• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 283 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 175 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

ampguy

46 different speakers under $375 each.

the standouts imo would be the JBL 308P MKII & Adam T8V as they are both 8" woofer models!

I own several on that list, but not the 2 you mention. I don’t doubt those 2 measure great, but even on stands I don’t think they would be as room filling, or go as low as the mini lores, I could be wrong though. Now on that list, if I didn’t already own the m lores for the room and use case they are in, I might try the Jbl 590s or 580s on their Black Friday sales, but that’s still a couple or few hundred more than what I paid for the m lores.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
the link if someone wants to read the comments. surprisingly more people are calling out their unnecessary aggressive behavior. but many are still babbling none senses.

you're proud of your work does not mean you can't make mistake, nor can't be better. I would never buy from a brand which can't take constructive criticism, let alone threat the ones giving it to them

Having read through that entire thread, it's pretty obvious his core customer base are subjectivists, and in some case very extreme ones at that. Thus, it's beyond weird that he responded so hostilely to a non-negative objectivist review. Imo it looks like most of his clients and potential clients don't care and will never care about measurements!

Digital_Thor

Or... Just seal the back... Not that hard

DSC_6624.JPG

DSC_6625.JPG

Exactly. In 25mm MDF, typical flanged threaded inserts used for loudspeaker feet/spikes will only go halfway in and still be flush.

View attachment 363383

DLS79

Forum Donor
I don’t doubt those 2 measure great, but even on stands I don’t think they would be as room filling, or go as low as the mini lores, I could be wrong though.

One of the many benefits of the measurements performed by @amirm and Erin is that we can compare speakers fairly easily.

for example : You can see they go just as low and have just as much output. The M-Lore starts rolling off at 80 Hz, while the 308Ps & T8Vs are flat to 50 Hz. Something else worth noting is that the 308Ps & T8Vs are active speakers so they don't need an amp. The 308Ps, only accepts balanced input, while T8Vs will accept balanced and unbalanced input.

1.png

2.png

3.png

ampguy

One of the many benefits of the measurements performed by @amirm and Erin is that we can compare speakers fairly easily.

for example : You can see they go just as low and have just as much output. The M-Lore starts rolling off at 80 Hz, while the 308Ps & T8Vs are flat to 50 Hz. Something else worth noting is that the 308Ps & T8Vs are active speakers so they don't need an amp. The 308Ps, only accepts balanced input, while T8Vs will accept balanced and unbalanced input.

View attachment 363503
View attachment 363504

View attachment 363505
Look up anechoic vs in room response, or better yet listen to equal measuring anechoic speakers in a room setting, and tell me if you can hear, and feel a difference. Note the cabinet sizes, and if either are ported designs. The m lore is ported at the bottom front, fyi

Ze Frog

Look up anechoic vs in room response, or better yet listen to equal measuring anechoic speakers in a room setting, and tell me if you can hear, and feel a difference. Note the cabinet sizes, and if either are ported designs. The m lore is ported at the bottom front, fyi
The Klippel can predict in room response extremely accurately above 500Hz, there really is no debate regarding how they measure in room that's meaningful unless you have an extremely reactive room in some way which would be very rare to massively effect the predicted. If it sounds good, and I have heard speakers that don't measure flat that I've really enjoyed myself, then that's great. The irony is though it's not even the measurements that's the problem, this thread would have been maybe 10-15 pages of completely reasonable interaction. It's the designer's actions that have done the damage, nothing else.

DLS79

Forum Donor
Look up anechoic vs in room response, or better yet listen to equal measuring anechoic speakers in a room setting, and tell me if you can hear, and feel a difference.

I'm well aware of the differences between an anechoic chamber, and an active room, as is most ASR members.

Note the cabinet sizes, and if either are ported designs. The m lore is ported at the bottom front, fyi

front ported doesn't necessarily mean better, the only reason why Adam A4v's aren't sitting on mt desk right now is because they are front ported and have imo a pretty bad port resonance at 1KHz.
Adam Audio A4V Studio Monitor Active Speaker Frequency Response  Audio Measurements.png

On many many occasions I've experienced extremely powerful sound systems (while wearing protection), by that I mean the ones that make it feel like you just got punched in chest from 10 feet way. I've also been in close proximity to top fuel dragsters, and jet powered vehicles, but that's not something I want in my home.

I'd much rather have clinically precise speakers that I can tune to the room and my preferences.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The Klippel can predict in room response extremely accurately above 500Hz
I disagree and I think we have enough examples of the opposite. It's more a rough prediction but quite accurate at parts of the response above a certain frequency range.

