• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 283 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 175 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

melomane13

I'd love to see one of you [this is an invitation] actually construct a healthy dialog that leads to a productive outcome. Again, here's my side of things...

Amir Majidimehr of Audio Science Review published flawed measurements placing my work and abilities in a false light.

The FACTS are Amir Majidimehr refuses to suspend or modify his unsolicited review of my work as of April 10th, 2024. Amir measured our loudspeaker from the wrong angle and he published a flawed frequency response and step response. The correct listening axis for this loudspeaker is directly on-axis [an entirely different angle] with the 8” woofer. The result is a much better frequency response than Amir is publicly conveying and an ideal step response; a step response that reflects the speaker is ‘time-aligned’. Amir's impedance measurement is also flawed and reflects the supplied feet were not used and with no provisions to plug four 1/4 - 20 threaded inserts resulting in him publishing a flawed impedance measurement, flawed distortion measurements, flawed cumulative spectral decay, and lowered bass output in the frequency response measurements due to internal cabinet pressure losses.

Amir’s picture of the Mini Lore reflects the speaker in the air (6 inches off the ground) with no feet being used to maintain proper internal cabinet pressure. His picture also reflects a sun bleached woofer calling into question just how old this speaker might be. The Mini Lore has been in production for 15 years and the speaker he’s using looks visually compromised.

Amir Majidimehr's fumbled measurements caused him to draw conclusions that produced false narratives regarding our loudspeakers performance and my work.

The Mini Lore has a solid cabinet containing internal bracing within; when you see a resonance that big at 180Hz there’s only one logical explanation… there must be a hole or a hidden cavity in the cabinet. Amir failed to discern this. Amir failed to plug the threaded inserts in the bottom of the cabinet and the result cast a negative light on the speaker. Why do we use threaded inserts with a hole through the cabinet? To make it more versatile for isolation feet and outriggers and to allow for the speaker to be perfectly leveled.

In my opinion, Amir Majidimehr should have been more amiable to suspending or modifying his review when I informed him weeks back there were problems.

I feel blindsided by Amir Majidimehr. I believe he owes me a personal and a public apology. I believe Amir Majidimehr should be doing everything in his power to rectify this problem.

Respectfully,
Eric Alexander
Audio Designer
President
Tekton Design, LLC
It's an old design, tweeter without waveguide and a relatively large woofer.
Anyone with a minimum of electroacustic culture will be able to predict, without measurements, that the loudspeaker will necessarily have poor directivity and power response.
There are enough scientific studies to be able to predict that the loudspeaker will sound colorful, since it will be impossible to balance the response in axis and power. Any expert will be able to corroborate this truth.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm not sure if it's coincidence, people upset with the company, or they have had the confrontation bias removed but this is more than unusual for the time frame and IMO this has a connection with all of this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240410_093746_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240410_093746_Chrome.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

teched58

index.php

Eric is used to receiving a gentle massages from the reviewer -- in this case, Stereophile -- before a review of his speaker is published. (Above is a comment on the Youthman video on YT.)

dday84

index.php

Eric is used to receiving a gentle massages from the reviewer -- in this case, Stereophile -- before a review of his speaker is published. (Above is a comment on the Youthman video on YT.)

I would get my popcorn ready for a livestream video with Youthman and his crew and Eric Alexander. I hope this happens.

Eric seems to love to make everything about him, and can't separate himself from the Tekton company, the speakers themselves, or anybody else who mentions Tekton. Even in the above comment post from him, he refers to the Stereophile review as "my recent Stereophile review".............but it is not his review, it is a review by a person working for Stereophile. There have been other examples whereby it is non-stop "me, me, me" and "my,my, my". I can only conclude what others have said......the guy comes off as a world-class narcissist.

doug s.

