the brother of GR Research

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For steel, cryogenic treatment actually results in an increase in resistance, more than doubling in some cases. Cryogenic treatment was developed as a way to increase hardness and wear resistance in tool metals. This is just another example of audiophile snake-oil merchants latching onto something they don’t understand because they know the gullible fools they sell to will be equally clueless.

I prefer carbonite, although it does resonate

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor

In the realms of magic tricks it's called slight of hand and misdirection ;) How much of this stuff sold by the same vendor would be redundant in a well designed active speaker ??

noiseangel

I think he has had his head in a freezer.

Walt Disney is cryogenizing right now. Will he sound better when when he thaws out?
In the realms of magic tricks it's called slight of hand and misdirection ;) How much of this stuff sold by the same vendor would be redundant in a well designed active speaker ??

You both saved me from replying.

Top Bottom