• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A response to "Grinding your own gears" by John H. Darko

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you food fascists given any thought on designing some nice uniforms?
A classical Neopolitan uniform. Which reminds me is it still pizza if it is delivered by someone on a horse wearing that uniform? Did Napoli ever have a classical take out service?

1585589521911.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Oh come now....how can you pizza purists ingest any so called "pizza" if it doesn't come from a proper oak-fired stone oven? This is no longer following a classic designated way to cook the pizza pie. It would be like using a big green egg just because it is dome shaped and can maintain 900 degree temps thinking that makes it okay.

That's actually true. We can capture a lot of what makes wood-fired pizza great, but it's never quite as good as the real thing.

One day, we'll be homeowners again and my wife can build the oven she's been lusting after.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Oh come now....how can you pizza purists ingest any so called "pizza" if it doesn't come from a proper oak-fired stone oven? This is no longer following a classic designated way to cook the pizza pie. It would be like using a big green egg just because it is dome shaped and can maintain 900 degree temps thinking that makes it okay.

True pizza requires 450-650 deg C. :p

QMuse

Major Contributor
A classical Neopolitan uniform. Which reminds me is it still pizza if it is delivered by someone on a horse wearing that uniform? Did Napoli ever have a classical take out service?

Take out service for pizza in Naples? You gotta be kidding.. :D

I think some quotations from Wiki are needed:

Recipe
According to the rules proposed by the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana,[4] the genuine Neapolitan pizza dough consists of wheat flour (type 0 or 00, or a mixture of both), natural Neapolitan yeast or brewer's yeast, salt and water. For proper results, strong flour with high protein content (as used for bread-making rather than cakes) must be used. The dough must be kneaded by hand or with a low-speed mixer. After the rising process, the dough must be formed by hand without the help of a rolling pin or other machine, and may be no more than 3 millimeters (0.12 in) thick. The pizza must be baked for 60–90 seconds in a 485 °C (905 °F) wood fire oven.[5] When cooked, it should be soft, elastic, tender and fragrant.
Variants
There are different variants, but the original one is called Pizza Margherita, and it follows the essential rules for the ingredients, tomato, sliced mozzarella, basil and extra virgin olive oil, sometimes with a sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese on top. Other variants are: pizza marinara, which is made with tomato, garlic, oregano and extra virgin olive oil and pizza Margherita DOP made with tomato, buffalo mozzarella from Campania, basil and extra virgin olive oil. The pizza napoletana is a Traditional Speciality Guaranteed (TSG) product in Europe.[6][7] The TSG certification attests that a particular food product objectively possesses specific characteristics which differentiate it from all others in its category, and that its raw materials, composition or method of production have been consistent for a minimum of 30 years.[8]
In Argentina, a pizza a la napolitana ("Neapolitan pizza") is a pizza topped with mozzarella cheese and slices of fresh tomato, which may also be flavoured with garlic.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you're an engineer, you already know how meaningless Fahrenheits are. :D
Well I've tried converting those around me to proper units since I was about 10 years old. You just have to use the colloquial units to be understood. So I get tripped up on international forums sometimes. I do remember using slugs for calculations in some engineering classes.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to mention that "Imperial" sounds much much mightier than "metric".
Yes, but those in the USA aren't so big on British Imperial units. That is why we have our own sort of.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've a friend of a friend who has his own stone pizza oven. Always fired by oak. He spent several weeks at some institute to learn the exact proper techniques and ingredients for making Neopolitan pizza the classic way. I must say, his pizza is the best I've ever had far and away. Being the philistine I am I might nearly ask him some time, "how do think this would be if we put some thinly sliced pineapple on here?" But he is more hard core than you guys and I would definitely get banned. So I'll not risk that.

OTOH, if I get serious enough to have one of the small metal ovens with a stone, I'd try the pineapple on there at least once.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you were a true pizza and BBQ lover you would know that the best tree to bake pizza and fire a BBQ is not oak but beech. ;):D
On no, hickory is the best for BBQ. Not had pizza from beech so I'll not contest that one. But BBQ with Beech, no way......hickory.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I've a friend of a friend who has his own stone pizza oven. Always fired by oak. He spent several weeks at some institute to learn the exact proper techniques and ingredients for making Neopolitan pizza the classic way. I must say, his pizza is the best I've ever had far and away. Being the philistine I am I might nearly ask him some time, "how do think this would be if we put some thinly sliced pineapple on here?" But he is more hard core than you guys and I would definitely get banned. So I'll not risk that.

OTOH, if I get serious enough to have one of the small metal ovens with a stone, I'd try the pineapple on there at least once.

Capture.JPG

Top Bottom