• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active B&O Beoloab 8 pair or Fink Epos 14N speakers?

NHL99

Active B&O Beolab 8 or C-H Fink Epos 14N speakers?
The passive speakers will be more expensive since they would require an amplifier such as Cyrus i9-XR. Which could be best choice? Is there some alternative at 1/10 of the cost?

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Beolab 8 is just announced. No measurements available so nobody can give serious advice. Btw: 6000 Euro for a smallish pair of active speakers with a 5 inch bass driver and therefor simply no dynamics (90 dB max for a pair in 1 m)???

So yes, must be a joke.

OP
NHL99

NHL99

So it's narrowed down Fink Epos 14N, based on the feedback. Which amp would be sufficient?

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All the mentioned pieces of equipment seem to be a bit on the esoteric side as in they cost very much compared to what they seem to bring to the table.

The cookie cutter solution would be Kef R3 Meta or Revel M106 with some Hypex Ncore NC252 based amp.

Grotti

Forum Donor
If it has to be the Epos 14 (for whatever reason) at 87 dB efficiency (specs of the manufacturer) there are many amplifiers reviewed by Amir, which will be perfectly fine. Hypex NCore would also be my first choice....

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Seems you were contemplating a 6000 € budget, since the Beolab 8, these are active, were in the running. You are not far from a Kef LS 60, with a list price of 6599 €. By all accounts , measurements and reviews, a, not merely "good", but great loudspeaker.
My own advice, up the budget a bit or haggle to death for a pair of LS60. One of the best speakers around, at any price.

Peace.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Gotta wonder about Ascend Acoustics ELX Towers with a miniDSP SHD Power Amp?

OP
NHL99

NHL99

If it has to be the Epos 14 (for whatever reason) at 87 dB efficiency (specs of the manufacturer) there are many amplifiers reviewed by Amir, which will be perfectly fine. Hypex NCore would also be my first choice....
Which of the Hypex NCore, if one doesn't want the DIY part?

Epos 14 interest due to Fink design, more on the blog https://karl-heinz-fink.de/category/epos

Grotti

Forum Donor
Which of the Hypex NCore, if one doesn't want the DIY part?

Epos 14 interest due to Fink design, more on the blog https://karl-heinz-fink.de/category/epos
Apollon, Buckeye, Audiophonics, Nord etc. Just have a look at the tested devices. Btw. : if you are only interested in the Epos speakers because of Mr. Fink I strongly recommend not to fall for audiophile BS. Are you located in Germany by any Chance?

I don't want to come across as offensive: peace ;)

OP
NHL99

NHL99

Apollon, Buckeye, Audiophonics, Nord etc. Just have a look at the tested devices. Btw. : if you are only interested in the Epos speakers because of Mr. Fink I strongly recommend not to fall for audiophile BS. Are you located in Germany by any Chance?

I don't want to come across as offensive: peace ;)
My logo is from the latest NHL event in Stockholm, to give a hint of origin.
What attracted the interest is the software used to design the loudspeakers, together with some serious measuring equipment. I currently don't have any audiophile equipment, although used to have twenty years ago, such as ProAc.
PNL.

komhst

6.000€ for a pair of such small speakers with a 5 1/4 inch woofer??? I wouldn't call it value for money.

OP
NHL99

NHL99

Yesterday, listened to the Epos at an Audio Fair. iFi Audio NEO stream into a Bryston B60, to the speakers. Clearly above average sound, should be auditioned by anyone interested in compact speakers, to check if they fit the bill.

Top Bottom