• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

big mattress reduce bass?

senuc

Hi guys,in pic is my bed room,I put a 150cmX 200cm , 18cm thick mattress just on the floor,the bass sound reduced on the listening position

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 140

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
That's believable...

You probably aren't absorbing the deepest bass but a mattress might absorb some bass and some higher frequencies.

...Bass traps are normally designed to absorb most of the reflected bass. This reduces standing waves, smoothing out both the bumps and the dips for overall smoother-flatter bass. The bumps can be pushed-down with EQ but the dips can't be fixed with EQ because you have wave cancellation and it takes tremendous power and huge woofers to overcome the cancellation.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The listening position didn't change? Yeah i'd say possible. But if listening position changed then all bets are off, bass will certainly be different.

OP
S

senuc

I can change the big mattress to a small bed like this,and put a thin matress on bed,is that help?

Attachments

• IMG_1594.jpeg
    IMG_1594.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 44
OP
S

senuc

The listening position didn't change? Yeah i'd say possible. But if listening position changed then all bets are off, bass will certainly be different.
in corner the bass is much better

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or perhaps could compensate with eq and keep the thicker mattress for comfort :) Using a sub or ? If a sub, you could try moving it around....

OP
S

senuc

Or perhaps could compensate with eq and keep the thicker mattress for comfort :) Using a sub or ? If a sub, you could try moving it around....
as the @DVDdoug said , maybe the upper bass is reduced much, when I shutdown the sub , the speaker has no bass which they should have in other room

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
as the @DVDdoug said , maybe the upper bass is reduced much, when I shutdown the sub , the speaker has no bass which they should have in other room
I didn't see you mention a sub vs speakers at all. We're all guessing without details. What are the speakers/sub involved and how are they integrated?

OP
S

senuc

I didn't see you mention a sub vs speakers at all. We're all guessing without details. What are the speakers/sub involved and how are they integrat
roon eq High pass , Low pass -> topping dm7 8 channels dac -> speakers and sub(pascal powered sub)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
roon eq High pass , Low pass -> topping dm7 8 channels dac -> speakers and sub(pascal powered sub)
Interesting, didn't know roon could handle high pass/low pass like that. Tried moving the sub around, tho? Concerned only about your position in bed?

OP
S

senuc

Interesting, didn't know roon could handle high pass/low pass like that. Tried moving the sub around, tho? Concerned only about your position in bed?
yes roon eq can control high/low pass for every channel , dm7 can adjust gain for every channel ,they work perfect to my ear in other room,but now my life changed , I can only put these stuffs in my bed room

droid2000

yes roon eq can control high/low pass for every channel , dm7 can adjust gain for every channel ,they work perfect to my ear in other room,but now my life changed , I can only put these stuffs in my bed room
Roon can control more than two channels?

johnhopfensperger

Forum Donor
A mattress can definitely help in a bare room. After hearing how boomy my room got when I took the mattress out, I decided to build a pair of 24x16 inch floor-to-ceiling absorbers. They reduce the reverb time somewhat better than a single mattress, but they don’t seem to do much below 100hz.

…I’m assuming your post means you like it better with the mattress than without? Small rooms already tend to have way too much low end without eq, I can’t see how more would be better.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well a high pass/low pass on one channel isn't very meaningful, so Roon can output how many channels? I thought it was just 2ch.

OP
S

senuc

Attachments

• IMG_1600.jpeg
    IMG_1600.jpeg
    676 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1601.jpeg
    IMG_1601.jpeg
    505.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1602.jpeg
    IMG_1602.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
as the pics show, mix the left 、right to any channel u want ,then EQ them separately
As long as you have supporting hardware I assume? The screenshots don't do a lot for me.

Andysu

Major Contributor
mattress just changes alters the frequencies , wonder if i should buy some for bass traps , after all they are cheaper than actual bass traps and if they don't work i can always just add them to the bed for extra comfy sleep

i think the other is making a platform that has opening at the back it gives the impression the bass is bigger or something like that ? learnt that a music technology collage , i think a coke bottle is also mentioned , something do with filling it and blowing air around the opening that changes the resonate frequency

44bc43eb-e6cd-4685-a2e0-a3025a3ff842_text.gif

wwenze

Major Contributor
Mattress vs no mattress

UMIK-1 in listening position pointing up using 90-degree cal

qptaWmD.png

CapMan

Major Contributor
Well a high pass/low pass on one channel isn't very meaningful, so Roon can output how many channels? I thought it was just 2ch.
2 channel only as far as I am aware - certainly is for all the Roon endpoints I have. You EQ the whole lot

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can change the big mattress to a small bed like this,and put a thin matress on bed,is that help?
This may possibly make it worse. The air-gap and a thinner absorber will also be quite effective at trapping bass.

Top Bottom