• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

gcompari

Wishlist.

Soundcards:
- RME BabyFace Pro
- RMA DigiFace USB (analog out)
- Arturia Audiofuse

Portable DAC/Amp:
- HRT microStreamer
- HRT dSp
- Musiland MU2 (w/o "plus")

Test measurements:
- Crosstalk
- S/N (w/o THD)
- output impedance vs. freq.

Test for all DUTs:
- THD (w/o Noise) vs. freq. & out power
- IMD vs. freq. & out power

gcompari

This is already in my testing. Is there some variation you are looking for that is not?
For example I can't find SNR in your interesting reviews of:
- Musiland MU2 Plus
- Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital
- Centrance DacPort HD

I saw THD+N (SINAD), but I can't find the distinct values for SNR and THD.

In the Pre Box S2 I can find the IMD test, but I can't find it in the DacPort HD and MU2 Plus reviews.

Portable, USB powered and less expensive DAC/HeadAmps are often problematic about crosstalk.

Probably I used a bad abbreviation (w/o => without): sorry I'm Italian...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For example I can't find SNR in your interesting reviews of:
- Musiland MU2 Plus
- Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital
- Centrance DacPort HD
I have not standardize on suite of tests then. I have now and do run SNR measurements.

Veri

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
In the Pre Box S2 I can find the IMD test, but I can't find it in the DacPort HD and MU2 Plus reviews.

Portable, USB powered and less expensive DAC/HeadAmps are often problematic about crosstalk.

Probably I used a bad abbreviation (w/o => without): sorry I'm Italian...
When looking at older reviews, Amir's testing methodology has really changed over time. Since many units were loaned to him he can't go back and do some missing measurement, not to mention the time it would take :)

I'd be very curious to see 2 channel DACs measured from the pro world, particularly these companies:
  • Lavry Engineering
  • Crane Song
  • Dangerous Music
  • Prism
  • Weiss
  • Forssell
  • Burl Audio
  • Antelope Audio
  • Apogee
  • Presonus
  • Fostex
And then PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC, and the Sennheiser HDVD 800.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd be very curious to see 2 channel DACs measured from the pro world, particularly these companies:
  • Lavry Engineering
  • Crane Song
  • Dangerous Music
  • Prism
  • Weiss
  • Forssell
  • Burl Audio
  • Antelope Audio
  • Apogee
  • Presonus
  • Fostex
And then PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC, and the Sennheiser HDVD 800.
I don't have any leads on those as of now. How about posting on Gearstluz to see if any owners want them measured?

Anything from Mola Mola. However, perhaps their DAC deserves prioritised scrutiny, given what they claim:

We decided to stay out of that cycle and design, from the ground up, a discrete DAC whose unbeatable staying power results simply from being more than 10 years ahead of the performance curve. There's room enough for improvement: today’s best DAC chip claims no better than 22 bits’ worth of dynamic range and only 20 bits’ worth of linearity. High resolution music deserves better than that. MolaMola’s DAC is designed from the ground up using circuits and digital algorithms that were entirely developed in house.

The converter is a three board stack that fits in one of the option slots in the preamp. On the first board, all incoming digital audio is upsampled to 3.125MHz/32 bits and converted to noise shaped PWM. The two remaining boards are mono DACs, in which a discrete 32- stage FIR DAC and a single-stage 4th order filtering I/V converter convert the PWM into analogue with a breathtaking 140dB SNR. This is near the theoretical limit for 24-bit files and far beyond that of even quad-speed DSD. Uniquely, distortion remains below the noise floor even for full scale signals

Full-Scale Output Level: 20 dBu
Signal to Noise Ratio: 140 dB (standalone version), 130dB (preamp option board)
THD, IMD: not measurable (estimated -150 dB).
Bandwidth: Up to 80 kHz.
Integrated jitter: <1 ps from 10 Hz upwards, <300 fs from 1 kHz upwards.
Jitter rejection: >80 dB at 1 Hz after 20 seconds of lock.

Top Bottom