• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio sent Erin their speaker??!!

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
but what I am suggesting is some measurements will prove the point; the room the equipment performs in a has a major impact on how the system will measure and the subjective impression it will provide.
I don't understand why you have a problem with this.

There is a bigger danger though of ignoring the existing research and only trusting the own limited and anecdotal experiences instead.
Indeed, which is why I rely on measurements and not subjective impressions.
Have you read toole's book?
I have.
None of your subjective impressions and opinions factor. You seem to misunderstand the posts, so you should feel the need to be sarcastic about 'kindness'. The posts are talking about obviously measurable aspects of rooms and speakers. Have you ever investigated a room simulation or done measurements of bass response in a room? If so, you will quickly see that rooms dominate the frequency response at low frequencies (modes) where the high frequency part is fairly predictable from the speakers' spin.
I haven't noticed any kindness, rather a patronising attitude. No worries.
I have indeed investigated room simulation and done measurements of bass response along with the rest of the audible frequency range in a room, in tanks and in aircraft which is why I know a subjective evaluation is worthless. The rest I agree with but when listening one doesn't seperate out the lower frequencies from the rest.
A 3dB frequency shift, depending on it's spread is usually audible, so I don't understand your point.
But you don't have to trust ASR members though
I don't trust ASR members. I do trust the measurements though and to some extent my years of experience working with communications for military applications.

It seems there are some Erin fans here and despite the forum being measurement based a high percentage of contributors who value his subjective impressions.

I return to my original post
"I was under the impression that here on ASR we had got to the point where we accepted that the room the speakers operate in has a major influence on how a speaker will sound to the listener. That being the case, in order for any subjective review to bear any relevance to how that speaker sounds one would have to have an indentical room, listening position, electronics etc, set at identical values, not to mention the same hearing acuity.
So, how can what one person hears in their listening environment have any worth to another person in a different environment?
This alone makes subjective reviews unreliable to the point of being pointless. No need to delve into the motivations of the reviewer or overly complex debates. It's the same for any experiment; change the experiment parameters and one is likely to get a different result."

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is an example.
Soundstage is one example. Imaging in all 3 dimensions (some calls it holography, some calls it 3D imaging), and bass punch, those are other examples that I don't think I can find in the measurements (or at least I don't know what to look for since there is still so much about measurements for me to learn).

And coincidently those are the 3 exact characteristics of this new speaker I got about 2/3 weeks ago. And I have been describing my subjective experience on these speakers to others on this very forum, which helped them decide to buy these same speakers. Of course, they took what I said with a grain of salt and they primarily looked at the data published by Ascend and plan to take advantage of their return policy if they don't like it.

Now I do agree some of Erin's subjective description of the FR10 went over the top and some of it is flowery nonsense, in fact, sometimes, I do get suspicious if he actually peeped at the data, because that is some pretty serious bat ears he's got, but I'm in no position to accuse his integrity. At the end of the day, YouTube has fast forward if I am hearing too much flowery nonsense.

You can never, ever trust my pure subjective remarks without measurements as a reason to buy anything!
At least for me, I think I've learned my lesson from the days before ASR, Erin and Spinaroma.org, where I have no choice but to read the non-sense of reviewers, at least back then there used to be brick and mortar stores to go and listen for yourself. Now, it would be madness to buy any speakers without seeing the measurements and listening to them, preferably in your own space.

OP
nerdemoji

nerdemoji

Think of whether your doctor is improperly biased by the diagnostic tests he/she has ran. Does anyone here want to argue that he would be a better doctor if he/she tried to figure out what is wrong with you without any testing???
I know you probably didn’t mean this as a proper analogy, but I would say that this is false equivalency.

Let‘s assume the diagnostic if for a non-spectrum disease or disorder, with a clearly defined definition, meaning that the patient either has or doesn’t have a condition. In this case, the doctor needs to come to a binary answer and that answer has consequence so they must get it right. Whether they have or don’t have the condition has nothing to do with an experience; it is not a subjective conclusion.

