• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

64 Audio tia Trió IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 115 59.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 10.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 4.6%

• Total voters

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Objective, measurable values will pale in light of market demands, were talking hard money. All you can do as a consumer is decide what matters to your individual needs. I'd rather have companies like 64 Audio stay afloat than not. Their chances of doing so by catering to objectivists is a global economy is slim to none. What will be the impetus for research and innovation in the future without a thriving industry consisting of big and small players?
Hi

I beg to differ. I understand the notion of for-profit. And under that light and removing all moral and ethical considerations, we can welcome a company that makes money, thus providing to the economy... if we want to remain naïve... Stating alive by "all means"?? Make money by any means?
That notion that the company being able to provide "something" to the economy cannot become an excuse for not providing any value. That would also be a detriment to society.. What about those companies who decide to remain ethical and fair by providing products with measurably superior performance? (Dan Clark Audio, JDS Labs, etc...) . Under those excuses/pretexts, we should welcome companies providing Quantum Tunneling fuse , since they, likely, provide to the economy in some ways, jobso_O maybe? .. Thus staying afloat become the rationale for absence of performances.

This is, the raison d'etre of subjectivism in Audio: The absence of measurables keeps the engine of profits churning...The reality is that we are not living, perhaps cannot live without morals or ethics.

It is wrong.

Peace

markanini

Major Contributor
Hi

I beg to differ. I understand the notion of for-profit. And under that light and removing all moral and ethical considerations, we can welcome a company that makes money, thus providing to the economy... if we want to remain naïve... Stating alive by "all means"?? Make money by any means?
That notion that the company being able to provide "something" to the economy cannot become an excuse for not providing any value. That would also be a detriment to society.. What about those companies who decide to remain ethical and fair by providing products with measurably superior performance? (Dan Clark Audio, JDS Labs, etc...) . Under those excuses/pretexts, we should welcome companies providing Quantum Tunneling fuse , since they, likely, provide to the economy in some ways, jobso_O maybe? .. Thus staying afloat become the rationale for absence of performances.

This is, the raison d'etre of subjectivism in Audio: The absence of measurables keeps the engine of profits churning...The reality is that we are not living, perhaps cannot live without morals or ethics.

It is wrong.

Peace
I see you missed my point in order to insert a moralistic strawman. Oh well.

EDIT: I'm actually shocked by the implication that you want to excuse the consumer for making an uninformed $2400 purchase, that's fueling the machine more than all the things combined.

Last edited:

Leiker535

For minimum phase devices, what IEMs arguably are
There's an argument to be made here. Some iems, like the u12t and the thieaudio monarch mk2 have inverted phases and are not minimum phase. I myself wonder if that contributes to the "technical" aspect people relate them to, aside from the price and "multi ba" bias.

If you take the planar iems craze of recent for example, you'll see that they have very jagged response from the mids to the highs, most likely due to distortion and resonances. I had one of those, the S12, and remember it having a "grungy" response on mid focused instruments like guitars no matter what I EQed them to. Inversely, EQing my other iems to it didn't emulate the effect at all.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
-Campfire Andromeda (100% going to be high in distortion just from hearing them, but they do have the most "holographic" imaging as the audio memers say)

No. Not at least at 100 dB SPL measurement which is plenty loud for me. Then again it will have huge distortion like the rest of BA IEMs at 114 dB SPL due to being inherently BA
I like mine since no IEM except for Oriolus Traillii can match its holographic meme imaging

1677428855123.png

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of people say an IEM this expensive should perform better, and I don't think anyone disagrees with that, including myself. But I think it is also important to remember that price tag is part of the product's unique selling proposition as well - 64Audio is supposed to be the expensive and exclusive IEM brand. A cheap Rolls Royce anyone can buy is not a Rolls Royce anymore.
Except something like an IEM is not a Veblen good. Wearing these will in no way signal higher status to almost anyone who does not avidly track IEM ratings. (Not exactly the "It' crowd, btw).

