• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 19.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 368 76.5%

• Total voters

Golf

those measurements tell us everything we need to know to evaluate that amplifier.

That would mean to have an opinion on what measurements may tell you rather than on the amp itself. Don’t you understand that this is not the same?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Maybe ... How can you know this for sure?
Not for sure but this is a good sign:

1712299342723.png

Specially since they know that is not only Amir measuring,lots of members put things under tests.

Talisman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would mean to have an opinion on what measurements may tell you rather than on the amp itself. Don’t you understand that this is not the same?
Yes, I understand that, I think you don't understand that for us the only things worth knowing about that amplifier are found in those measurements, if you think that the measurements do not represent the real performance in the field then you can discuss it in the threads specific.

Golf

we don't know and are trusting Fosi
Not for sure but this is a good sign

So, we’re about trust and good signs here?

OK – I believe I’ve made my point quite clear. Back to business :cool:

What impresses me most here is Fosi’s determination in setting up such a non-ordinary device, for an »ordinary price«. I would guess that a lot of its buyers will purchase it just to »give this a try«.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What impresses me most here is Fosi’s determination in setting up such a non-ordinary device, for an »ordinary price«. I would guess that a lot of its buyers will purchase it just to »give this a try«.
I am not a betting man but on this one device I would wager 5 buckerooz that these amps fly off the shelves. It is very unique, powerful, all around good test results and it's Fozzy Bear cute too.

JSmith

Master Contributor
As I said, I'd like to see a retail unit tested as well to confirm once released. However keep in mind it would be a sales nightmare for Fosi if they were caught out, as other members will also likely test the amp for themselves. I don't think there is any need to be conspiratorial about this... or making implicatory indications of same.

JSmith

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct. Nevertheless more than 350 members of this heavily science devoted community firmly believe that can rate it right now :facepalm:

I think they believe they can subjectively rate the results of the objective performance testing by Amir.

You don't really think the poll is intended to be only for people who have used the amp, do. you? It has never been that.

It is a way for people to give their own rating to a reviewed device - based on the data from the review plus other features/specs, perception of the manufacturer etc. In other words, a form of feedback of their opinion which may be based on different weightings of the available information compared to those Amir considers important.

Just one example - Amir gives a higher weighting to absolute value and performance than I do. Components that perform excellently get a free pass on price - even when that price is (to my eyes) excessive. My own assessment would prioritise value for money - so take price into account much more than Amir does.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point actually.

@amirm I remember the poll being a point of contention when people discuss ASR's ethos.

Wouldn't it be sensible to change the poll title from "Rate this Amplifier/DAC/whatever" to "Rate the measurements"?

Not only would it be a more accurate title, it'd also remove a low-hanging fruit for those criticizing ASR.
I disagree, because my rating will not be based ONLY on the measurements - as I highlight in the example in my previous post.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any »supporting partners« of ASR may strongly disapprove of it. For instance Fosi, who are using suitable ASR user comments for advertising their products ...

That is quite an accusation to be making - have anything to back it up?

Here is a hint - Amir doesn't take any funding from any manufacturer or other commercial organisation (Edit: other than the nominal donation required from all other members who want to sell on the site - eg via classifieds). Nor are there any adverts here (Thank God). The site is 100% user (and Amir) funded.

I'm gonna suggest you should take that post down.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor

OK – I believe I’ve made my point quite clear. Back to business :cool:

Blind faith and trust is not a thing here and you know it.
I'll give you an example.

MiniDSP was measured and found great,right?However after I got one I detected some elevated noise down low when filters engage with my slopping tests and reported them.
@mdsimon2 took it from there,made some very good and rigorous tests,confirmed it and as a result MiniDSP applied a partial fix.That's a win situation in my book.
Furthermore,a few days ago @sarieri also measured it and found some things too.

So,nothing gets a free pass here.Poll is a way for some people to express their own views about the DUT.
And everyone can see it differently.

sarieri

Forum Donor
So,nothing gets a free pass here.
True. To me, this amp doesn’t get a pass as well unless it figures out a way to reach >19dB negative feedback in its PFFB configuration and surpass Topping’s performance. Sure, some will argue it makes no difference. But if you want to put them in a list and rank them, I want THE BEST.

Bleib

Major Contributor
True. To me, this amp doesn’t get a pass as well unless it figures out a way to reach >19dB negative feedback in its PFFB configuration and surpass Topping’s performance. Sure, some will argue it makes no difference. But if you want to put them in a list and rank them, I want THE BEST.
Well, that would be Topping LA90 then in mono-mode. Problem would still be recordings, loudspeakers and rooms..

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It was likely a backplane issue, where's the on/off triggering feature was important in the design, and they chose to use the audio-sense circuit built into the TI amplifier IC rather than lose other connections on the rear panel.
There is no such audio sense circuit in the TPA3255. Where did you get that idea?

Reactions: MCH

Lux_ury

My interest has been activated!
Down to price and would prefer two single 48v 10amp draws due to a imperfect world we live in

JSmith

Master Contributor
Where did you get that idea?
It appears to be stand by after 10 mins...

1712313458166.png

However it's mentioned many times in this earlier thread as auto on/off;

The amp shows "auto";

1712313952127.png

@Fosi Audio, please clarify, as a number of members have asked earlier in the thread.

JSmith

mike70

The switch have 3 positions: on, off and auto. Using common sense ... and some user design concepts ... how do you think it works?
I post my opinion:
- on = always on
- off = always off
- auto = power on with audio signal and power off after 10 mins of no signal detected

Ze Frog

The switch have 3 positions: on, off and auto. Using common sense ... and some user design concepts ... how do you think it works?
I post my opinion:
- on = always on
- off = always off
- auto = power on with audio signal and power off after 10 mins of no signal detected
Yep, exactly what I took away from their site, surprised there's any confusion regarding this.

Golf

I am not a betting man but on this one device I would wager 5 buckerooz that these amps fly off the shelves.

I am not too sure about that, personally. Needs a really big Why should I buy 1 boring stereo amp if I could get 2 hypish mono amps instead? craze ...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not too sure about that, personally. Needs a really big Why should I buy 1 boring stereo amp if I could get 2 hypish mono amps instead? craze ...
I think with all the OP amp rolling, external power supply upgrades and related experiments and with the constant buzz around these TPA amps from all the enthusiasts that they will gravitate to this new mono operation stuff and get to the final destination without all the DIY MODing fuss and muss. It's a hunch I have based on 24 years of expereince in sales and service of audio gear. Unless... unless they are on budgets and then they will just carry on with DIY MODing stuff.

Top Bottom