It's sad to see tough guys play the 'unduly sensitive' card all day long. The facts are we are all like minded music lovers with mutual interests. Hurling insults and ad hominem attack's all day long is juvenile, boring, and non-productive.
"It's sad to see tough guys play the 'unduly sensitive' card all day long... ...Hurling insults and ad hominem attack's all day long is juvenile, boring, and non-productive."
then why are you doing it? besides the fact that you have presented absolutely zero info to back whatever position it is that you're taking.

"The facts are we are all like minded music lovers with mutual interests."
here, let me correct that for you:
The facts are we are all like minded music lovers with mutual interest.

doug s.

doug s.

Dear Mr. Alexander,

I was wondering if you could give some insight into your design process and what tools you use when designing and measuring your speakers ?

Best Regards.
don't hold your breath...

doug s.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see one of you [this is an invitation] actually construct a healthy dialog that leads to a productive outcome. Again, here's my side of things...

Amir Majidimehr of Audio Science Review published flawed measurements placing my work and abilities in a false light.

The FACTS are Amir Majidimehr refuses to suspend or modify his unsolicited review of my work as of April 10th, 2024. Amir measured our loudspeaker from the wrong angle and he published a flawed frequency response and step response. The correct listening axis for this loudspeaker is directly on-axis [an entirely different angle] with the 8” woofer. The result is a much better frequency response than Amir is publicly conveying and an ideal step response; a step response that reflects the speaker is ‘time-aligned’. Amir's impedance measurement is also flawed and reflects the supplied feet were not used and with no provisions to plug four 1/4 - 20 threaded inserts resulting in him publishing a flawed impedance measurement, flawed distortion measurements, flawed cumulative spectral decay, and lowered bass output in the frequency response measurements due to internal cabinet pressure losses.

Amir’s picture of the Mini Lore reflects the speaker in the air (6 inches off the ground) with no feet being used to maintain proper internal cabinet pressure. His picture also reflects a sun bleached woofer calling into question just how old this speaker might be. The Mini Lore has been in production for 15 years and the speaker he’s using looks visually compromised.

Amir Majidimehr's fumbled measurements caused him to draw conclusions that produced false narratives regarding our loudspeakers performance and my work.

The Mini Lore has a solid cabinet containing internal bracing within; when you see a resonance that big at 180Hz there’s only one logical explanation… there must be a hole or a hidden cavity in the cabinet. Amir failed to discern this. Amir failed to plug the threaded inserts in the bottom of the cabinet and the result cast a negative light on the speaker. Why do we use threaded inserts with a hole through the cabinet? To make it more versatile for isolation feet and outriggers and to allow for the speaker to be perfectly leveled.

In my opinion, Amir Majidimehr should have been more amiable to suspending or modifying his review when I informed him weeks back there were problems.

I feel blindsided by Amir Majidimehr. I believe he owes me a personal and a public apology. I believe Amir Majidimehr should be doing everything in his power to rectify this problem.

Respectfully,
Eric Alexander
Audio Designer
President
Tekton Design, LLC

Temporarily putting aside the community's documented problems with your response to Amir and Erin's reviews, I'll take a stab at conveying my perspective, note a few things, and ask a few questions:

1) Do you provide documentation or other explicit indication to the end user that a speaker that the speaker must be used with the feet installed or holes otherwise covered? I've seen no indication this requirement is mentioned within the speaker's packaging, nor can I find manuals for your products on your website. Simply supplying the feet doesn't imply they are necessary. Many speakers are supplied with grilles too.

2) You're making a judgement of Amir's measurements on the basis of his images not showing the feet installed, but the pictures on your own website do not show the speakers with the feet installed either. Can you at least understand why few would automatically assume that the feet are an integral part of the acoustic design of your speakers?

3) Changing the reference axis on the Klippel NFS is trivial, from my understanding. If the reference axis was the problem, I'm sure that can be adjusted. At the very least, you should be able to glean the direct sound frequency response from choosing a different vertical angle for the on-axis. Do you tell listeners they have to listen on the woofer axis for the best sound in documentation provided with the speaker? Otherwise, this testing is fair game.