And there is nothing I can see in the materials that would distinguish these units from, say, the Truthears. They just don't look expensive--no custom artistic paint job, no special materials, no custom inserts, nothing visible. Anyone wanting to accessorize with something expensive should be looking at a Hermes Wallet, or a Rolex, or an expensive pair of kicks instead b/c nobody can tell cheap from expensive IEMs including most audiophiles.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And yet, the TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM - which is the darling of ASR at the moment - was tuned by him. If you think he spouts BS, that just reflects a lack of your familiarity with his content.

This is BS:

"There is a problem in having too little decay; it’s not really representing what you’d probably hear in real life or with a good pair of speakers. Yes, the notes are very well defined but they will sound unnatural. Examples of stuff with short decay are drivers like BAs and electrostats, which have been generally described as having this “ethereal” presence which I would personally attribute to them having way too little linger beyond the initial note. You find yourself wondering if the note was even struck at all because of how fast it disappeared."

Keith_W

Major Contributor
BTW Amir, if you review any future IEM's I would appreciate it if you could also share some thoughts on the cable because I find people rarely do this. Cables need to have the following features:

- detachable. The most common point of failure in an IEM are the solder joints at either end. Any IEM with a non-detachable cable is a no-go for me. Also, detachable cables means you can use your own (e.g. with right angle audio jacks, or balanced connectors) if you are not happy with the one supplied.
- does it have memory wire, and is it comfortable?
- is it non-microphonic?
- does it have a propensity to get tangled?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Except something like an IEM is not a Veblen good. Wearing these will in no way signal higher status to almost anyone who does not avidly track IEM ratings. (Not exactly the "It' crowd, btw).

And there is nothing I can see in the materials that would distinguish these units from, say, the Truthears. They just don't look expensive--no custom artistic paint job, no special materials, no custom inserts, nothing visible. Anyone wanting to accessorize with something expensive should be looking at a Hermes Wallet, or a Rolex, or an expensive pair of kicks instead b/c nobody can tell cheap from expensive IEMs including most audiophiles.

On the contrary, you'll see more people at airplanes and airports and even trains glancing at you if you are wearing Beats or Bose or Apple IEM products than any other IEM audio products will ever do.

Blorg

BTW Amir, if you review any future IEM's I would appreciate it if you could also share some thoughts on the cable because I find people rarely do this. Cables need to have the following features:

- detachable. The most common point of failure in an IEM are the solder joints at either end. Any IEM with a non-detachable cable is a no-go for me. Also, detachable cables means you can use your own (e.g. with right angle audio jacks, or balanced connectors) if you are not happy with the one supplied.
- does it have memory wire, and is it comfortable?
- is it non-microphonic?
- does it have a propensity to get tangled?
The cable is pretty bad, it's thin and nasty and from reports not very durable either. Standard flush 2 pin so easy to replace with a cable of your choice though.

It's not really worth a review. It's just bad.

I think part of what 64 Audio is going for with the very thin cable is stage performers, they tend to want a very thin cable that is minimally visible. 64 Audio is a brand that largely markets and sells to stage performers, Precogvision did a run down of relative popularity of IEMs in K-Pop and 64 Audio was particularly popular. Unlike many other brands that focus on stage use, 64 Audio also tend to tune their IEMs well, many of the other brands that are particularly popular with artists have what would generally be considered extremely poor tuning. Possibly, the focus on stage is more isolation and being able to hear certain details than a balanced presentation. But 64 Audio with much of their stuff, they actually tune it pretty well.

Cable though is just plain bad, I replaced it immediately with a much nicer $5 cable from Xinhs.

GaryH

Major Contributor
And yet, the TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM - which is the darling of ASR at the moment - was tuned by him. If you think he spouts BS, that just reflects a lack of your familiarity with his content.