Sound quality evaluations are PURELY subjective. Arguments can be made for average subjective experiences or accuracy, but sound quality is purely subjective. Any information you have besides the sound will change your subjective experience. Introducing bias in any way to a subjective experience is never good.

Let’s assume that I want to review a speaker. If I know the measurements, I will immediately assume the sound, and subconsciously reconcile the perceived audio quality with the measurements, with the information you have. Instead of a true subjective experience, you have an experience plus some unknowable amount of bias. One time, I applied the Spinorama EQ using EQAPO and was certain that I had improved my audio. The device wasn’t configured and the EQ did nothing.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir,

Keep in mind I'm not arguing that Erin has made some absolutely rigorous "case closed" in his review.

As usual, I'm talking about what reasonable inferences I can draw from his review, in a practical sense.

Any such claims need to be backed by in-room measurements. None were provided. Room modes mix with speaker response creating a very complex, and situation specific experience. No way what he said can be taken at face value and be useful for anyone else.

Erin is a careful listener and I don't think it unreasonable to accept that, subjectively, he found the FR10s allowed somewhat closer position to the backwall without over-emphasizing the bass relative to many other speakers he's reviewed.

And his pointing to the Klippel measurements showing a dip in the bass response, again presumably relative to other loudspeakers that didn't take as well to closer all placement, seemed to make his subjective account plausible.

So...I think it's reasonable to think he was identifying subjectively and objectively a real characteristic of the loudspeaker. Even if not to a level of scientific certainty.

Phrases like "satisfying sense of lower mid upper bass" have no specificity. There is no reason to think that Erin has special acuity to determine something this nebulous. This is stuff we read from random subjectivist reviewer. And who is to say the range is 200 to 500 Hz? Where did that come from? Maybe it is 200 to 350. On the lower woofer thing, again, he would have to provide a measurement to demonstrate that. With no data, he can't say that is the reason for said "satisfying sense." Maybe the in-room measurements show the exact opposite.
You cut off some of the quote: "He talked about a satisfying sense of lower mid upper bass transition and kick/punch that he found very satisfying, especially around 200 to 500 Hz region."

Erin repeated that the speakers gave a sense of strong upper midbass punch.

The concept of upper/midbass "punch" is not "nebulous." Terms like adding "punch" are used all the time in sound and mixing. And it's very often attributed to the range Erin specified:

These are the kick drum frequencies to look for:

• 25-50 Hz: Ultra-Low Bass Rumble
  • 50-80 Hz: Clearer Bass Notes
  • 80-200 Hz: Punch
  • 200-500 Hz: Boxiness and Muddiness
  • 600 Hz-1,2 kHz: Knocking Click
  • 1,2 kHz-6kHz: High Click

Punch specifically can be leveraged by low-end frequencies. These most commonly come from your drums or percussion. Try boosting around 100-200 Hz. This will give that extra oomph which contributes to the power of the mix.

Now, it will depend on the recording character and the instruments where exactly more "punch" will occur - it can go somewhat below 100Hz or in to the 600Hz range depending (I often add around 150Hz for punching up lots of sounds).

But Erin is certainly in the ball park of talking about the right frequencies for "punch" and the measurements as I mentioned support his account.

Given I'm a nut about drum sound reproduction in a system, I care that kick drums and bass have a "punchy" live character, and so Erin reporting these speakers do well in that region is informative.

Soundstage is predominantly a function of the recording.
Next in line is the very complex interaction of a speaker with its room. Further, someone's sense of characterizing soundstage is totally unreliable and unverifiable. Does your room look like his? Do you listen to the same track? Do you have his sense of the concept of soundstage?