4) A speaker being internally braced does not automatically preclude the possibility of internal resonances. We've seen myriad speakers of speakers with internal bracing that still demonstrate resonances. While I grant you that it was a large resonance that might've raised an eyebrow, I've seen many speaker with resonances, but none with cabinet holes for the feet. Would investigating the leak have been ideal given an endless amount of time? Sure. But who expects there to be holes at the bottom of a tower speaker?

5) The traditional (and, imo, appropriate) response to potential flaws in testing methodology is for the manufacturer to follow up with the reviewer and provide evidence a mistake was made, and for a follow-up or correction to be issued. Taking down a review or article happens only for the most egregious of errors, when a writer has shown a clear disregard for the truth or a major lack of due diligence. I don't think this review is anywhere near that threshold; the product was tested in a similar way to how a customer might reasonably use the speaker. Your response is reminiscent to Apple's "you're holding it wrong" saga.

6) You seem to be using "unsolicited review" in a negative sense. In an ideal world, no reviews would be solicited in the first place. A healthy dialogue with the manufacturer is welcome, but it's not a reviewer's responsibility to check every one of their results with the manufacturer either. Anybody with a cheap measurement microphone could produce the same measurements as Amir (with less accuracy and reliability, but still), after all, and these measurements are becoming more and more common.

7) If you believe the speakers may be damaged by age, I'm sure Amir would have been willing to test a more recent model. That does not mean he shouldn't be allowed to test an older model. Vintage speakers are tested here all the time. Sometimes older models don't test as well as new ones. That's fine! Very few readers assume that a single model is indicative of the performance of all the company's models. Harman speakers often do well here, for example, but the one's that perform poorly are criticized just as heavily as any others.

8) Respectfully, I think you need to be okay with having a negative review if there's no malice behind it and the speaker was tested under reasonable conditions. I empathize that your speaker designs are your work and livelihood and it hurts to see them denigrated. But it's been shown time and time again in this and other communities that the most effective response is for the manufacturer to respond their own data and/or submit improvements. You say you have some models that are more linear. Why not send one in? Nobody would have cared that this individual model performed poorly once it had been established that you have speakers that measure better.

Edit: Just saw the comment about stereophile and sharing measurements beforehand. I'm fine with sharing measurements with a manufacturer beforehand. I think it's a useful check, because the data should ideally match very closely. But understand that this is a courtesy, not an obligation. As for sharing the text of a review, I have a lot of problems with but that's a different discussion.

Last edited:

Selkirks

@Eric Alexander

So are you going to ignore the fact that you pulled this exact same act in 2019 when you threatened Ron from New Record Day into pulling all the videos associated with your product? And essentially forcing him into publishing an apology video? How about you address the fact that you PAID him for a review, and then threatened to disclose the whole thing when he made minor criticisms of the speaker? I followed those comments before the videos were pulled. You accused him of the exact same things you are accusing Amir and Erin of, and you threatened him exactly the same way with a lawsuit. So far, the only tactic you haven't repeated was your attempt to convince people that the entire situation was a planned event you created to trap dishonest YT reviewers. Which you said. You said you specifically created the Impact Audiophile speaker to trap dishonest reviewers. Of course, since Ron pulled the videos, I have no proof, but it's possible that after this fiasco Ron might decide to put everything back on display in a show of solidarity, even though it might remind people that he did take money, and not disclose the fact, to review your speakers.

Glad someone else remembers the New Record Day fiasco involving the Impact. One of the many situations were Eric did more damage to the Tekton brand than any reviewer or hobbyist.

I personally have disturbing email exchanges with Eric back when I was a Tekton customer. His behavior with a paying customer soured the Tekton name for me.

