• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pics you’ve taken,

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Century_No_7.jpg
"I'm sorry, I can't do that, Dave."

Cool pic!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this from the 9/11 attack?
I'm Canadian but I'm seeing a war memorial wall. There are multiple walls if I am correct. :D Canada needs this too. The best I have seen is at a cenotaph where my 4 uncles from one small fishing village in Newfoundland are listed as dead in WW1 and WW2.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I'm Canadian but I'm seeing a war memorial wall. There are multiple walls if I am correct. :D Canada needs this too. The best I have seen is at a cenotaph where my 4 uncles from one small fishing village in Newfoundland are listed as dead in WW1 and WW2.
It's the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington DC. Pretty Moving.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington DC. Pretty Moving.
Yes, I am researching it a bit more than I have before. It goes on and on and onnn... Very touching. I also read USA Vietnam Vets raised the cash to have a large plaque built in Canada for Canadian Vietnam Vets. It's quit small of course but it's there. 103 Canadians who were killed in Vietnam and seven missing in action. It is dedicated to all Canadians who served in the American Armed Forces during the Vietnam War.
C65F1E1C-0486-03E5-C9BBEEFA3F287B82.jpg

iv0

Yes, I am researching it a bit more than I have before. It goes on and on and onnn... Very touching. I also read USA Vietnam Vets raised the cash to have a large plaque built in Canada for Canadian Vietnam Vets. It's quit small of course but it's there. 103 Canadians who were killed in Vietnam and seven missing in action. It is dedicated to all Canadians who served in the American Armed Forces during the Vietnam War.
omg … how big is that wall?

Fahzz

Forum Donor
It's too big. 55,000 names...

The design concept is that the names of the dead are not in alphabetical order but rather in order of date of death. That means mourners have to search for the names of their loved ones, and in doing so read a lot of other names in the process which leads to the realization of how many other families lost someone as well as your own.
If you notice the shape of the monument it gradually rises then goes down echoing the progress of the war. You'll also note that the surface is reflective so that you see yourself and others reflected among the names of the dead.

It's a simple masterpiece. Someday I'll get there. I was lucky and was two years too young.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning

The design concept is that the names of the dead are not in alphabetical order but rather in order of date of death. That means mourners have to search for the names of their loved ones, and in doing so read a lot of other names in the process which leads to the realization of how many other families lost someone as well as your own.
If you notice the shape of the monument it gradually rises then goes down echoing the progress of the war. You'll also note that the surface is reflective so that you see yourself and others reflected among the names of the dead.

It's a simple masterpiece. Someday I'll get there. I was lucky and was two years too young.
It is amazing. I can't look at it with a dry eye.

In person, it is perfect.

I can recall when it was first built and there was a big backlash - there were people who hated everything about it, they even hated the designer. I'm glad people have figured out how terrific it is. Very contemplative.

Keith_W

Major Contributor

That is very clever use of perspective, Doodski. Looking at this picture, I would think that the wall stretches all the way to the horizon. But your second pic shows it is a sloping wall. Also love the reflection of the snow on the wall, the converging lines leading to the Monument, and the monochrome cold atmosphere. The path to the monument is book-ended by the dead - names of deceased on the left, naked trees stripped of their foliage on the right.

I love it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is very clever use of perspective, Doodski. Looking at this picture, I would think that the wall stretches all the way to the horizon. But your second pic shows it is a sloping wall. Also love the reflection of the snow on the wall, the converging lines leading to the Monument, and the monochrome cold atmosphere. The path to the monument is book-ended by the dead - names of deceased on the left, naked trees stripped of their foliage on the right.

I love it.
I saw images of the wall during Christmas and they decorate it a bit and light it up more at night. I see this stuff on TV, movies, documentaries and it happens fairly often. I've seen the area and the monuments and buildings so much that I now want to go see them in person. Take a walk etc. Spend a coupla of days.

Graham849

Forum Donor
9am downtown, Apia. Samoa
IMG_20240402_090348315.jpg

blackgate

Out west. Galaxy Note 8
IMG_4209.jpeg

blackgate

Western Texas - Galaxy Note 3
IMG_4208.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ENG

iv0

Had no idea that, this war was so bad. All I know about it is from movies like Forrest Gump.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Had no idea that, this war was so bad. All I know about it is from movies like Forrest Gump.
I'm in Canada. In the mid 80s my mom dated and then became common-law with a ex-Vietnam vet that moved to Canada after the war. He was still crying in the mid 80's from the war. I studied Judo for years previously and I wrastled with him and he was erm... deadly. Gave me a whooping every time within short moments. Never will forget that or him.

Top Bottom