• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 12.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 180 82.9%

• Total voters

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on the positive review here I decided to buy a pair. I'm very disappointed in the low end - seems to start rolling off around 150-200Hz, with very little output below 100Hz. I think the ear cups sealed pretty well to my ears based on a fair amount of noise isolation, but I'm wondering if the version I bought, "with mic", might be aimed at phone calls and intentionally filters the low end. I noticed several of the 1-star reviews on amazon that complained about no bass were also the "with mic" variety. Anyone have a pair "with mic" that actually sound good? I returned them but may consider trying the version without mic.
Forget the mic difference and get the Zero:2 version, which in a version with increased bass. And welcome to ASR. :)

danschy

Forget the mic difference and get the Zero:2 version, which in a version with increased bass. And welcome to ASR. :)
Thanks. I've been reading the forum for a couple years, just never posted. I ordered v1 based on Amir (or someone else) suggesting they are preferable if you don't equalize. Looks like v2 has minimally more bass output, but I guess if I order v2 "without mic" I cover all my bases. :)

cbracer

Forum Donor
I don't have not seen why the mic version would have different ear pieces. The 7Hz Salnotes Zero does not have any extra bass boost - which is something many listeners want. It's also the reason I don't like the Truthear Zero Blue IEMs because they have too much bass and it detracts from the rest of the range. I'm happy listening with only a slight base increase over a "true" flat speaker. I like a slight V shaped response not a heavy V which many people like. Hence the version 2 came out which has the bass boost you are probably wanting.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on the positive review here I decided to buy a pair. I'm very disappointed in the low end - seems to start rolling off around 150-200Hz, with very little output below 100Hz. I think the ear cups sealed pretty well to my ears based on a fair amount of noise isolation, but I'm wondering if the version I bought, "with mic", might be aimed at phone calls and intentionally filters the low end. I noticed several of the 1-star reviews on amazon that complained about no bass were also the "with mic" variety. Anyone have a pair "with mic" that actually sound good? I returned them but may consider trying the version without mic.
Try the alternating tones on here. The bass tone should be about the same loudness as the higher one. If not, likely you arent getting a good seal- far more likely than the IEM or cable filtering.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sounds like your Amp uses a regular TRS Stereo jack, which is by default not compatible with CTIA TRRS Headset plugs, resulting in a lack of bass as the mic is connected in series with the drivers.

You can use a CTIA Splitter or a CTIA OMTP converter to restore proper sound, if that's the case.
61j-PJJLcjS._SL1300_.jpg

Last edited:

mc.god

Sounds like your Amp uses a regular TRS Stereo jack, which is by default not compatible with CTIA TRRS Headset plugs, resulting in a lack of bass as the mic is connected in series with the drivers.

You can use a CTIA Splitter or a CTIA OMTP converter to restore proper sound, if that's the case.
View attachment 336095
He didn't specify which "mic" version he bought, since it is now sold either with usb-c mic cable or analog 3.5mm mic cable, the letter case is likely to be affected by the CTIA TRRS jack compatibility. I'm probably going to get one soon, so will be able to check

About usb-c version, I presume it having a basic dac inside, and don't know the quality of it.

danschy

Thanks for the good suggestions. Think I'll order a
He didn't specify which "mic" version he bought, since it is now sold either with usb-c mic cable or analog 3.5mm mic cable, the letter case is likely to be affected by the CTIA TRRS jack compatibility. I'm probably going to get one soon, so will be able to check

About usb-c version, I presume it having a basic dac inside, and don't know the quality of it.
I bought the 3.5mm version.

Oso Polar

I don't like the Truthear Zero Blue IEMs because they have too much bass
They don't. In particular they have less bass than version two of these zeroes. Unless you have a source with high impedance output: e.g. for me Zero Blue have way more bass if plugged into my LG Gram laptop compared to Qudelix-5K.