Shorty

That comment really doesn't put Stereophile in a good light!
Why not, if it’s no more than a fact check? Nothing wrong with that, it’s common practice.
(I’m sure Stereophile and its publisher make sure all reviews are carefully worded in order to ascertain there are no grounds for litigation. A lesson they surely must have learned the hard way. Why do you think John Atkinson’s measurements are often at odds with his written conclusions? We must read between the lines… )

DLS79

Forum Donor
Why not, if it’s no more than a fact check? Nothing wrong with that, it’s common practice.
(I’m sure Stereophile and its publisher make sure all reviews are carefully worded in order to make sure there are no grounds for litigation. A lesson they surely must have learned the hard way. Why do you think John Atkinson’s measurements are often at odds with his written conclusions? We must read between the lines… )

Imo, you get information from the manufacture before you start, and you only go back to the manufacture if you personally think something is fundamentally wrong. anything more than that and you look like a shill for the manufacture, or someone who is placating them in the hopes they will advertise in your publication.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If an infinite number of monkeys had an infinite number of routers and saws, some of them would make speakers and some of those would be sublime.
Well, he does seem to think his software modeling can whip up any specs we want and he can "make (us) drool and slobber".

His offer: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...kton-m-lore-speaker-review.48732/post-1880330

My reply: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...kton-m-lore-speaker-review.48732/post-1880369

<crickets>

gr-e

...with no feet being used to maintain proper internal cabinet pressure.
Am I actually reading this...
There are at least three reviewers that used your speakers without feet screwed in. Imagine how many unsuspecting customers have done the same and ended up with an underperforming speaker. How this doesn't concern you in the slightest is beyond me.
The reviewers, on their part, should be pointing out this issue, not taking down their reviews.

doug s.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence, people upset with the company, or they have had the confrontation bias removed but this is more than unusual for the time frame and IMO this has a connection with all of this.
actually, it's not even a little bit unusual; its what's usual. as i mentioned before, i've kept an eye out for used tekton product, based on subjective end-user comments and my own experience w/double impacts. there's always a steady flow of tekton gear on the used market. (i'm not commenting on why that may be).

i know that i'm no longer keeping an eye out for used tekton product, and eric has only himself to thank for that; nothing in the reviews themselves put me off tekton.
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=tekton

doug s.

Sonny1

This is wild! I’ve never seen anything like this, as far as I can recall. The mfg can clear up the whole thing by providing his measurements of the speakers. I assume he has measurements taken at the right angle with the feet screwed in. That’s the first thing I would do if I knew the measurements were better than Amir’s evaluation showed.

Secondly, I don’t like the fact that I know Amir has a last name. I prefer to think of him as a one named guy like Sting, Slash, Pele, Cher, The Rock (okay that’s two names), etc. However this situation resolved itself, I will continue thinking of Amir as a one name person. That’s the only thing to which I’m certain.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I prefer to think of him as a one named guy...

When I first read that without my glasses I thought it said 'armed' rather than 'named.'

That makes a lot more sense now.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I first read that without my glasses I thought it said 'armed' rather than 'named.'

That makes a lot more sense now.
Busier than a one-armed Klippel operator getting Tektoned by a manufacturer.

Everett T

Forum Donor
actually, it's not even a little bit unusual; its what's usual. as i mentioned before, i've kept an eye out for used tekton product, based on subjective end-user comments and my own experience w/double impacts. there's always a steady flow of tekton gear on the used market. (i'm not commenting on why that may be).

i know that i'm no longer keeping an eye out for used tekton product, and eric has only himself to thank for that; nothing in the reviews themselves put me off tekton.
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=tekton

doug s.
I see the flow, just seemed a tad bit more than usual (without me scientifically determining).

The first time I saw his speakers with the multiple driver array I wasn't interested based on my experiences with McIntosh's attempts and there was just too much that had to be right just for the speaker to sound good. I had some nice conversations with Roger Russell a few years before he passed on his love for line arrays and even then Keele's principals were largely overlooked. Perlisten does an excellent job with their tweeter array and don't need 8 drivers to accomplish their goal..

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Top Bottom