• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They now also have a nice solution to my 'problem' with a large collection of tracks on the external USB drive plugged into the back of the WiiM Amp. The latest version of their App caches and 'resyncs' the scanned metadata from the tracks found on the usb. So both the WiiM Amp itself and now also the mobile app caches the information - this makes it very fast and reasonable good search capability (though of course it is not a 'Roon level' UI)

Zek

Major Contributor
They now also have a nice solution to my 'problem' with a large collection of tracks on the external USB drive
Does the application support playback of audio files from folders?
My music organization is as follows: Music > Folders (Artist - Album) > Tracks (Title).
I usually listen to the whole album.
Are cue files supported?

Brantome

Major Contributor
Does the application support playback of audio files from folders?
My music organization is as follows: Music > Folders (Artist - Album) > Tracks (Title).
I usually listen to the whole album.
Are cue files supported?
Yes re folder browsing, and I haven’t seen support of cue files mentioned so probably no.

Reactions: Zek

xSDMx

Just got the hotfix firmware update and HDMI appears to be working great so far. Audio works on sleep/wake from HDMI source and I haven't been able to reproduce the garbled audio issue from two firmware versions back. Will keep testing but good news so far! Love my WiiM Amp and appreciate how responsive support is.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
WiiM Amp vs Eversolo DMP A6 ME+LHY PSU+Eversolo Amp F2 vs Cambridge Audio EVO 150

WiiM Amp Revolution? Don't Buy Wrong All-In-One !

WiiM Amp Revolution Don't Buy Wrong All-In-One demos.png

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
The important thing is that the cables and the rest of the hardware are the same. The differences are very evident. I think the best and slightly cheaper combination is the updated Eversolo + Fosi ZA3 (mono, Sparkos), since those expensive speakers have (at least the Mundorf AMT dipole tweeter used) a reasonable impedance at > 10 kHz for cheap class D amplifiers without PFFB.

WiiM amp is for more modest systems and listening to commercial recordings with DR << 10 dB without too much complexity, that is, not orchestral masses. After all, that is what the vast majority hear.

As I often say, a good recording of an orchestral mass with DR 12 dB or more is what really helps to detect the deficiencies or otherwise of the audio systems. Unfortunately it is not lavished on YT's sound demos, usually with undemanding recordings.

Brantome

Major Contributor
As I often say, a good recording of an orchestral mass with DR 12 dB or more is what really helps to detect the deficiencies or otherwise of the audio systems. Unfortunately it is not lavished on YT's sound demos, usually with undemanding recordings.

Which recordings would you suggest that would demonstrate that?

maty

Major Contributor
For a few weeks now I have been uploading 4K videos (AAC 192kbps, maximum that YT allows) of vinyl rips in 24/96 FLAC to YT. Some CD and Reel to Reel. Usually classical, baroque, jazz, progressive rock... for now. Recordings from decades ago that are little known but of great quality of performance and sound, with DR > or >> 10 dB.

-> https://www.youtube.com/@matytinman/videos

An example, orquestral mass, DR15

Bernard Haitink, Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam - Mahler - Symphony No. 7 (1971) Vinyl x2, Philips, UK

Attachments

• YouTube-maty-tinman-channel.jpg
    YouTube-maty-tinman-channel.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

punQ

Just got an email that my Wiim amp has been sent.. i am fired up.. ordered my unit in January...

On that note, is there any setting in the app to boost speech in movies when using it through arc. Would be a nice feature if you could do this directly in the app..

Brantome

Major Contributor
Just got an email that my Wiim amp has been sent.. i am fired up.. ordered my unit in January...

On that note, is there any setting in the app to boost speech in movies when using it through arc. Would be a nice feature if you could do this directly in the app..
No. I’d expect your tv to have that feature,

harkpabst

On that note, is there any setting in the app to boost speech in movies when using it through arc. Would be a nice feature if you could do this directly in the app.
There is a predefined EQ setting called "Spoken Word", which might or might not be good enough for what you want

Alternatively, you can make your own graphic EQ or parametric EQ settings as needed and store them. With an upcoming firmware (and app update) it will even be possible to assign those to different inputs individually.

However, this is all just "static" EQ, no attempts are made to dynamically "detect" if human speech is present and boost this range only "when needed".

PS:
It's also not a compressor filter.

Last edited:

punQ

No. I’d expect your tv to have that feature,
hmm. Never had a tv that did this. Had a few amps that could do it. Plus the apple tv has a feature for leveling out speech and loud sound (night mode or something like that).

rsc1

New firmware version just landed (5.0.609856). Updating mine now :) Make sure your WiiM is not in standby mode, or the update won't start.

punQ

So i recieved and set up my new amp.. I think it's performing quite well. Nice app, easy setup. Pairs well with my Klipsch RP-160M and my old KEF Sub.

No issues with coil whine or other things. This is "PCB_version": "5"" according to statuspage.

rsc1

hmm. Never had a tv that did this. Had a few amps that could do it. Plus the apple tv has a feature for leveling out speech and loud sound (night mode or something like that).
A lot of newer TVs have this feature, but usually as soon as you use a different audio out than the tv's own speakers, it won't let you enable it. That's how it works on my Hisense.

OP
Graham849

Graham849

Forum Donor
Darkorevisits

Top Bottom