• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help identifying old interconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Good grief, its a cable.
Exactly!
Im interested IN THE CABLE and why they would use it for interconnects.
As for why? I don’t know… I would probably use one per channel, signal and ground to one of the inner conductors, connect the shield on one side. It will probably work as well as any other cable.

OP
B

Briank

I have both audio and digital interconnect cable that has the same configuration and wiring as you have described. It was purchased in bulk reels (whatever was remaining) many years from a local electronics shop that was closing their doors.

Good luck in your search.
Thank you!

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Im interested IN THE CABLE and why they would use it for interconnects.

Because they want to stand out from the crowd.

Maybe it works just like any other RCA cable, or maybe it actually does something to the sound. But that "something" is guaranteed to have nothing to do with quality. Just a convoluted way of applying EQ.

We are simply pointing out that you are at an extreme risk of chasing ghosts. If that's not helpful to you, we can't do much more than sit back and watch in bewilderment.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I don't know the type as pictured, but I've frequently used twin core microphone cables similar in construction (braided screen and sometimes an extra inner shielding layer as here) for RCA interconnects. The two inners I connected as 'hot and return' and the shield was connected at one end to the 'return' and soldered to the 'outer' of the RCA plug. Works for me... Obviously fine for balanced XLR use as originally intended.

Some interconnect makers twisted the two inner cores together, using both as 'hot' with the shield/screen as return as is conventional for RCA plugs but I believe it fecks with the capacitance.

Thickest coax I ever used (and I still have them although almost impossible to use as they hardly bend) was an install cable called Ecoflex 10 (flex, my a***e :D). I imagined it had a refined 'clean' sound with no splatter or splash on cymbals and so on. Finding an RCA plug to take the 10+mm outer diameter was an issue and I eventually found one but had to ream the shell out a bit more. To be honest, an Amazon basics RCA (double screened I gather and a good 'wire' inside the basic looks) is just as good subjectively for audio frequency use and only costs a few quid...

Latest version of the Ecoflex 10 -

These days I use whatever I can find in my substantial cables box that is the right length and my gawd, I have a goodly few I've made up over the years ;)

Last edited:
OP
B

Briank

Exactly!

As for why? I don’t know… I would probably use one per channel, signal and ground to one of the inner conductors, connect the shield on one side. It will probably work as well as any other cable.
Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding but do you mean one cable per channel and then configure the terminations as you stated vs using one cable for both channels? I failed to mention, there are two cables, one cable per channel with both conductors in the center pin and only braided shield for ground.

OP
B

Briank

Because they want to stand out from the crowd.

Maybe it works just like any other RCA cable, or maybe it actually does something to the sound. But that "something" is guaranteed to have nothing to do with quality. Just a convoluted way of applying EQ.

We are simply pointing out that you are at an extreme risk of chasing ghosts. If that's not helpful to you, we can't do much more than sit back and watch in bewilderment.
This is one of my theories as well.

I wholeheartedly agree, there’s no doubt to me that cables can change the way things sound. Applying a sense of eq as you say. As for my personal opinions, I don’t think “expensive cables” are required for that but I am very interested in the science behind different conductor materials and why silver sounds brighter to me than copper. And I am much in favor of science over feelings, if there’s science behind that feeling, that’s exciting to me.

I’m very much aware of the hifi cable rabbit hole and I’d like to avoid it. I spent $150 on my speaker cables and I think that’s bordering on absurd, tho they are 10ga.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding but do you mean one cable per channel and then configure the terminations as you stated vs using one cable for both channels? I failed to mention, there are two cables, one cable per channel with both conductors in the center pin and only braided shield for ground.
That seems like a curious construction, but that should also work. In the end, especially for short runs, it is inconsequential for the audio quality.

guy48065

Do you recall if the inner insulation appeared to be extruded onto the wire or slipped over?
I recall many audiophile cables back when used Teflon jackets but because Teflon required a very high temperature to extrude, and high temps did bad things to high-purity copper, it was fairly common construction to slip Teflon tubing over the conductors.