Erin has been quite descriptive in his reviews as to what he's talking about with a soundstage, and his preferences: Some speakers seem to have a more narrow presentation, contain the sound between the speakers, but Erin prefers speakers that sound more open and extended so there is less of a sense of the speaker boundaries being strict borders on the soundstage, and the sense the sound goes somewhat beyond the outer edges of the speakers, making the speakers seem to "disappear" more rather than strictly delineate all soundstages between the speakers.

I don't know about you, but I've heard what he's talking about many times. I've heard some loudspeakers present many tracks I'm familiar with in a narrower presentation, and some with a more open wider deeper presentation. With some speakers it's effortless to get that "wide open" soundstage effect...others less so. If you have never experienced this...I don't know what to say, but I have so I get what Erin is identifying.

And I believe that one can find trends in subjective reviews that identify such characteristics. You won't find a single review of MBL omnis that don't talk about their wide open spacious imaging. You can find such trends in other speakers, e.g. the Audio Physic brand, even the Joseph Audio speakers I own, and there are plenty of other examples.

Proper science says that speakers with wide dispersion cause an apparent image shift (toward the walls). They give a more diffused soundstage. That is all that you can say about it. Anymore more is pretending to be some golden ear subjectivist reviewer imagining things you can't prove.

No that's not all you can say about it. A perceptive listener who is willing to put sonic impressions in to words, can have a lot more to contribute. A speaker is used to play music mostly, and so we care about how the character of a speaker affects how music sounds. "Diffuse" wouldn't tell you much. It is more helpful to give specific examples, as subjective reviewers do, and as Erin did, as to how the speaker affects musical content. Erin gave specific music examples indicating the sense of wide open dispersion and "immersion," as well as specific recording examples to illustrate that the speaker nonetheless had precise and "not too diffuse/confused" imaging. His descriptions of how the Michael Jackson footsteps imaged with precision on the FR10s was very informative, suggesting the speaker had open, immersive imaging while not sacrificing imaging precision. And I'm not sure that would be so easy to divine, especially the imagine precision he encountered, just from the measurements.

If the frequency response shows this, then I don't need his subjective remarks. And sure, everyone knows you can play with toe in to reduce high frequencies.

The subjective remarks suggest his hearing was accurate enough to track with some of the more obvious measurable characteristics. And maybe you can look at the measurements and have a pretty good idea how they will sound on and off axis. But a good reviewer understands he's interpreting to a broader audience, in which not everyone (probably few) can look at the measurements and know precisely how the speaker will sound. So Erin's subjective comments help explain the relevance of the speaker's design and measurements, their subjective consequences.

Classic nonsense praise from every subjective reviewer. Oh I did not get fatigued. What if I get fatigued? Where is the research that indicates what causes fatigue?

If you watch Erin's content you can get a better sense of this. For instance if he's reviewing Focal or Klipsche speakers and noting how he found the brightness uncomfortable without EQing it down, and showing in the measurements where that brightness is coming from, then there is some context for his saying the FR10s were not fatiguing for him to listen. Having heard Focal and Klipsche speakers, I get a sense of what he's describing.

Reads even more like an Absolute Sound reviewer than anyone saying they believe in objectivity.

As I've said before, communication is a two-way street. It is hard to communicate with someone who is not motivated to understand what the other person is trying to communicate. Yes there is lots of unhelpful b.s. in subjective reviews, but putting sound in to language is far from useless. We can communicate that way if we care to. A tool is only useful if you use it.

So thanks for writing all of this up. :)

No problem :)

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
This got a little spicy overnight. I can see why this debate was prompted though and a good spirited discussion about these things is worthwhile to a lot of readers to better understand what's going on.

