• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

Dgob

Well, I’m not saying that they aren’t worth the money. For professional applications, spending $50 or $100k on equipment makes perfect sense to me. I buy expensive equipment for my business as well. You need the right tools do accomplish the job properly. But for personal use…that sub sell for CAD$17k here in Canada…for an LFE channel? I have a pair of 8361A’s and enjoy them very much but even they’re probably much more than I needed to spend to get an enjoyable musical experience at home. YMMV :)
I know. It was a more tongue in cheek response around really ridiculous outgoings for hifi. As a home user of modest means, I hear you. :):)

Sam Ash

Well, I’m not saying that they aren’t worth the money. For professional applications, spending $50 or $100k on equipment makes perfect sense to me. I buy expensive equipment for my business as well. You need the right tools do accomplish the job properly. But for personal use…that sub sell for CAD$17k here in Canada…for an LFE channel? I have a pair of 8361A’s and enjoy them very much but even they’re probably much more than I needed to spend to get an enjoyable musical experience at home. YMMV :)

@RobL - Interesting to learn that you are using two of the 8361A speakers. What sub or subs did you get? Are you using a streaming server for music?

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@RobL - Interesting to learn that you are using two of the 8361A speakers. What sub or subs did you get? Are you using a streaming server for music?
Hi Sam,
Afraid my system is rather modest by ASR standards. I have no subs, just the two monitors. I stream Apple Music from a Wiim Pro to an RME ADI-2 DAC and run analogue out to the 8361a’s. Most try to stay digital through their chains but I really like having the RME’s tone controls and loudness features, and I’m pretty sure my old ears aren’t going to hear any difference anyway. :)

Sam Ash

Hi Sam,
Afraid my system is rather modest by ASR standards. I have no subs, just the two monitors. I stream Apple Music from a Wiim Pro to an RME ADI-2 DAC and run analogue out to the 8361a’s. Most try to stay digital through their chains but I really like having the RME’s tone controls and loudness features, and I’m pretty sure my old ears aren’t going to hear any difference anyway. :)

Seems like a really nice system you have there @RobL

jhenderson0107

Most try to stay digital through their chains but I really like having the RME’s tone controls and loudness features...
The RME tone controls and loudness features work identically whether using the digital or analog outputs. However, any improvement due to use of the digital path is miniscule and inaudible, IMO.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I also use the speakers to watch films: the white is disturbing :)
Screenshot_20240325_170140_Gallery.jpg
Genelec-40-aniversario-8341-edicion-especial-2 (1).jpg
Screenshot_20211113-163309.jpg
Black is the most practical color but there are other cool colors

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Sam,

I don't think an 8361-based system can be considered modest. :)

In all seriousness though, I also don't have subs for my stereo setup (8351b's). I understand that room-based bass reinforcement can create nonlinearities, and I'm sure my setup could measure more linearly than it does below 100Hz and produce higher SPL below 100Hz if I added subs. But while I'm sure GLM does not fully eliminate bass peaks and nulls, my setup produces as much bass as I could ever want, without objectionable standing waves or suckouts, and shakes the room (and house) when the material contains that kind of low-frequency content at high levels.

I get the importance of subs, but I don't think anyone here should ever think they have to apologize or issue a disclaimer for not using them, especially with well-designed actives with low distortion and an F3 of 30Hz.

Last edited:

Sam Ash

There is the possibility of using third party subs but the fact that Genelec gear can be daisy chained and controlled from GLM is attractive.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
wtf put it back.

Just kidding. Looks completely different than the parts I am used to seeing in Hypex/Purifi, doesn't mean that it's bad though and the system performance proofs that any distortion it might have is well below measuring/hearing threshold.

I am arguing with myself wether I'll get two 8361AM or two 8341AM with two 7350 subwoofers in the future. Both have their pros and cons. Issue is that the subs of genelec are everything but living room friendly.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is that Genelec uses Infineon amp modules, but I could be mistaken about that.

EDIT: I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Top Bottom