• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

Daverz

Major Contributor
I would like to see the miniDSP OpenDRC-DA8 reviewed. I know Amir doesn't care for their style of software implementation which is pretty clunky. But as far as ways to properly integrate a subwoofer, or subwoofers, and perform room correction there are not many high performance options. At least not very affordable ones. The miniDSP SHD is a great option but $1150 is a bit out of my price range. With the addition of this kit I think the DA8 would make a good digital preamp.

Seconded. I'm looking at this for a digital crossover project. Also the U-DAC8. The Okto 8 channel DAC would put me way over what I want to budget for the whole project.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd definitely also like to see some of the newer TOTL Pro Audio interfaces measured!
MFG Specs:
Antelope Amari (128 DR ADC, 138 DR DAC)
Apollo X16 (124 DR ADC, 133 DR DAC)
Merging Anubis (139 DR ADC, 123 DR DAC)
Apogee Symphony 2x6 (124 DR ADC, 131 DR DAC)

Otherwise I've got a Motu 828ES if anyone really wants to see it measured.

An Outlaw 5000 too ... but there's some measurements on Audioholics already ... and it's pretty heavy to be shipping back and forth. I suppose if anyone has a Outlaw 7000x or the new 7220 ... or some other surround amps that work with 4 ohm loads on all channels (Magnepans/Electrostatic speakers)
Best thing to do is contact the manufacturers and ask them to send one in for review. This is has become quite effective as of late, due to rising popularity of the work we are doing here. Let them know that if they measure as well as they say, it will lead to more business for them with a positive review.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
DBX 4800 / 4820 as dac.
I found this one to sound exceptionally good in my system, so it would be nice to know if my ears can be trusted, or not.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about the Cambridge Edge NQ DAC? They won't disclose the technology. When I emailed them they could only confirm it isn't an oversampling design (hence analog volume control).

I have one, and I like the way it sounds. A-B'd it against several modes of the IFI DSD Pro and fancied I like the CA. Heavy sumbitch tho. I wouldn't want to lug it around.

Silou

I would highly appreciate if you could test the Hifiman Speaker Adapter with an approved amplifier like the Benchmark one or one of the Hypex builds. Could this replace a good headphone amplifier? You would not have to buy seperate amplifiers four your headphones and speaker :D This would probably only work for extremely hard to drive headphones like the HE6 or K1000

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@Purité Audio, do you have a Mola Mola by chance?

They often wash up on the beaches in Australia...:

1563178500154.png

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-19/giant-sunfish-found-washed-ashore-in-south-australia/10915266

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

spaace

I have not read the entire thread but some more love for digital source components to be fed into one of those excellent DACs reviewed by Amir would be good. The hifiberry cards have been good to know about.

I would surely be interested in seeing the digital output quality of a couple of the popular bluray players out there. As a plus it would be of interest to both the music and video folks.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have not read the entire thread but some more love for digital source components to be fed into one of those excellent DACs reviewed by Amir would be good. The hifiberry cards have been good to know about.

I would surely be interested in seeing the digital output quality of a couple of the popular bluray players out there. As a plus it would be of interest to both the music and video folks.
As seen in the Gustard X26 though, digital is digital. Differences should be inaudible.

spaace

As seen in the Gustard X26 though, digital is digital. Differences should be inaudible.

Thanks - Oh thats good to know that no ones majorly worried about the digital outputs. Sets my mind at rest.

But isnt Jitter a concern though?

I was thinking of reviews like this

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks - Oh thats good to know that no ones majorly worried about the digital outputs. Sets my mind at rest.

But isnt Jitter a concern though?

I was thinking of reviews like this
It is reviewed as a network interface though :) something like Topping D10 is more than enough, jitter at or under -120dB is transparant which most devices reach just fine.

As a matter of fact "hearing jitter" is one of those audiophile myths, for sure.... don't get lost in the upgrade rabbit hole.

spaace

It is reviewed as a network interface though :) something like Topping D10 is more than enough, jitter at or under -120dB is transparant which most devices reach just fine.

