• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

PuX

I've noticed, that diode on Modius didn't turn off even when PC is off (only usb connection for now). Is it normal if device will be turned on forever, or need to plug out from PC ?
it will stay powered if the USB port is powered, which might be the case even if the PC is off.
or maybe you have the DAC plugged in a power adapter? it should work with just the USB to PC.

Paul_d

it will stay powered if the USB port is powered, which might be the case even if the PC is off.
Do you think, my PC not completely shot down even if I properly turn off it from the Windows ? hm... its interesting... I've didn't notice it before...
External power dont use for now, only usb.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Do you think, my PC not completely shot down even if I properly turn off it from the Windows ? hm... its interesting... I've didn't notice it before...
How else would Cortana spy on you?

DeepSpaceus

Many PCs and laptops have one or more USB ports that are powered when the computer is shutdown. This is a feature that has been around for at least 15 years. It is meant to be used as a charger for your phone while the computer is off. Try a different port. Usually only one port is powered while the laptop is off. Or just leave it on. It will not hurt it. In fact, many people leave their audio equipment on all time (except for tube stuff) because they believe there is less wear and tear on joints and other electronic parts from the repeated cooling and heating (metals expand and contract with heating and cooling). Personally I don't do it, but it will not hurt anything if you do leave it on.

Paul_d

Many PCs and laptops have one or more USB ports that are powered when the computer is shutdown. This is a feature that has been around for at least 15 years. It is meant to be used as a charger for your phone while the computer is off. Try a different port. Usually only one port is powered while the laptop is off. Or just leave it on. It will not hurt it. In fact, many people leave their audio equipment on all time (except for tube stuff) because they believe there is less wear and tear on joints and other electronic parts from the repeated cooling and heating (metals expand and contract with heating and cooling). Personally I don't do it, but it will not hurt anything if you do leave it on.
ok, thanks.

Should I change USB (micro) cable for Modius or this one that was in the box is good enough for signal ?

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ok, thanks.

Should I change USB (micro) cable for Modius or this one that was in the box is good enough for signal ?
You hear music.. then it's good enough.

Phoney

Hello! I'm new on this forum. I have read a lot about the Multibit dacs here lately. I am currently sitting on a Gumby MB to complement my Jotunheim 2 and the Hifiman Arya. I am considering to sell my Gumby, and I was thinking about getting a cheaper dac, as it seems like it will not really change the listening experience much for me? I am interested in a balanced DAC to go with the Jotunheim, so I thought that Modius would probably be a good option. I cannot really test the Modius from where I live. Some people would say that the Multibit DACs provide more slam, which my Aryas are lacking. Could that be true, or is that just bias? I'm quite happy with my current sound, I just thought that maybe I could be atleast just as happy with my sound with the Modius and save me some money that way. Or maybe another "cheap" DAC, suggestions are welcomed. Also worth to mention that this is supposed to be my exact setup for quite a while, just need to sort out this one issue.

Last edited:

Phoney

Did anyone test the Gumby MB specifically in here? I know that the other multibits didn't really get good results in here, I am just curious if there's any possibility that the Gumby is better than the others. I would assume that it's probably not worth the price tag regardless.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did anyone test the Gumby MB specifically in here? I know that the other multibits didn't really get good results in here, I am just curious if there's any possibility that the Gumby is better than the others. I would assume that it's probably not worth the price tag regardless.
Handily, Schiit measure on an AP analyser too. See link to results at bottom of spec page.

Hint, look elsewhere if you are looking for minimal grass on the charts https://www.schiit.com/products/gungnir

What you're left with is Schiit speak as to why measurements either don't matter or possibly don't tell the whole story.

Phoney

Thank you! Last question, I see that it's recommended to still use the normal power supply for Modius instead of just the USB from the computer. I assume that the Modius will get the power from the power supply even when it's also plugged into the PC from the USB? What will happen if I use both USB ports simultaneously?

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I was about to buy a Modius when I realized the USB out of my Devialet Expert, which works fine to a Mac for making rips, might not work right with the Modius.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thank you! Last question, I see that it's recommended to still use the normal power supply for Modius instead of just the USB from the computer. I assume that the Modius will get the power from the power supply even when it's also plugged into the PC from the USB? What will happen if I use both USB ports simultaneously?

Modius arrived today.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
This weekend I'm going to see what happens it I try to hook up the USB-out of the Devialet into the Modius.

Yes, I know, the Devialet already has a DAC inside so it's kind of stupid to bypass that.

PuX

Yes, I know, the Devialet already has a DAC inside so it's kind of stupid to bypass that.
it might be not that stupid considering some of the Devialet stuff measured horribly.

so unless they fold down the digital signal to 16 bit or something there may be an advantage to using an external DAC.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Looking at the ASIO4All WEB, it says a fix in version 2.15 beta is a fix for the truncating to 16 bit issue.
I am having a hard time between upgrading to a Modius or a Bifrost. I looked at the measurements I made for my old "warmer" Muse Fuse. .04% second harmonic distortion. I am beginning to blame some of my issues on my Asgard AKM DAC.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the ASIO4All WEB, it says a fix in version 2.15 beta is a fix for the truncating to 16 bit issue.
I am having a hard time between upgrading to a Modius or a Bifrost. I looked at the measurements I made for my old "warmer" Muse Fuse. .04% second harmonic distortion. I am beginning to blame some of my issues on my Asgard AKM DAC.
I blame most of my issues on excessive alcohol consumption, but each to his own.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I blame most of my issues on excessive alcohol consumption, but each to his own.
I find less of better to be my preference. Highland Gaelic Ale, or Anchor Porter. Maybe a Heff to cool off after yard work.
Watched a lot of comments and this leads me to think the ESS upgrade for my Asgard is not the best option. So I will make a second RCA input card for it and run one of the two mentioned DACs, or looking into the Airist as the Denifritz doubled in price. Just heard of the Audio GD R2R DAC.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hooked up the Modius today using a Raspberry Pi 2 and Ropiee. XLR analog connection into the Luxman L-590AXII used.

First configuration was using a Digi+ Pro HAT and Coax.

Final configuration was turning off the HAT and just using USB out, which required reconfiguring Ropiee and re-doing the Roon set up.

Ropiee is set to fixed output, with max volume setting fixed at 100% at startup. Not sure if that's optimal or not. Roon reports it as "Schiit Unison Modius"

Good news:

RAAT working. I can group zones with the RME ADI-2 Pro running on my Mac DAW.

Meh news:

The "half decoding" of MQA tracks seems to have disappeared. Mousing over the little colored signal chain dots in Roon just reports Tidal MQA tracks as FLAC now.

Sound:

Sounds like competent digital. Nothing to particularly draw my attention, positive or negative. If I'm fantasizing, I might convince myself that it had a little less dynamic oomph than the best I've heard, but that's possibly just BS.

No complaints for 2 benjamins.

Accessories used:

Streamer HW: Raspberry Pi 2

Streamer OS: Ropiee Regular (not XL), 2021/11/05 release

Disk: SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC

USB: Cheap ass $7 "Spater" brand USB A to Micro USB cable

XLR: 25' Seismic Audio, 1 black, 1 red.

Ethernet cable: Something lying around the house

Last edited:
Top Bottom