• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2020 Corvette Convertible $66,400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The pic I posted does not have the actual tonearm and assembly that my turntable came with.
It had this tonearm>
blue_hydraulic1.jpg

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How fast are you allowed to drive in your country?:p
Last I heard there were a few roads out west in Montana or some/such that were without any limits, otherwise the best you'll find is about 70mph. But I know where your going, just remember this, if you don't get caught it's never too fast. ;)
One can find ways to make do. I say this as someone with a Miata that has 5 cubic feet of luggage space vs 15 in the C7. Traveling in the Miata means you travel light or don't go at all.
As a lifelong high performance motorcycle rider, if you can't find room for it, you'll do without it.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The pic I posted does not have the actual tonearm and assembly that my turntable came with.
It had this tonearm>
blue_hydraulic1.jpg
Did your wife get mad and bent the tonearm?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BS, you're either pussy whipped or know nothing about the new C8, have you seen / sat in one yet ? I have, plenty of space for a nice trip. Can you name one other sports car that competes with more room ? if your wife / girlfriend needs more luggage space than leave her at home !

Pussy whipped? What kind of a thing is that to say?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did your wife get mad and bent the tonearm?
That tonearm does look kinda goofy in that it is so slender and bent but there is a reason why. Worst of all the entire arm assembly sits on top of a single cone point and so balancing and keeping it balanced is difficult and there are threads connecting mechanisms and weights that are in motion when it is operating. All of it has to be in tune otherwise the entire arm assy is twisted and it causes it to not sit proper on the single cone point. I passed on that turntable as a daily driver.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last I heard there were a few roads out west in Montana or some/such that were without any limits, otherwise the best you'll find is about 70mph. But I know where your going, just remember this, if you don't get caught it's never too fast. ;)

As a lifelong high performance motorcycle rider, if you can't find room for it, you'll do without it.

75 mph is typical in Texas. 80 on some West Texas roads in the middle of nowhere. 85 mph on one toll road between Austin and Waco. The wrinkle is 95 mph is a misdemeanor, like DUI.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
75 mph is typical in Texas. 80 on some West Texas roads in the middle of nowhere. 85 mph on one toll road between Austin and Waco. The wrinkle is 95 mph is a misdemeanor, like DUI.
You could always run something at the Texas Mile event in Victoria, Texas.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Are the motors in these things still basically 1955 pushrod designs? Or have they finally updated to overhead cams - like the 4.6l DOHC Cobra?:)

gikigill

@Sal1950 that price is for a base car which lacks a lot of stuff most cars at that price level have. Most notably, memory seats. I was seriously interested in the coupe, but was put off by very limited luggage space. There isn't enough for 2 people to take a road trip if one is a typical woman.

In a similar boat here. 2 people plus luggage so the Vette is out and I,m heading for the E Class Coupe E450. All bells and whistles including massaging and heated/cooling seats plus better rims and a custom interior and its just under the price of the loaded Corvette. Could save 5-8k if i went with a normal interior.

0-100 in 5 seconds so plenty fast to kill myself and can get an AMG spec for 10K more which does 0-100 in 4.3 seconds.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the motors in these things still basically 1955 pushrod designs? Or have they finally updated to overhead cams - like the 4.6l DOHC Cobra?:)

The cam-in-block design keeps cost, weight, and engine dimensions smaller. Living at high elevations as I do, I just wish it had variable vane turbos. Of course, a more modern turbo V8 with an DOHC architecture, like say that AMG thing in the MB C63S (one of my favorites), would probably make a $60K base price a non-starter, and both engines are rated at about the same power level. (500hp, +/- 5hp)

My bigger problem with the C8 is psychological. I remember when I was about thirty years old thinking how dumb it looked when old men like I am now would get out of super sports cars. Even then I knew it was mostly old men who could afford such cars, but I can't get the image or the memory out of my mind. I'm not saying we all have to drive a Lexus, but the C8 is a bit over the top.

gikigill

BS, you're either pussy whipped or know nothing about the new C8, have you seen / sat in one yet ? I have, plenty of space for a nice trip. Can you name one other sports car that competes with more room ? if your wife / girlfriend needs more luggage space than leave her at home !

Nissan GT-R. Roomier than the Corvette and will keep up on a track but not my choice.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom