• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
^ Indeed!

EDIT: What would be the best way to test these USB interface reclockers? Feed the reclocked signal to a DAC via for example SPDIF and then compare results with and without the reclocker I guess. But then we have DACs that have their own reclockers etc (like RME ADI-2 SteadyClock) and this is where it gets blurry to me...

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, sir, please tell me when to wait for AHB2 review?
It will be a while. I have not asked for it. Even though I keep saying No to new gear, the pile to review is still quite large.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
So Topping has come out with a "DX7 Pro" !

Can't seem to find it anywhere on the web, though its supposed to be showcased at CanJam Singapore this coming weekend!

dx7 pro front.jpg dx7 pro rear.jpg

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two items I'd love to see;
One, the icepower modules, now sold in the USA by Parts Express, and by Ghent Audio in nice cases. It would be extremely helpful to see how they stack up to Hypex.

Two, I'd be curious to see how old CD players of various vintages stack up to modern good dacs. Late 80s Sony ES would be a good start.

Amir, I'm sure you have a CD player lying around somewhere!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Two, I'd be curious to see how old CD players of various vintages stack up to modern good dacs. Late 80s Sony ES would be a good start.

Amir, I'm sure you have a CD player lying around somewhere!
I have a Linn CD player which retailed for $4,000 back in year 2000! I will put it on the bench when I get a chance....

Newk Yuler

Suggesting the Metrum Acoustics Flint DAC with optional Dac TWO modules or Amethyst headphone DAC/amp (comes with Dac TWO modules). Both are single ended NOS R2R and sub $1k USD, although the Amethyst may be easier to obtain here in the US. The Dac TWO modules in the Flint DAC were said to cost an additional $150 and apparently has to be ordered that way from Metrum. The Amethyst has USB. Mid 2017 measurements at SBAF.

The Denafrips Ares single ended and balanced R2R DAC is a pretty serious curiosity. Currently about $664 USD from Singapore. Mid 2017 measurements at SBAF.

Newk Yuler

Those are pretty poor results. WOuldn't make sense to buy one then.

Thanks, but considering these R2R resistor DACs seems is pressing against good sense anyway. I was more curious about the Ares, although its tests looked pretty meh, too. Better considering a Soekris. At least we know they're well engineered.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks, but considering these R2R resistor DACs seems is pressing against good sense anyway. I was more curious about the Ares, although its tests looked pretty meh, too. Better considering a Soekris. At least we know they're well engineered.
The holo Cyan measured decent enough too ;)

marksquared

Forum Donor

Oukkidoukki

I don’t know if it is possible to measure the integrated dac in some active speakers........for example edifier s3000 pro......

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It would be interesting to see measurements of something like the Sabrent USB audio interface, which retails for $7.50 and is only slightly larger than a postage stamp:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_1

I'm currently traveling with one, and so far the sound seems decent paired with a Sennheiser IE 800S. I wonder how the measurements would compare to the Musiland MU2.
I have bought some of these (another brand) but no time to measure them yet.....

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don’t know if it is possible to measure the integrated dac in some active speakers........for example edifier s3000 pro......
No, there is no good way to measure them.

Top Bottom