I too wish that we had launched these at a lower price as I'd love to get them in more people's hands. At PS, management have figured out a margin that keeps the company afloat and healthy but I'd love to get more aggressive to do better in product comparisons. One thing to keep in mind is that, if you call our sales team and/or are trading in gear, you can get them in the $7.5K range. Internationally, that isn't the case though as there is a lot of additional cost in shipping/importing and local support etc.
Im from south america, due to taxes and shipping and 0 ps audio stores here, buying this speaker can be really expensive
Companies like kef give special prices here in the store, like u dont pay taxes or shipping just the original price
Whaferdale with his elysian 3 is like 4500 usd~, that range its the expensive range…
Most people in the 10k range just buy old and very trustful brands, typical sound fabers, focal, kef, jbl… you know very old and known brands. Also most of them are old because this hobby is si expensive
14k seeying in other perspective is what an engineer earn per year where I live, me with my 27 are out of this economic speaker range.

But cool speaker idea, congrats to the engineering team Ps audio

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This got a little spicy overnight. I can see why this debate was prompted though and a good spirited discussion about these things is worthwhile to a lot of readers to better understand what's going on.

I too wish that we had launched these at a lower price as I'd love to get them in more people's hands. At PS, management have figured out a margin that keeps the company afloat and healthy but I'd love to get more aggressive to do better in product comparisons. One thing to keep in mind is that, if you call our sales team and/or are trading in gear, you can get them in the $7.5K range. Internationally, that isn't the case though as there is a lot of additional cost in shipping/importing and local support etc.
FR30 - $30k USD
FR20 - $19k USD
FR10 - $10k USD

If I had to guess how much the FR5 would cost, I say. . .oh I don't know. . .$5k USD?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Once more. :( Subjective listening of general fidelity of a speaker is very unreliable. There is strong research on that:

index.php

See where the audio reviewers rank. This is a rating of how reliable and consistent their assessment is in controlled testing.

A reminder about this study, which is often trotted out to dis reviewers:

How many Audio Reviewers were tested?

Six. Only 2.2 percent of all the subjects in the study.

Certainly the reliability of Audio Reviewers perception hasn't been established either. But if we are to honour a scientific mindset, we'd be very cautious about how much can be drawn from a sample size that small, from a single study (replicated? Not replicated?) like this one. If too much weight is put in such a study, that risks exposing a biased approach to what such studies can support.

And once again: The relevance of sighted, subjective impressions is not contained only to what can be demonstrated with scientific levels of control. The question remains whether it's still reasonable to apportion any level of credence to sighted listening. In the case of sonic differences in the range known to be audible, often in real world practice the answer has to be "yes, they can be informative."

Let's say you are listening to music through a loudspeaker, evaluating the sound you hear.

Let's say frequency response of that loudspeaker is roughly that of the B&W 801D4 speakers measured by Stereophile:

The reviewer heard subjectively that the speakers "put out a lot of high-frequency energy," and upon initial set up they sounded bright and lacking somewhat in the bass, and that the speakers had to be pushed back towards the back wall as a start to dial in a more balanced sound.

All that makes sense given the measurements.

Anyway, let's just assume a loudspeaker you are evaluating has a distinct upper frequency emphasis like the B&W.

Now in terms of evaluating the sound, you could get similar impressions from a perfectly neutral speaker that has been EQ'd to sound more like the B&Ws, emphasizing the highs, for a brighter than neutral sound. And if you had heard many speakers, especially if you were also familiar with neutral sound, it's not unlikely that a perceptive listener could be ACCURATE in identifying boosted highs (or lacking in bass as well). So...is it really that implausible to take a report, especially from an experienced listener, that they've identified audible characteristics in a speaker?

It's ultimately no different than being able to identify whether the lows were shelved down, and the highs boosted, via an EQ instead.

And if we had no justification for thinking that, without blinded or scientific controls, we just can have no reason to put stock in to our sighted listening...then what of the use of EQ in professional mixing or home use, or the tone controls advocated by luminaries like Floyd Toole? Floyd suggests it's a nice idea to have tone controls on hand to adjust for poorer recordings, boosted/harsh highs, lack of bass or whatever. But this only makes sense presuming one really can in casual listening identify such sonic characteristics. We aren't all listening in blind conditions right? Is the use of tone controls only justified if we've blind tested every impression before hand?

