• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KZ ZSX IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters

MacClintock

I am not an expert on acoustics, and am an electronics guy so let me put this it in a way that I understood myself - if I misrepresnt it I am sure more knowledable people can correct me.
Good to know! So my impression wasn't wrong.
An IEM is a device that has an output impedance that varies with frequency. An ear canal also has an input impedance that varies with frequency. When you couple these devices, the final FR depends on the interactions between the two variable impedance systems and is not a linear function of either. That is why the same IEM, measures same in some frequencies and different in some others in two different measurement rigs, and that is why it might procude a totall different FR in your ear canal, which has a different impedance/FR curve.
There is just a relevant point you did not take into account. I did not say that two IEMs that measure the same sound the same for EVERYBODY, but for a single person. If you combine the nonlinear output impedance e(x) with the nonlinear input impedance of a specific ear canal g(x) and the output impedance of two IEMs is identical (since it was measured) e(x) = f(x), doing a convolution with the input impedance will result in the same f(g(x)) = e(g(x).

Chyżwar

Measurements done by crinacle have no scientific basis, even if he had the largest database, he is a hobbyist, has no pertinent education and so on. They cannot be trustet neither on his 711 clone coupler nor on his new 5128. So please show me professional measurements to have a scientifically based argument.

IAtaman asked you: 'which measurements are you referring? 5128, 711, 711 'inspired' couplers you can buy on Ali Express? All of them?'

You answered: 'It doesn't matter. For sure the same IEM will measure differently at the 711 or the 5218 or on any other rig. But two IEMs that measure the same on the same rig, will sound identically for the same person, that is the claim.'

Now you inform us: 'They cannot be trustet neither on his 711 clone coupler nor on his new 5128.'

So which of your contradictory claims is true? If your claim only applies to certain measurement rigs, what methodology did you use to determine which ones? Which professional measurements confirm your claims about IEMs? Show us the test results, explain the research methodology.
Because everything you've given us so far is just your subjective talk about something you believe in. Now I would like to see the scientific basis.

MacClintock

IAtaman asked you: 'which measurements are you referring? 5128, 711, 711 'inspired' couplers you can buy on Ali Express? All of them?'

You answered: 'It doesn't matter. For sure the same IEM will measure differently at the 711 or the 5218 or on any other rig. But two IEMs that measure the same on the same rig, will sound identically for the same person, that is the claim.'

Now you inform us: 'They cannot be trustet neither on his 711 clone coupler nor on his new 5128.'

So which of your contradictory claims is true? If your claim only applies to certain measurement rigs, what methodology did you use to determine which ones? Which professional measurements confirm your claims about IEMs? Show us the test results, explain the research methodology.
Because everything you've given us so far is just your subjective talk about something you believe in. Now I would like to see the scientific basis.
There is no contradition, it can be any rig, as long as it is correctly calibrated, has the sufficient standards of quality and deviations and is used by a person competent to do so. Not all of these points are met by crinacle.

audiosciencestudent

Forum Donor

cistercian

Forum Donor
This one is a lot more sensitive.
I own a ton of KZ IEMs. I prize them primarily for their incredible sensitivity for use with crystal radio sets and also for listening to natural radio
with my home made VLF antennas. For music I much prefer my Sennheiser HD600 and HD560S. And several other Sennheiser cans.
BA transducers have a slightly (or severe depending on hearing) timbre coloration. I find them metallic and unnatural sounding.

But for raw sensitivity KZ really brings it. The AS16 is incredible and the much cheaper ZSN Pro X is also excellent. Amazing sensitivity but...
poor for music.

KZ took a hit when one of their series came with drivers that were plugged by resin. Which was lame of course. I avoided that model whose name I cant recall
now and thoroughly enjoy their other offerings for primarily scientific uses. I am listening to a storm complex off the east coast right now with a giant ferrite loopstick I built using a yamaha SC02 audio amp and a set of KZ ZS10 Pro X. Poor for music...great for tweaks and other sferics.

My loopstick is really huge. 46 and 1/16 inch long ferrite rod 1.02 inches in diameter with a coil 2.39 inches in diameter wound over it 40.5 inches long of #20 magnet wire. 2.44 lbs of it.1246 turns. An epic semi portable setup. The antenna weighs over 12 lbs!!!

Top Bottom