Sebby

I thought so. Seeing how much SQ one can get for such low price I really wonder what a highend IEM like the Sennheiser IE-800 (which was € 800 when it came on the market) can deliver. I think the point of diminishing returns is very low nowadays.
You don't need IE800. Try IE200 and you will feel the huge difference with Zero

Sebby

For better or worse?
The IE200s are much better.
I agree that cheap IEMs today have made huge strides and that you don't need to spend crazy amounts to have great sound, but in the €300 - €20 range the differences are still very evident.
The IE200 with the vent-hole MOD (IE200 has dual tuning but with a sealing flaw) and Zero Red's wide-bore EARTIPS, sound almost identical to the IE600s (which is why it's not worth spending €600 on IE600).
As far as my tastes are concerned, IE200 is one of the best IEMs I've ever had and against all my expectations. The Salnotes Zero performs exactly like a €30 IEM...
The Salnotes give THE IMPRESSION of being detailed due to its highs (for me not very coherent and not very refined), but with many tracks that I know I realized that I am literally missing some points of the track itself and it creates a single mixture without definition with slightly crowded tracks, especially if there are instruments playing together but at very different volumes.
IE800 feels the weight of the years and if I have to spend crazy amounts of money, I switch directly to IE900, but both have a tuning far from Harman (for me this is an advantage)

Grobbelboy

The Salnotes give THE IMPRESSION of being detailed due to its highs (for me not very coherent and not very refined), but with many tracks that I know I realized that I am literally missing some points of the track itself and it creates a single mixture without definition with slightly crowded tracks, especially if there are instruments playing together but at very different volumes.
What exactly does the IE200 do that makes it reproduce "true" detail instead of only giving an impression of it? What is specifically missing in many tracks ("points"?) when listening to the Salnotes? Never encountered anything like this so I'm genuinely curious for specific examples so I can compare the Salnotes with my Moondrop Variations and DCA Stealth.

Sebby

What exactly does the IE200 do that makes it reproduce "true" detail instead of only giving an impression of it? What is specifically missing in many tracks ("points"?) when listening to the Salnotes? Never encountered anything like this so I'm genuinely curious for specific examples so I can compare the Salnotes with my Moondrop Variations and DCA Stealth.
The examples are endless ranging from Vladimir Jurowski's tracks to Rock.
I can offer you a test: press on the track "Yuve Yuve Yu" by HU and listen from the beginning up to 0:40 and tell me how many instruments you hear and where they are positioned

olieb

What is specifically missing in many tracks ("points"?) when listening to the Salnotes?
The Sennheiser tuning is lower in upper midrange/presence and stronger in brilliance than the 7Hz Zeros. That is true for IE200/600/900 and so on.
So it is clearly a difference but whether it is "better", that is a matter of taste may be.
This might result in more "detail" in some way and more sibilance in another, among other things.
One measurement to show the difference.
1703243531215.png

markanini

Major Contributor
They don't. In particular they have less bass than version two of these zeroes. Unless you have a source with high impedance output: e.g. for me Zero Blue have way more bass if plugged into my LG Gram laptop compared to Qudelix-5K.
Zero Blue definitively has elevated bass to my ears, listening through Samsung dongle with 1.8Ohm output impedance.

Oso Polar

The Zero Red has more bass only below 30Hz.
Above 30Hz, the Zero Blue has more bass:
I never heard Zero Red. Zero Blue has less bass than 7Hz Zero:2 (someone here expected that they will have bass between 7Hz Zero and Zero Blue).

Oso Polar

Zero Blue definitively has elevated bass to my ears, listening through Samsung dongle with 1.8Ohm output impedance.
For me the bass level of Zero Blue is just fine (on Qudelix-5K) and bass extension is disappointing. On my laptop they are seriously bassy, I presume this is because of laptop's headphone jack impedance. If Zero Blue have too much bass to your years then I'd expect you to find that Zero:2 have even more bass - these IEMs rumble! And this is exactly how bass should be, as far as I'm concerned. :-D Then, again, we all listen at different levels - I usually don't listen too loud, may be that's why I think they don't have too much bass? I've never tried Red or these first Zero from this thread - and it sounds like I should not.

Sebby

For me the bass level of Zero Blue is just fine (on Qudelix-5K) and bass extension is disappointing. On my laptop they are seriously bassy, I presume this is because of laptop's headphone jack impedance. If Zero Blue have too much bass to your years then I'd expect you to find that Zero:2 have even more bass - these IEMs rumble! And this is exactly how bass should be, as far as I'm concerned. :-D Then, again, we all listen at different levels - I usually don't listen too loud, may be that's why I think they don't have too much bass? I've never tried Red or these first Zero from this thread - and it sounds like I should not.
Try AOSHIDA E20

Top Bottom