So the main point being: yes, sighted bias is a thing and if you want real precision you want scientific controls.

But it can also be justifiable to rely on sighted listening when evaluating a loudspeaker, and taking other experienced listener's descriptions as plausibly accurate as well.

Not every sonic claim of course (extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence) and not from every reviewer all the time. But I think one can reasonably sift out some descriptions as more plausibly accurate than others.

Erin has a very good track record of hearing things that also show up in measurements.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All, come to think of it, why the hell are we even arguing about Erin's review of this product?

Seriously think about it, do you honestly think anyone from the demographics of science loving community would seriously consider buying this speaker at $10k USD? No seriously, do you think there is even a remote chance?

We all know the usual suspects of speaker brands this science loving community buys: KEF, Revel, Ascend, Philharmonics, Perlisten, Neumann, Genelec, D&D, Kii.

Keep it real here folks. :cool:

Sokel

Master Contributor
All, come to think of it, why the hell are we even arguing about Erin's review of this product?

Seriously think about it, do you honestly think anyone from the demographics of science loving community would seriously consider buying this speaker at $10k USD? No seriously, do you think there is even a remote chance?

We all know the usual suspects of speaker brands this science loving community buys: KEF, Revel, Ascend, Philharmonics, Perlisten, Neumann, Genelec, D&D, Kii.

Keep it real here folks. :cool:
Problem is that whoever searches for bigger speakers has to rely on the reputation of the small ones of these companies and a scientific oriented folk just can't do it without seeing actual measurements.
Kef is nice,right?But what if I wanted to go to Muon?Do I have the data?No.

So,it's a narrow range you describe (FR10 is also small but I'm talking about the principle) .

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Having watched several of Erin's videos, I do find it helpful when he begins a review by providing a subjective assessment of what he heard prior to measuring, particularly when there appear to be obvious resonances, large directivity errors, tilted up treble, etc etc, because he is generally able to link those subjective findings with the actual data (could he be "cheating" at times? I don't know, but I've not run across any clear evidence of such so will not address the topic further).
Pretty good evidence is in front of us. At the time of the video production, he has full knowledge of measurements so he can modify his subjective narration to match the measurements or at least imply one supports the other.

His subjective commentary is way too specific to be in absence of measurement data. As is the case with many other reviewers I watch especially those that do headphone tests (as they routinely these days also show measurements).

Remember, Erin does not follow any proper protocol for subjective testing of speakers. Research shows that you want to do mono testing, not stereo. That is what I do. He doesn't:

index.php

Does he position the speaker always in the same spot like I do and show you that? Here is my example:

index.php

You have seen this picture for many tower speakers, right? This helps dial out the room contributions. Sticking two speakers in a room with heaven knows what distance or configuration hugely obfuscates the analysis.

I personally don't find the need to toss out the baby with the bath water.
You have to when the subjective comments clearly match the measurements despite claim of not looking ("wide dispersion meant wide soundstage" how did he know it has wide dispersion?). Or, they are just audiophile mumbo jumbo like listener fatigue, smooth midrange, and other nonsense like that is filling many minutes of the video. And at the start no less, putting more emphasis on that than measurements.

One of the shows I watch on TV is Pawn Stars. When someone brings an item and claims it is authentic, main star says, "it is not that I don't believe you, I don't believe anyone! I would go out of business if I did otherwise." Same here. You want to listen for entertainment value, do so. Please don't say, "oh Erin liked the sound too, he said it is non-fatiguing, it has great imaging, etc." That is just nonsense and deserves to be tossed out in any informed discussion.