No idea how you think any of that proves he doesn't spout BS about headphones/IEMs. The Truthear Zero was 'tuned' by him effectively in as much as he told the actual engineers to match the Harman target (which they attempted but ultimately fell short in key areas). And even in that video you posted, he perpetuates the BS audiophile myth that headphone price significantly correlates with sound quality with this line towards the end:
The subjective upgrades that you get from purchasing a $2000 amplifier is nowhere close to just buying a $2000 headphone or $2000 IEM.

Last edited:

julian_hughes

The real problem with BA drivers is that they’re highly vulnerable to shock damage. Most of the development done at Knowles has been around ways to mitigate this through measures like ferrofluid damping. But this can only go partway to solving the problem. The net result is that a BA driver fresh off the production line may test fine, but results will be very different when testing one that’s been used and knocked around a bit.
And they tend to fail within three to five years. *Every* BA IEM I ever owned has failed (Ultimate Ears, Shure, Massdrop, Nuforce, Kinera and some I forget), while I have some dynamics over a decade old. BA's are the staple of the hearing aid industry and hearing aid manufacturers expect the users to renew every 5 years or even more often.

markanini

Major Contributor
No idea how you think any of that proves he doesn't spout BS about headphones/IEMs. The Truthear Zero was 'tuned' by him effectively in as much as he told the actual engineers to match the Harman target (which they attempted but ultimately fell short in key areas). And even in that video you posted, he perpetuates the BS audiophile myth that headphone price significantly correlates with sound quality with this line towards the end:

That's why no amp bears his name. :) Crinacle throws a bone to objectivists occasionally, when it doesn't hurt his brand or his relationships with retailers and brands. That's what a skilled persuader would do, that's how I sum up Crinacle. Generally what he passes off as knowledge is interesting, but lacks verification.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

A valid point well made. I beg to differ. Their obscurity makes them even better signal of higher status, symbol of a man of higher perception and taste. Every idiot with a $30K in their pocket can buy a Rolex. But only a man of higher taste spends $3K for a product that comes free with the phone. You just need to find a good way of working that in to your insta post. If you think obscure audio products are not purchased as statue symbols, symbols of devotion to a taste, how do you explain $2000 audio cables then?

Moderate Dionysianism

On the contrary, you'll see more people at airplanes and airports and even trains glancing at you if you are wearing Beats or Bose or Apple IEM products than any other IEM audio products will ever do.

Well, I for one wasn't aware of the Hermes brand until reading about it in this thread just now. I would also never tell that the sports jacket Pu*in wore at one of his rallies last year is worth thousands. Goods as status symbols aren't about flashing logos at the general public, but rather about winking discreetly towards the group you aspire to.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I have tried quite a few IEMs. In my case, they all hurt to wear. Tried a whole bunch of tips - included tips, aftermarket tips, custom molded tips. They all hurt, I'm not sure why. I'll stick with on-ear or over-the-ear headphones.

Our daughter, while not an audiologist or doctor, has an honors BS in speech, language and hearing science. She learned to examine ear canals before a summer program to evaluate hearing in rural India, and said that there is such a huge difference in size and shape that it's no wonder that many find all IEMs to be uncomfortable when others find that a variety will fit quite nicely. She tool one look at Etymotic triple flanges and said that nope, no way, would either she or I be able to tolerate them, even if we managed to get them seated, due to a kink in our canals. She is decidedly against IEMs from a hearing health standpoint and only uses over-ears at relatively low volume.

Side note: I finally gave in and got a pair of TxCZs that were delivered this morning. The largest silicone tip fit me surprisingly well, as did the shells. Most IEMs with large shells tend to fall out of my ear, even if I use foam tips. I must admit they sound as good as any IEM I have owned, which included Ety ER4Ps and several other BA and dynamics that cost quite a bit more.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, when one buys a $2000 IEM, they are trying to impress the people on the train.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, when one buys a $2000 IEM, they are trying to impress the people on the train.

I'm also sure they have a C4 explosive looking setup that goes along with it haha

vd0itmzfpxb31.jpg

Top Bottom