• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

64 Audio U12t Review (IEM)

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 33 15.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 79 37.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 36 17.1%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the 64 Audio U12t IEM. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,999.
64 Audio U12t Review high-end IEM.jpg

Typical of these IEMs, the U12t is a chunky unit. While comfort was fine, it made it challenging at first to measure. Included cord was a bit too short for my taste but I think this is typical of IEMs. And alternate set of "silver" pipes come with the unit. I did not test that and stuck with the gray one you see in the picture.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

64 Audio U12t Measurements

Let's start with our usual dashboard and special target for IEMs:
64 Audio U12t Measurements Frequency Reponse.png

I was impressed by the almost complete compliance with our target up to about 2 kHz after which we take a dip. There is also drop off post 5 kHz. These will likely cost it spatial qualities. Here is the same but relative to our target curve:

64 Audio U12t Measurements Relative Frequency Reponse high-end IEM.png

Distortion measurements showed disappointing performance especially at this price point:
64 Audio U12t Measurements Relative THD Distortion high-end IEM.png

64 Audio U12t Measurements THD Distortion high-end IEM.png

Group delay is not very revealing:

64 Audio U12t Measurements Group Delay high-end IEM.png

Impedance is low and flat:

64 Audio U12t Measurements Impedance high-end IEM.png

The kinks in zoomed display though indicate various acoustic events that would have been nice to have been ironed out.

Sensitivity is very good:
Most sensitive IEM review.png

64 Audio U12t Listening Tests
The included silicone tip fit me well but later testing with deep bass content showed very little output in that region. I tried to push them in some but could not remedy that. Response without equalization was good but it definitely improved with EQ:

64 Audio U12t Equalization EQ Filter high-end IEM.png

I toned down the filter at 8500 Hz as it made it too bright when set as measurements indicated. Without EQ, I found female vocals to sound somewhat stuffy.

I was very impressed with instrument separation causing many moments of delight. High frequency detail was very good but at times, seemed hyper exaggerated. Not sure if this is due to EQ I applied (was less so without it) or the distortion.

Conclusions
I was pleased to see such high compliance with our target curve but why not go all the way and fill that hole around 3 kHz? Maybe that would have made it sound too bright to some people. For me, it is a failing which when combined with high distortion knocked down the unit a full notch. Note that it is still a good sounding IEM without EQ which I can't say for many designs.

I am going to put the 64 Audio U12t IEM on my recommended list although personally I can't justify its cost.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• 64 Audio U12t Frequency Response.zip
    39.7 KB · Views: 151

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Preamp: -6.1 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 3360 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 3.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 5.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 8500 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 5.0

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
As long as they included a competent DAC/HPA and a comfy chair... I'd consider the cost reasonable. ;)

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great review as always :D

@amirm Would love to see its 3rd harmonic curve at 114 dB SPL since it's a BA IEM known to be terrible with 3rd harmonics as shown with @Earfonia measurements

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Great review as always :D

@amirm Would love to see its 3rd harmonic curve at 114 dB SPL since it's a BA IEM known to be terrible with 3rd harmonics as shown with @Earfonia measurements
H3 is definitely dominant up to 5 kHz:

1648959664971.png

frix

To give some context. The UT12 is among ethusiasts one of the best rated and most recommended IEMs in this hobby. I have to say this review is rather lackluster again. At least there should be more explaination what those "pipes" and their effects are.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
H3 is definitely dominant up to 5 kHz:

View attachment 197336

Thanks a lot. Even these uber-priced IEMs still have that BA 3rd harmonics. It can possibly be an indicator for the "hyper exaggerated" timbre in 2-5KHz BA IEMs in general, easily observed listening with ER4XR against ER2XR volume matched and tightly EQed to DF Curve

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So close to hitting the target, and then they go and screw it up in the high frequencies. Hmmm....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Isn't this using the outdated version of the IEM Harman Target curve?
We have discussed this to death in the past. This is the only official, published curve from Harman. The only other version came from listeninc and there is no confirmation of research being based on it.

respice finem

Major Contributor
To give some context. The UT12 is among ethusiasts one of the best rated and most recommended IEMs in this hobby. I have to say this review is rather lackluster again. At least there should be more explaination what those "pipes" and their effects are.
Maybe they're just a pipe dream :D

Merkurio

Wow, super impressed to see these reviewed, I admit I had to wipe my eyes when I read the title!

For those out of the loop of headphones (or IEMs in particular), this is one of the most subjectively appreciated "TOTL" IEM among the entire community over the years and even praised after the boom of ultra-competitive Chinese IEMs nowadays.

It seems that they are not bad after all, although it is difficult to justify the price, especially with IEMs being one of the most competitive audio sectors today (if not the most).

I hope @Amir clears his house of those huge and expensive boxes of generally overpriced and/or unrelevant products these days and we see more headphone and IEM reviews in the future, because that's where the salt and pepper of the hobby is today. :p

Thanks for a breath of fresh air, chief.

Last edited:

dc655321

Major Contributor
This review is nice to see. I had thought of seeing if @amirm had interest in measuring my custom A12t iems. Now there isn’t really any point :)

I agree they’re very nice acoustically and in no way worth $2k. I did not pay that much, fwiw.

They were the closest I could find, by ear, to “an HD650 with sub bass”.

JWAmerica

What exactly are you buying when you purchase a headphone with this amount of distortion? I've seen sub $20 IEMs that measure better.

Merkurio

What exactly are you buying when you purchase a headphone with this amount of distortion? I've seen sub $20 IEMs that measure better.

Keep in mind that we are talking about considerable amounts of distortion at 114 dB, way higher SPL levels than users should use them for extended periods of time.

However, it would be interesting to see if this is a common trait with multi-BA or hybrid designs (due to the crossover), because at $2K you expect perfection in any metric.

Top Bottom