My other beef with this kind of commentary is that it helps to paper over objective flaws, again as presented up front. I am not saying it is the case with PS Audio but really, if you believe in audio science, you put measurements forward first. Explain that. Then develop a strict protocol for subjective testing with specific intent to find issues that are not easily measurable, make sure they are repeatable by others, and then say a few words.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Music1969 is entitled to his opinion - but he is not entitled to his own facts, and he is not entitled to make claims without a response. In this case that response is that his opinion is stupid - not because I disagree with his perspective, but rather because his opinion is based on a factual claim that Erin did not make.
Sorry you are wrong.

I've seen it in so many videos and I just watched his L50 Meta video

He can hear 2dB scoop at 2kHz that shows up later in his measurements.

KEF provide anechoic chamber measurements in product brochure and he was late in reviewing these as he notes at the beginning.

Have you seen how any speakers he measures on Klippel, measure in his listening room at listening position ?

Being on ASR , wouldn't that be the most important thing to see for his 'subjective listening' ?

Good grief indeed.

Even Darko has shared his room acoustics measurements recently ! :facepalm:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Pretty good evidence is in front of us. At the time of the video production, he has full knowledge of measurements so he can modify his subjective narration to match the measurements or at least imply one supports the other.

His subjective commentary is way too specific to be in absence of measurement data.

Exactly my point. His KEF LS50 Meta is a classic example

He measured these in December 2023. Quite late.

And he can hear 2dB scoop at 2kHz , in his listening room (not even nearfield)

And nobody sees how this speaker measures inside his listening room, where he places them and where he sits

But people automatically trust his subjective listening accuracy ?

KEF's own brochure give you anechoic chamber measurements / spinorama

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Let’s assume that I want to review a speaker. If I know the measurements, I will immediately assume the sound, and subconsciously reconcile the perceived audio quality with the measurements, with the information you have.
You think looking at FR10 speaker doesn't do this for you? And in totally improper way?

If measurements tell me a speaker is totally flat, you want me to go and pontificate without that knowledge that what I heard was too bright? And then show the measurements indicating otherwise? To what end?

Note that when I do listening tests, I initially don't have the measurements in front of me. I use my laptop for listening and the files are elsewhere. I listen for a bit and give you the "stock impression." But then I look and re-evaluate what i thought. If test hypothesis with EQ development. I perform that testing blind if needed. I am fully connecting listening tests to measurements this way. This is the only sane way to give proper subjective data.

moonlight rainbow dream

I am one of those viewers that largely ignores Erin's subjective commentary, but the reason is not any of the above technical ones. I just have completely different musical tastes from him, so the frame of reference is non-existent.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's gone way past that! It seems to have developed into a few subjectivists defending subjective reviews initiated by a subjective reviewer no less.:D
There are surprisngly few objectivists for want of a better description on this forum and those that are here tend not to get involved in these tedious debates. It's part of the reason I don't post here much despite having read ASR from its first weeks online and being a member here since 2019.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Problem is that whoever searches for bigger speakers has to rely on the reputation of the small ones of these companies and a scientific oriented folk just can't do it without seeing actual measurements.
Kef is nice,right?But what if I wanted to go to Muon?Do I have the data?No.

So,it's a narrow range you describe (FR10 is also small but I'm talking about the principle) .
My point is, no one from this scientific minded community will likely buy any speakers from PS Audio. Because they are nearly double the price for almost half the performance of their SOTA competition. The speakers that this scientifically minded community more likely than not will target speakers of the likes of KEF, Ascend, Revel, etc etc.

Sokel

Master Contributor
My point is, no one from this scientific minded community will likely buy any speakers from PS Audio.
Why not?That's prejudice in my book.
The same went with MoFi and the thing turn to be really nice.

And what if one has a taste for luxury enclosures that match it's house?
I have admitted lots and lots of times that I love Rockports.I have seen couple of measurements here and there,I have lots of in room ones (so,insignificant) but there's something about them that suits me. Not scientific at all I know,but our world is driven by looks and there are lots of scientific stuff behind that.

There's no such thing as no bias,either positive,negative by taste,class or experience.
The key is open mind,no settling and no prejudice.

Top Bottom