• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 20.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 362 76.2%

• Total voters

kibs

True. To me, this amp doesn’t get a pass as well unless it figures out a way to reach >19dB negative feedback in its PFFB configuration and surpass Topping’s performance. Sure, some will argue it makes no difference. But if you want to put them in a list and rank them, I want THE BEST.
I understand the sentiment but often times the best leaves a huge dent in one's pocket. For $140 I'll be very happy to get a similarly performing stereo version warts and all

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think everyone have an opinion, totally respectable, and with some right arguments.
But, we can't lose common sense (the less common of the senses) ... 10 years ago ... you could find a pair of monoblocks with real decent performance and good power accessible to everyone?

Put a hand in the heart and answer to yourself.

So, the chasing for the best engineering can't be over very good products at this price tag. It's no sense.

olieb

I am not too sure about that, personally. Needs a really big Why should I buy 1 boring stereo amp if I could get 2 hypish mono amps instead? craze ...
I am not into the market for mono blocks, but judging from the sentiment here the mono block fetish is quite common and probably even more so in the audiophool world. So I guess these will sell well and Fosi might be able to ramp up production for the stereo version that will sell even better, unless another manufacturer is quicker.

morillon

Major Contributor
come from a time where two boxes on a power supply would rather be described as a stereo in a differentiated box but if two power supplies of the mono blocks ;-)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it was a concern about mechanical interference, not electrical. I would have liked to see a locking power plug of sorts to prevent accidental disconnection.

While get your sentiment, a small amp with a truly locking connector would result in the entire amp being dragged if the cable gets yanked. If you look at comparable power bricks for higher end notebooks, they have connectors that are solid but break away if yanked. :cool:

Last edited:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
We need to be gentle with each other over our own little predilections.

Even Amir is not averse to stating a preference for a particular colour display in a DAC.

There was a time when separate pre and power amps were more expensive and desirable than an integrated amp, and two monoblock power amos were more expensive and desirable than a single, stereo power amp.

You’ll just have to excuse the cultural baggage that comes with being into hi-fi for several decades.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Not a hater, I like monoblocks (though I understand shit about electricity) BUT... the review recommendation should be about NEAR SOTA XLR MONOBLOCKS.

Sokel

Master Contributor
As per suggestions all over the thread,this little thing is ok BUT:

-it should be stereo
-it should be mono as is but with a shared PSU
-it should have better performance up high
-it should be on a bigger case to help thermals (yes,that's me :p )
-it should be stereo AND have company's VU meters at the front
-the PSU inlet should be further away from binding posts
-it should have trigger
-it should be completely load independent up to 50Khz
-some others I don't remember
-oh! It should be cheaper,multiple posts on that

Something tells me that you don't really want it :facepalm:

Last edited:

SMen

It seems to me that FOSI have got most things right for a monoblock.
I just wonder why they are not quicker off the mark, or moving in tandem with a stereo model. Like 3e or Sylph with their DIY boards ... mono and stereo as separate products.

But in their range they do have the ZA3 Stereo which can be monoblocked. The obvious would be a ZA3 PFFB but that might undercut such a recent offering ... from only a few months ago and have lots of customers wanting to convert to PFFB!

So we have monoblocks as a first offering, and why not. There are advantages to monoblocks for dinosaurs like me :)

Meanwhile Sylph are relaunching a NON PFFB model for customers who don't want PFFB!

:facepalm:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
These are exactly what I expected Fosi to develop based on the user input that was shared here. It's just a bit more expensive than I was hoping, but within ballpark and definitely at a price point that won't be a stopper for people who really want monoblocks. I wasn't expecting the shared power brick capability, that's a plus in my view, one less box.

The main stopper for me on this is that there is no matching solid state and multiple input preamplifier from Fosi to pair with it. Therefore, I'm going to sit on my hands and not be an early adopter of these, as the Fosi V3 and Aiyima A07/A07 MAX amps are still fulfilling my current small amp needs. By the time they get a good non-tube preamp built and offered, there will probably be the next generation version of these amps or a stereo one.

I think for people wanting more power, and XLR connections, but not wanting to pay $500+ for a Hypex Class D amp or a Schiit Vidar for $800, these are available at about 1/2 the cost. And that's enough of a difference that I am expecting them to sell pretty well, even apart from the FOMO buyers.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Fosi seems to have a great track record.

They certainly don't seem to be over-pricing or trying to pillage the marketplace.

ASR gave them exposure, and ASR took the time to do a very thorough initial review.

So, I am buying sound unheard based on my trust in both.

I think the process here seems fine.

(Not meant as being disagreeable to anyone, just my impression of the thread and what I am planning to do.)

drmevo

Fosi seems to have a great track record.

They certainly don't seem to be over-pricing or trying to pillage the marketplace.

ASR gave them exposure, and ASR took the time to do a very thorough initial review.

So, I am buying sound unheard based on my trust in both.

I think the process here seems fine.

(Not meant as being disagreeable to anyone, just my impression of the thread and what I am planning to do.)
I'm considering as well, this would allow me to put EQ between my integrated amp (which I would start using as a pre) and the Fosi so I could do some room correction. I was looking at a higher-priced Hypex option but this is certainly more budget friendly, and while I don't need mono blocks specifically they won't take any more room than most stereo class D power amps.

Top Bottom