OP
B

Briank

I don't know the type as pictured, but I've frequently used twin core microphone cables similar in construction (braided screen and sometimes an extra inner shielding layer as here) for RCA interconnects. The two inners I connected as 'hot and return' and the shield was connected at one end to the 'return' and soldered to the 'outer' of the RCA plug. Works for me... Obviously fine for balanced XLR use as originally intended.
I'm glad you mentioned that. I forger where now but I saw someone post on a similar "need help" post showing a similar cable that it was microphone cable as well. I just find its use in analog interconnects very curious.
Some interconnect makers twisted the two inner cores together, using both as 'hot' with the shield/screen as return as is conventional for RCA plugs but I believe it fecks with the capacitance.
And this is exactly what they've done. Could you expand your thoughts on capacitance? Curious to know as my experience here is limited.
Thickest coax I ever used (and I still have them although almost impossible to use as they hardly bend) was an install cable called Ecoflex 10 (flex, my a***e :D). I imagined it had a refined 'clean' sound with no splatter or splash on cymbals and so on. Finding an RCA plug to take the 10+mm outer diameter was an issue and I eventually found one but had to ream the shell out a bit more. To be honest, an Amazon basics RCA (double screened I gather and a good 'wire' inside the basic looks) is just as good subjectively for audio frequency use and only costs a few quid...
haha it does seem a bear to work with!
Latest version of the Ecoflex 10 -

These days I use whatever I can find in my substantial cables box that is the right length and my gawd, I have a goodly few I've made up over the years ;)
Very interesting, thank you!

OP
B

Briank

That seems like a curious construction, but that should also work. In the end, especially for short runs, it is inconsequential for the audio quality.
Yes! My thoughts exactly. I just want to try and get a better understanding as to why they might have done that or if it was just to be different. Im indifferent on the quality aspect as I have no experience with them putting noise in my ear holes.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am very interested in the science behind different conductor materials and why silver sounds brighter to me than copper. And I am much in favor of science over feelings, if there’s science behind that feeling, that’s exciting to me.
The science looks like this (not wondering about subjective perceptions of silver or your other writings here):

OP
B

Briank

Short interconnects used at line level? Nope.
Ok, sure. lol. Im not trying to be facetious, I cant tell you or anyone else how they perceive sound. All I can say is that copper and copper based connectors sound VERY much warmer TO ME, than silver and silver plated, in 1 meter connects. But im not here to get into all that jazz.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
B

Briank

Do you recall if the inner insulation appeared to be extruded onto the wire or slipped over?
I recall many audiophile cables back when used Teflon jackets but because Teflon required a very high temperature to extrude, and high temps did bad things to high-purity copper, it was fairly common construction to slip Teflon tubing over the conductors.
Definitely extruded, yes, and pretty hard. I could not peel any of the outer core of insulation away from the two individually shielded wires with my fingernail.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Twinaxial coax is not uncommon and is often used for high-speed differential interconnects or when the additional shield is beneficial to provide greater noise rejection than standard unshielded twisted-pair cables. For audio it is used for microphone runs and long XLR interconnections.

IME/IMO - Don

OP
B

Briank

Close! I suppose the drain wire would provide the same function as the braided shield.
Not that it matters much, cables are just wires (really). Use what you like, don't spend much money or time worrying about them.
Agreed! In this case just trying to give someone that's important to me a little extra joy in his twilight years. Whether his ears are deceiving him or not is irrelevant to me. :)

OP
B

Briank

Twinaxial coax is not uncommon and is often used for high-speed differential interconnects or when the additional shield is beneficial to provide greater noise rejection than standard unshielded twisted-pair cables. For audio it is used for microphone runs and long XLR interconnections.
Thank you. So since a microphone cable is essential in recordings, why not use it to transfer the analog signal in the same way a studio does? An interesting theory, fueled by a desire to create the most accurate recreation for sound I suppose. Now whether or not it worked is here nor there lol.
IME/IMO - Don

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'm sure there's charts an pics in how to make up RCA cables using twin core screened cables and I'd respectfully suggest that using the twin iner conductors combined as 'hot' is not the way I was told to do it - many audio-foo brands sold through dealers do this though to give some kind of added 'character' to the wires but I'm sure capacitance is increased.

I have loads of home made mic cables with one conductor as hot, the return soldered to the RCA shield and one end only of the braid coupled to the shield at one end. No issue for me... It's arguably silly to do this if low capacitance standard single coax is available, but I'll leave it to more technically competent peeps to explain it better and put me to rights if they think I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom