• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me get the most out of my Fischer & Fischer SN370

mnOrn

Hello from Hamburg, Germany!

I have recently inherited a pair of Fischer & Fischer SN370 speakers. I absolutely adore the raw slate, the look, the feel - now I just need to make them sound good. I apologize for any stupid questions in advance, I don't have much prior experience with the theories behind hi-fi. If there are any links that do a good job explaining how the physics between speakers work on a very basic, basic level, I would really appreciate it (e.g. I don't even really understand how power interacts with the resistance of a speaker), and then you don't have to educate me. Also, please keep in mind that English isn't my first language :)

Right now, I have a Yamaha AX 596 that does an okay job of powering the speakers, but I would like to upgrade my amp. It is getting old, and I can't really put in nice speaker cables (no voodoo, just cables with a banana connector). Additionally, I have a Sony PS-6750 turntable that I really enjoy.

What would you recommend for amps?

Just to show that I tried doing my own research (bear with me), here is what I was considering: a tube pre-amp that has a phono-pre already installed, and then a separate solid-state power amp. I am interested in the Topping amps, but after reading a bit in the forums, I am a little worried about their reliability. Maybe the Hypex amps would be a better option?

However, I want to make clear that I am open to any suggestions.

My reasoning is basically that I enjoy the glow and feel of tubes - it just looks neat - and think it would go well with a turntable. On the other hand, for a power amp, I am super worried about finding an amp that goes well with the speakers, so a solid-state amp seems to be the most fool-proof to me. In the same vein, having a phono-pre already installed also seems the most fool-proof to me.

Speaking of, fool-proof would probably be a good attribute for the set-up in general :)

What would you recommend?

I can't really afford to get an expensive high-end set-up, but then again, I am kind of hopeful that with the recent offerings from China, I might not need to. I could probably spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 Euros maybe a little more, but I wouldn't want to spend more than 1500.

And then, how do I make sure, I am getting the best sound out of my set-up?

What are your thoughts on a measurement system? I saw that there is something called SAM for the Fischer & Fischer SN 370, but I am not sure what exactly it does. How important is measuring and adjusting the speakers? I think Sonos has an app that automatically adjusts the speakers to your room acoustics, is there something similar for non-branded set-ups?

Many thanks!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Stay on Yamaha. Try to find A-S700 in new or little used condition (500/250 €). Pair it with MiniDSP Flex or Flex HT and UMIK 1 microphone. Adjusting speakers position and their received response on listening spot is most important there is. If crossovers in those speakers are done right and it's not very small room you will be fine (with DSP room correction). Think those with 210 mm woffer's can pass without subwoofer's. For the purpose of all going trough DSP separate preamp for turnable is advertised and recommendation is Cambridge Audio Duo even the one i'in mentioned Yamaha isn't bad and you can use loop back for the purpose.

OP
M

mnOrn

Hi there and thanks for the reply! So if I understand correctly, the MiniDSP Flex and the microphone are the tools needed to set up the speakers. Do you, by any chance, happen to have a good primer handy for how to use them and what exactly it is that they do? Also, you used DSP a couple of times in your post. From googling, all I could gather that a DSP is a digital signal processor but that it can also mean digital signal processing. For instance, when you refer to the preamp for the turntable, what exactly is the role of a DSP in that scenario? And what does loop back mean in that context?

Also, the Yamaha A-S700 doesn't appear to be widely available in Germany atm, do you have any good alternatives? And why would you counsel against the Topping amps/a tube pre-amp?

Many thanks and sorry to bombard you with a set of questions!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Digital signal procesor does audio processing (PEQ, effects, convolver...) and output processed digital signal which then goes to DAC and gets analog.
Take a look at Yamaha R-N line like R-N1000A if you can find it for the budget. Try to find R-N803 (R-N803D) for 7~8 hundred € if inputs are satisfactory to your needs and if you can find one (disconnect last year). As all in one and easy to operate. YPAO isn't top notch but not really bad either.

OP
M

mnOrn

Alright, many thanks! Sorry, I still have a ton of questions :D

YPOA is Yamaha's proprietary measuring system, right?

The Yamaha A-S701 seems to still be widely available, is that also a good alternative? Can I ask why you are recommending the Yamaha amps? And most importantly (;)) do they allow me to use banana connectors? And I am guessing it has a pre-amp for my turntable, but the Cambridge Audio would be the preferred alternative?

I actually got a response from the manufacturer and they recommended Hegel and Accuphase (used to stay close to budget), what do you think of them? And what about Class-D-amps like the Topping LA-90 or PA7+ or the Hypex NC-400? Alternatively, I also heard good things about the Shiit amps. Most of these seems to be out of my budget, if I still have to get a pre-amp as well, but damn, they look interesting.

Michou

Hi there and thanks for the reply! So if I understand correctly, the MiniDSP Flex and the microphone are the tools needed to set up the speakers. Do you, by any chance, happen to have a good primer handy for how to use them and what exactly it is that they do? Also, you used DSP a couple of times in your post. From googling, all I could gather that a DSP is a digital signal processor but that it can also mean digital signal processing. For instance, when you refer to the preamp for the turntable, what exactly is the role of a DSP in that scenario? And what does loop back mean in that context?

Also, the Yamaha A-S700 doesn't appear to be widely available in Germany atm, do you have any good alternatives? And why would you counsel against the Topping amps/a tube pre-amp?

Many thanks and sorry to bombard you with a set of questions!
Equivalent, current model

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Yamaha A-S701 seems to still be widely available, is that also a good alternative?
This is a very nice choice and a good choice because it is priced so well, it is reliable, has good warranty and service support from Yamaha and will sound excellent. It is uncolored and that means it has not been made to a sound any way other than what the music actually sounds like. It will be able to properly drive and control your speakers and that's about all you will ever need is this model from Yamaha. I have a huge amount of experience with Yamaha as I was a retailer for Yamaha for several years and we sold semi-truckloads of Yamaha audio gear per week at that store never mind the entire chain of stores. Later I became a electronic technician and serviced Yamaha and it was a good product for service too. It's all around good stuff. As per banana jack compatibility refer to the Owners manual page I have posted below. For Euro models I suggest consulting with local experts to see if they are banana jack compatible.
Yamaha.png

I actually got a response from the manufacturer and they recommended Hegel and Accuphase (used to stay close to budget), what do you think of them?
Accuphase is Accuphase and that is a company that makes some of the nicest gear around. They supply parts for their gear for extended time periods and they charge an arm and a leg to buy the stuff because it so good. If you can afford Accuphase fly at it but don't expect night and day differences in sound quality. As per Hegel it's OK gear in some ways and in other ways it's not so leading and can be lacking in specific aspects that are unforgivable. Hegel stuff has been tested here at ASR and have been found to not be very high end at all. Be cautious when purchasing Hegel.
And what about Class-D-amps like the Topping LA-90 or PA7+ or the Hypex NC-400?
Topping has some really amazing models that perform excellently at a very affordable price and they often test very very well here @ ASR. There are a couple of models that are known to experience huge amounts of failures and even damage the peripheral equipment when doing that. For your speakers amplifier I don't recommend a Topping but that's just me. I'm sure there are peeps here that could steer you towards a Topping product that work OK. Hypex stuff is efficient, usually operates cooler and can be very powerful for small package size. I like some Hypex stuff but I don't have a operational knowledge of the specific models.
Alternatively, I also heard good things about the Shiit amps.
I have good success with Schiit stuff. I own a Schiit headphone amp that has not given me any issue for ~2 years and it is plugged in 24/7/365. The company had some issues some years ago and wised up and bought proper test gear and changed their ways in a big way and are now pretty good. So don't let anybody fool you into thinking it's sheit per say. The amps are decent and pretty cool in ways that are important. If you like Schiit gear you will most likely do well with that.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Because they are good and reliable (Yamahas). R-N uper line starting from R-N803 that have YPAO and YPAO variable loudness and to the sub out also with low/high self (probably pass) filters. Tho as you don't need for the time being at least sub's and output for it and I am on a dark side of use of potent DSP solution in order to integrate such I recommended best solo amplifier in a budget category that I know of (so that you may have money for MiniDSP and UMIK-1 left). The A-S700 & A-S7x/80x line share identical power amplifier (along with R-S700) but old property analog input stage is better (S to N rate & found on A-S700 & R-S700) then new one. All above R-S/A-S 200 has banana plugs support.
Edit: a comment from person who did listen to advice & Doodski used to sell a ton of Yamaha when he whose a dealer.
Screenshot_20240310-000258~2.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom