• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

A Short History of High-End Audio Cables

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
Fulton cables were prior to Monster. (I didn't watch the video). William Low of Audioquest was selling a LiveWire brand prior to starting AQ and roughly the same time Monster was started. I suppose Monster was the first widely known company for such cables.

I think this is Geoff Kait’s best tweak ever and it’s free!

The Photos in the Freezer Tweak is simple. Place two photos of yourself, one a younger photo and the other a more recent photo in separate clear ziplock bags. With a fine tip RED PEN write on one side of each ziplock bag,

‘x = PRESENT TIME

and on the other side with RED PEN write,

‘x 26 ‘x

Note that x is lower case.

Place the finished two ziplock bags with photos in the freezer and keep them there.

Then listen to some things you’re familiar with and see if the sound is improved. You do not have to wait until the photos are frozen. If you are not sure if the sound improved, try taking the photos out of the freezer and listen again without the photos. If you hear the sound as improved with the photos IN the freezer you can leave them there.

Copied from: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussi...y-design-or-by-tweaking?page=3&sort_order=asc

Martin

MediumRare

Patreon Donor
talk about all these different masterings and pressings (some going for ridiculous $$$) of Led Zep II ... and the first track - Whole Lotta Love - just sounds like crap. The distortion and all, which gets worse as Page and Kramer got excited on that old 12 channel rotary console they mixed it on.

Watch that vid at the end where at the fade the original that was "remastered" in 2014 just sounds hideous... as did the old pressings and CD
Yes! I need better SQ Led Zeppelin. What can you recommend?

DonH56

Technical Expert
Technical Expert
Patreon Donor
I still have a pair of Fulton Gold cables with short Fulton Brown jumpers to fit my ARC D-79's terminal block (which I do not have anymore).

ajawamnet

Fulton cables were prior to Monster. (I didn't watch the video). William Low of Audioquest was selling a LiveWire brand prior to starting AQ and roughly the same time Monster was started. I suppose Monster was the first widely known company for such cables.

I was fabbing Blue Litz cables around the same time - early 1980s. Monster was founded in 1978
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Cable

I recall when I was designing the 2x1AC preamp for Lane Poor - the pick manufacturer - him telling me that he was one of the first production managers at Monster. Told me he couldn't stand the marketturds for very long and left.

AudioSceptic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the UK the first branded cables I was aware of were QED 79-Strand and Radio Spares 56-Strand. This was late 70s, I think, but does anyone know exactly when?

blueone

Patreon Donor
The most curious thing about the article, and the rest of Olsher's work for Stereophile and The Absolute Sound, is that he apparently is or was a physicist at Los Alamos National Laboratory. At least I suspect he is actually Richard H. Olsher, because sometimes the name Dick Olsher is mentioned as a LANL researcher. Still, you would think a practicing physicist would be the least likely person to fall for audio cable myths.

https://www.researchgate.net/scientific-contributions/39879423_Richard_H_Olsher

Top Bottom