I certainly wouldn't call the estimated graph vs the actual in-room response above 500 Hz below extremely accurate.

Kii THREE In-Room Measurements vs Estimated In-Room Response.png

There are also speakers that would measure poorly with the Klippel but end up measuring very evenly in the room.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Nobody is saying anything about what they sound like, just that the estimated in-room response of both the JBL and ADAM loudspeaker is superior.

ampguy

On my desk right now, I have some full range Fostex 4" drivers in a Kanspea DIY front ported box. The speakers measure well over 150 Hz or so. I just ran test tones, and 125Hz is clearly audible, maybe down 6db, but the air through the port is very powerful, would blow out a candle a foot away. (Amp is Fosi V3). Now above 500Hz, these are surely rated for the SPL's If there is interest, I will be happy to send these to Amir for testing. Also will take some pics if anyone is interested. I did the Fostex driver (FF105WK) upgrade, but didn't get an amp from Madisound. The Audio I use is Roon streaming, a headphone amp, and computer audio from a Scarlett interface, I have a Schiit switcher to go between Roon and Computer audio. No sub, there's another system 10 feet across the room with LS-50s, and a REL sub, also Roon connected. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...0e-diy-kanspea-4-full-range-speaker-kit-pair/

MAB

Major Contributor
Look up anechoic vs in room response,
You mean like this?
1713029487198.png

1713029612882.png

or better yet listen to equal measuring anechoic speakers in a room setting, and tell me if you can hear, and feel a difference.
No, not really a good approach. You should be looking these things up!

Note the cabinet sizes, and if either are ported designs. The m lore is ported at the bottom front, fyi
No idea what you mean. You know you can look this up don't you?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I disagree and I think we have enough examples of the opposite. It's more a rough prediction but quite accurate at parts of the response above a certain frequency range.

I certainly wouldn't call the estimated graph vs the actual in-room response above 500 Hz below extremely accurate.

View attachment 363523

There are also speakers that would measure poorly with the Klippel but end up measuring very evenly in the room.
I do think its an accurate prediction. Above 900 hz its a perfect match for the toed out data through the frequency range that is responsible for most of the tonality. Erin clearly has some kind of absorption in his listening room based of it going down after 10kHz.

Your second point about badly measuring speakers measuring evenly in room can indeed be true. You might just have the perfect room to compensate for all the irregularities in the response. But lets be real here, if you have a speaker that measures well in an anechoic environment (flat response and smooth directivity) it will most likely sound better in more rooms than a badly measuring speaker. I don't know if its good advise to tell people to just gamble and pray that a speaker that measured poorly on the Klippel will gets exactly the right corrections when your put them in a room. Your would basically suggest to make your room shit in such a specific way that it corrects flaws in your speakers, instead of just buying a speaker that most likely will sound great from the start and can easily be corrected with EQ.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Well, there's no such thing as "equal measuring" speakers that aren't the same model. If they're not different in frequency response, they're different in directivity, and those will have the primary effect on sound you hear given you're listening at a level that isn't straining one of the speakers.

Also, the predicted in room response in the spinorama is a reliable indicator of spatially averaged in-room measurements. That's exactly what it was designed for, although as noted below it needs to be correlated with specific measurements.

On the matter of the Mini Lore's, I don't doubt that for some people the output over smaller bookshelf speakers is worth it for the price. I don't think the measurements are that incredibly bad that someone couldn't enjoy them.

View attachment 363523

I disagree about having seen enough examples otherwise.

I think the problem is that no one actually measures in room response the way the PIR was designed to replicate. If I remember correctly, that's specifically that's an in-room spatial average of 7 measurements over a ±15 window at a 10 foot listening distance.

Even when people are doing special averages, I get the impression it's usually not quite that wide, nor done under the test conditions the PIR was looking to replicate. In my own testing, measurements align much more closely with the PIR when done under these conditions. I believe it's also noted in one of the original papers that there is disagreement above ~10khz because that area is influenced by the direct sound more.

Of course we can then argue about what the value of the PIR is if it's designed to match such a specific measurement. I think it's really mostly to get an overall sense of the contributions of the direct sound and off axis sound to tonality, which in practice I think is how most people use it; I don't know if anybody really cares if it matches their in room measurements.

I'm curious as to which designs you think would perform poorly on the Klippel but would be good in room? In wall speakers pose an obvious challenge, but there's still information to glean.

Last edited:
Top Bottom