As a matter of fact "hearing jitter" is one of those audiophile myths, for sure.... don't get lost in the upgrade rabbit hole.

Sure Thanks for explaining it. But if i may ask, Iam not sure why its a network interface thing alone. I use a digione ,which you refer to as a network interface, as a source. So if jitter concerns are valid for it, i fail to see why its not valid for the other digital sources.

Are we sure that all electronics that produce digital output will definitely be playing golf with pink panther when Amir gets his hand on them?

The way i see it, this forum has cleaned up a lot of deadwood around the DAC & the amp (not any tube ones though?) . We may be considering the speakers, which would be great. But i would really love if Amir covers the sources too, since that would clean up the full chain, leaving the speakers alone, which obviously is extremely subjective.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Came across this interesting Dual-AK4493 DAC off Aliexpress while searching for AK4493 products.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33046405539.html

HTB1JNmmSCzqK1RjSZFHq6z3CpXa1.jpg

Interesting specs and functionality with BT 5.0, and pretty decent HP output power that seems on par with the DX3Pro.

They are listed as low as US$107/- with Amanero USB interface and free shipping. (used the above link as this one had the most complete listing of specifications and photos)

The HP output impedance and eventual noise floor is a big unknown here. But if it can achieve a fair 100 dB for SINAD, think it would make for a great budget device for many, many scenarios.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://vintageking.com/merging-technologies-anubis-premium
https://www.merging.com/products/interfaces/merging+anubis

Merging Technologies Anubis Premium. Would kill for a review of these. Looks like the logical step up from the ADI-2, Swiss-made with Ravenna support (control up to 256 channels!), DSD256, 384kHz, bass management, crossfeed and delay. And IMO looks sexy as hell:

Product page says the bass management is:
  • Freely configurable crossover filters on every speaker and LFE
  • Adjustable cut frequency from 20 Hz to 200 Hz
  • Adjustable cut off slope 6/12/18/24/30 up to 36 dB/ octave
  • Trim Level and time alignment Delay for every speaker and LFE
  • Time alignment / Lip sync delay up to 200 ms
  • 10 dB LFE boost fonction
  • 2 LFE channels acting as stereo Sub channel
SINAD specced at < -110dB (no mention of weighting) at 0dBFS but unknown output voltage.

edit: Just realised Merging has already been mentioned.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
https://vintageking.com/merging-technologies-anubis-premium
https://www.merging.com/products/interfaces/merging+anubis

Merging Technologies Anubis Premium. Would kill for a review of these. Looks like the logical step up from the ADI-2, Swiss-made with Ravenna support (control up to 256 channels!), DSD256, 384kHz, bass management, crossfeed and delay. And IMO looks sexy as hell:

Product page says the bass management is:
  • Freely configurable crossover filters on every speaker and LFE
  • Adjustable cut frequency from 20 Hz to 200 Hz
  • Adjustable cut off slope 6/12/18/24/30 up to 36 dB/ octave
  • Trim Level and time alignment Delay for every speaker and LFE
  • Time alignment / Lip sync delay up to 200 ms
  • 10 dB LFE boost fonction
  • 2 LFE channels acting as stereo Sub channel
SINAD specced at < -110dB (no mention of weighting) at 0dBFS but unknown output voltage.

edit: Just realised Merging has already been mentioned.

Interesting...

But seems like a horizontal move to the RME ADI-2 rather than a step up, to me.

It's different, for sure. I has some different features (but also missing some) relative to the ADI-2.

The downloadable "Missions" sound....interesting? Maybe?

Wish it had a remote!

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting...

It's different, for sure. I has some different features (but also missing some) relative to the ADI-2.

Wish it had a remote!

I think the "Missions" refer to firmware with different features for different applications, but the same hardware.

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting...

Wish it had a remote!

it is meant to be a remote already as a monitor controller :D

Top Bottom