• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

250 Greatest Guitarists List from Rolling Stone Is Perfect!

DanielT

Major Contributor
In fact, it was exactly my thoughts, as Robert also has in the video below, that is, the Rolling Stones must have deliberately not included some obvious guitarists plus changed the raking order with the intention of creating clique bait.

Or, it could be that that hypothesis is not true. What do you think?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like they are ranking people on skill but also level of influence / cultural importance, which is a "great" fudge factor because it's even more a matter of opinion than pure skill.

I would say putting Keith Richards right above Robert Johnson is exactly the kind of clickbait BS shenanigans you'd expect if you thought they were going for clicks above all.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Did you check out Robert's video in the first post? Exactly the point Robert is making. In that case, it won't be better than Rick Beato.;)

Apart from that is of course Rick Beato, IF you consider the list as serious, made with non-clique baiting intentions (which I think it was created for), absolutely right.:)

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Spoiler: Francesco Corbetta is No 1.
1699470487741.png

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Spoiler: Francesco Corbetta is No 1.
View attachment 324786
If he's even on the list. I suspect no guitarists who play classical music are even included. Those guitar players are nothing that the larger, wider audience cares about. No matter how good they are. They are thus excluded from the list.

Plus it's only those who interpret his guitar playing/compositions, thus excluded.

MCH

Major Contributor
Got cautiously excited when I read "flamenco, bossa nova..." in the intro, so decided to scroll fast, but no surprises, unless I missed something, the first non British non North American is Django Reinhardt in entry 60something...

ah, and flamenco? I don't fancy scrolling again, but don't recall seeing one single one

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't care about "ranking", plus I'm not qualified. There are some guitarists that I enjoy more than others. I suppose I could make a "favorites" list, but I probably couldn't name 200 guitar players. I'm not a fan if Jimi Hendrix but he was skilled and creative and he created his own style and he had a great influence. (I'd probably like his music more with a different singer.)

IMO you don't need a "great" guitarist and the music isn't better just because it's "hard to play". It simply has to sound good.

There are lots of good guitarists who can mimic just about any other guitar player. A lot of guitarists have learned all of the Hendrix and Van Halen riffs...

I would give credit to guitarists who have created their own style and I'd put them on the "great list" even if they aren't technically not as good. I have a BB King concert video (or two) and he says something like, "Some of you know that I can't sing and play guitar at the same time". I assume that contributed to his call-and-answer style and he sounds good (the most important thing), and he was a big influence so to me, that technical limitation doesn't take-away from his "greatness."

I heard a story about Jimi Hendrix told by a musician who gave-up guitar and switched to bass after seeing & hearing Hendrix! He also said Hendrix always had the guitar with him and he even took it into the restroom. ...But that might have been to keep an eye on it.

I also heard a story about Eric Clapton picking-up someone else's guitar (and amp, etc.) and the guy was amazed at how good his setup sounded with Clapton playing it!

...I wouldn't put classical guitarists on the same list as electric guitar players. IMO - They are essentially different instruments.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got cautiously excited when I read "flamenco, bossa nova..." in the intro, so decided to scroll fast, but no surprises, unless I missed something, the first non British non North American is Django Reinhardt in entry 60something...

ah, and flamenco? I don't fancy scrolling again, but don't recall seeing one single one
They had Rosinha de Valença...but not Baden Powell. Did they have Jobim or Gilberto? I don't think I've heard her, I'll check her out.

I like this list, I mean, it's a good way to learn about guitarists who make good music.

One question I have - what is the influence of Chet Atkins? Lots of people think he's the greatest American Guitarist, certainly in Country circles, but I don't hear his influence today the way you hear other people.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course it's click bait, like all these lists, including Rick B's. And it works.

nerdemoji

Such lists exist only to make people mad and get clicks. Opinions are expressed, debates start and now you got more people looking at the list and more ad revenue.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Of course it's click bait, like all these lists, including Rick B's. And it works.
Well, we’re all waiting! Did you “Click” the Bait? We just got to know now.;)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I clicked the thread, but when thought about watching a video of 250 guitar players, well not so fast there partner. Post the list.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
They had Rosinha de Valença...but not Baden Powell. Did they have Jobim or Gilberto? I don't think I've heard her, I'll check her out.

I like this list, I mean, it's a good way to learn about guitarists who make good music.
The best thing about lists of all kinds is to get tips about artists, musicians and so on that you either haven't heard of or that you haven't listened to in a long time.:)

Reactions: MCH

goat76

Major Contributor

I clicked the Bait and realized that none of my personal top guitar "heroes" was on the list. I guess such a list will look different for every one of us. :)

Top Bottom