• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A testimonial about "EMI meters"

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Received this message from a member. He asked me to post it in the public forum (he is new and doesn't yet know how).

---
Hello, a few years ago when considering the merits of an IsoTek Sigmas Power Conditioner and whether one could be benefical in my system, the retailer loaned me a Tri Fields Line EMI EM100 Monitor to take home and try. It showed considerable distortion measurement differences between the various power outlets at home, the worst culprit being the dedicated AC Spur that was put in expressly for my audio system - horror!

A comparison before and after connecting the IsoTek Sigmas into the system showed a considerable improvement to the Line Noise when it was in the circuit, and also a reduction in radio band hash - it was impressive. Needless to say I purchased the Sigmas and until recently never thought too much more about it - until I read the "noise" about the ineffectiveness or otherwise of power conditioners - on ASR that is.

So I removed the Sigmas Conditioner after it being in my system for several years connecting everything back directly into the wall and immediately noticed - - NO DIFFERENCE! - at least that I could tell.

I remember that this retailer (and no doubt others) seemed keen that I try the EMI meter, probably because of the success of mains power conditioner sales when one is faced with this sort of "irrefutable evIdence"!! I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on this Line Noise EMI measuring device.

----

This is what the device looks like:
6efc77ca-2032-48cb-9f80-459a800e7b11.__CR166,0,2668,1650_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

I have bought a version that Monster Cable was giving to their retailers to sell their tweaks. I plan to test it at some point.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
452mV peak to peak?

That generic picture speaks for itself. If less than half a volt of noise on a 115 volt line equates to the yellow bar being at 50%, it is terribly misleading.

I am sure such a device could be cheated just by throwing a mix 75 ferrite ring around the AC input.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad he wised up in the end. The average person doesn't realize how much nasty stuff is on the line under normal conditions. I guess they think it's the pristine 50 or 60Hz sine wave that online tutorials show.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have one too, bought cheap for fun (they are also available as clean living esoterical detectors...for a lot more...always the same unit...). Searching online you find photos and descriptions of its inside working. AFAIR it mainly downfolds high frequency content into the audible range so it becomes audible on the speaker. This is a bit misleading as stuff 100 kHz and higher is clearly irrelevant. But it also explains why it shows improvement with power filters as these only work in that inaudible frequency range.

Looking forward to some @amirm debunking...

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Clearly, the member selected the wrong meter. He should have used this one:
emeter.jpg

The inventor with the prototype:
lronemeter.jpg

srmusic

Now THAT’S a meter! Do you wear it on your wrist or on your head?

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He used the Sigma for years without regular, official maintenance. No wonder it didn't work any more.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one too, bought cheap for fun (they are also available as clean living esoterical detectors...for a lot more...always the same unit...). Searching online you find photos and descriptions of its inside working. AFAIR it mainly downfolds high frequency content into the audible range so it becomes audible on the speaker. This is a bit misleading as stuff 100 kHz and higher is clearly irrelevant. But it also explains why it shows improvement with power filters as these only work in that inaudible frequency range.

Looking forward to some @amirm debunking...
Amir has demonstrated that several rather expensive audiophile filters make no audible improvement. As Jim said, sure the noise is there, but a competent designer already knows that and installed appropriate filters in the power inlet of the amp, DAC etc.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No power conditioners in this universe will make any difference to the sound. But in rare circumstances, some sensitive electronics (none of which is HiFi) can benefit from it, but all you need is a generic and cheap isolation transformer.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@amirm should buy this one so he can test it in 'APx555 style'.
esr-emi-test-receiver-front-view-rohde-schwarz_200_13519_1024_576_2.jpg

SSS

I think the horrifyingly dangerous effects of EMI were covered quite comprehensively in Better Call Saul:
View attachment 298660
Well, not audio related, but there were microwave guns developed to heat up the skin of people in order to defend protesting people crowds. It seems that these were not used in the past.

Galliardist

Major Contributor

Galliardist

Major Contributor
He used the Sigma for years without regular, official maintenance. No wonder it didn't work any more.
What regular, official maintenance does it need, and why is none of that mentioned in any of the promotional material for the product, or by any reseller?

SSS

Received this message from a member. He asked me to post it in the public forum (he is new and doesn't yet know how).

---
Hello, a few years ago when considering the merits of an IsoTek Sigmas Power Conditioner and whether one could be benefical in my system, the retailer loaned me a Tri Fields Line EMI EM100 Monitor to take home and try. It showed considerable distortion measurement differences between the various power outlets at home, the worst culprit being the dedicated AC Spur that was put in expressly for my audio system - horror!

A comparison before and after connecting the IsoTek Sigmas into the system showed a considerable improvement to the Line Noise when it was in the circuit, and also a reduction in radio band hash - it was impressive. Needless to say I purchased the Sigmas and until recently never thought too much more about it - until I read the "noise" about the ineffectiveness or otherwise of power conditioners - on ASR that is.

So I removed the Sigmas Conditioner after it being in my system for several years connecting everything back directly into the wall and immediately noticed - - NO DIFFERENCE! - at least that I could tell.

I remember that this retailer (and no doubt others) seemed keen that I try the EMI meter, probably because of the success of mains power conditioner sales when one is faced with this sort of "irrefutable evIdence"!! I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on this Line Noise EMI measuring device.

----

This is what the device looks like:
6efc77ca-2032-48cb-9f80-459a800e7b11.__CR166,0,2668,1650_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

I have bought a version that Monster Cable was giving to their retailers to sell their tweaks. I plan to test it at some point.
What a gimmick. Just fooling people unknown to electrics and electronics. There is no real relation of "guessing measurement" to the maybe influence into audio equipment. Of course there is always noise on the mains lines. Funny that the unit uses only 2 pin connection, not guessing the common noise to safety ground. Therefore for the price asked pretty useless.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Um, how much does one of them cost?

Not intended for mortals. About the equivalent of a really nice car.... :)
These are highly specialized EMC lab test devices that can be used for some emission EMC measurements.
One would need a lot of probes, antennae etc and a lab to get something useful out of them.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course if you sell one to audiophiles, the price is more like $250,000.

Reactions: SSS
Top Bottom